PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt Battery

Dave Fritz
03-04-2022, 11:19 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has tried these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LY9TRB3/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=5f415fe8b3582e8ff8ba8c0ee198045a&hsa_cr_id=6422603850301&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=92c81c03-c03b-478a-b4e7-65cea03a53e7&pd_rd_w=ZadOy&pd_rd_wg=eRVz6&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_td_asin_0_title

Much cheaper than DeWalt's and seem to have good reviews on Amazon.

Marc Fenneuff
03-04-2022, 11:58 AM
I no longer trust reviews on Amazon and I try to buy only items that I know are legit.

Michael Schuch
03-04-2022, 12:24 PM
When Dewalt came out with 20v batteries I bought up several used 18v tools that are really useful but I could never justify paying new prices for.

I also have several different after market 18v Dewalt batteries. I have some 18v NiMH after market Dewalt batteries about 5 years old now that have been excellent! Their plastic hasn't been near the quality of Dewalt plastic and the battery cases have several cracks in them but the batteries themselves have lasted very well and still seem to be full power. Of course going from Dewalt NiCads to after market NiMH made all the 18v tools MUCH better than new (18v NiMH batteries run at 20v)! I have several after market 18v LiIon batteries and they have been much more disappointing. They seem to last a couple of years and then will no longer recharge.

All of my Dewalt new style 20v batteries are Dewalt OEM. I haven't ventured into aftermarket 20v batteries yet. I am confident the aftermarket 20v batteries will have considerably inferior plastic and be considerably more fragile that Dewalt OEM. I have some rubber bumper covers for my Dewalt 20v batteries that I would definitely get if I ever tried an aftermarket 20v.

I like Fakespot for identifying blatantly fake Amazon reviews. The reviews of the batteries you link to do check out in Fakespot as not blatantly fake:.

These are the aftermarket Dewalt 20v rubber battery "bumpers" that I have and have been impressed with:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FJDSXRJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lisa Starr
03-04-2022, 12:37 PM
We haven't needed to purchase any batteries for DeWalt tools yet, but have had good luck with aftermarket ones for our Paslode nailers.

Bert McMahan
03-04-2022, 12:42 PM
Check out this video for some good comparison tests on off-brand vs name brand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjBiM0GQEe8

I wouldn't trust these Amazon reviews *at all*. There are 26 ratings, but only 3 people left reviews. Two of them (a full 66% of the reviews) say "These fit great in my Ryobi tools." The third just says "Everything works great." Hardly a raging endorsement. If you click that guy's name, he has three reviews, all of which just say "Works great." No substantive content at all, so he's either a bot account, a paid fake reviewer, or just someone who put it in his drill, spun it once, and reviewed it 5 stars.

If I had to guess, the batteries will be fine for light duty work. They won't put out as much torque in your drill or last as long in your flashlights but they'll be OK. They also may die after a year or so and won't have a warranty that's worth anything.

With batteries you really get what you pay for. Two 6 A-h batteries for $70 is shockingly cheap. If you're just kind of doing DIY work around the house these should be plenty fine for you. If you really use your tools a lot, I'd spring for legit ones. Check Ebay or Mercari; tons of people get kits and unload their brand new batteries for cheap on there. These batteries are INCREDIBLY cheap for the amount of power they're promising, so I'd guess in reality they don't have anywhere near 6.0 A-h of usable charge.

Myles Moran
03-04-2022, 5:21 PM
I no longer trust reviews on Amazon and I try to buy only items that I know are legit.

Agreed, Amazon reviews can be sketchy at best, and especially for something that could have a thermal runaway fire (cheap off brand lithium batteries) I'd only buy name brand from a known source, and only cry once when I'm name brand battery prices.

Dave Fritz
03-04-2022, 5:57 PM
Thanks for your input, some new information for me here, thanks. My DeWalt tools are all pretty old. I've had Interstate Battery's rebuild a couple of the batteries and I replaced the chuck on my drill. I tend to buy things and keep them. In looking at the information available it looks like there have been a lot of improvements in batterys. https://blog.acmetools.com/dewalt-battery-compatability/ I'm going to have to do some reading. I also tend to buy once and wear things out. I don't like to buy junk and try to get rid of it without dumping in a land fill.

Jim Becker
03-04-2022, 8:27 PM
I was able to buy a couple of actual DeWalt 14.4v batteries for the one cordless DeWalt tool I own about a year ago...at Home Depot actually. I had previously rebuilt the original batteries, but scarfing new was a nice find. I'd be wary of "no name" type solutions other than as a last resort. For the particular drill/driver in question, if the batteries I have now get to end of life, I'll just let the tool go as it gets little use.

Carl Beckett
03-05-2022, 7:15 AM
I also tend to buy once and wear things out. I don't like to buy junk and try to get rid of it without dumping in a land fill.

I went in circles with Makita batteries a few years back (threads here on the saga). Rebuilt some. But also picked up 6 of the no name knockoffs.

My experience is that the generic batteries 'work'. They fit the tool. They run the tool. But at lower capacity and they do not hold charge as long at all. Plus two have died. (those Amazon reviews are not to be trusted at all)

So I am always reaching for the tool that has the genuine batteries in them (even swap them out at times). I will not be buying generic batteries in the future.

Per your comment above my advice is just pay up for the latest Branded version.

YMMV

Chris Schoenthal
03-05-2022, 11:11 AM
I've got a ton of DeWalt batteries, primarily by waiting for Black Friday or other sales where you can get a new tool + 2 batteries & chargers for less than the price of 2 batteries alone.
I've also bought batteries off Craigslist that are still new in packaging for less than in the stores.

Rich Aldrich
03-05-2022, 12:11 PM
I have bought several DeWalt 20V batteries (OEM) off eBay at decent prices. They have been unopened and work fine. They are definitely lower prices than what you pay at a store. When you do a search, the hammer you with the knock offs in the results.