PDA

View Full Version : Buyer beware- too good of a deal to be true

Malcolm Schweizer
03-03-2022, 5:32 PM
I wanted to get a knife grinding belt sander, so I googled it, and wow- I didn’t know Grizzly sold one for $51. I went to Grizzly’s site, and they don’t. It’s $795. There are multiple sketchy websites offering it for $51 on Google ads. Fortunately, I knew better, but I could certainly see someone not knowing better.

The real price at Grizzly $796

Ron Citerone
03-03-2022, 8:43 PM
Funny thing, I googled A Dewalt 20v oscillating tool today. All within $10 except 2 offering it for 1/3 the price. I looked expecting to see rebuilt or remanufactured but didn’t. Too good to be true.

Bruce Wrenn
03-03-2022, 9:08 PM
I wanted to get a knife grinding belt sander, so I googled it, and wow- I didn’t know Grizzly sold one for $51. I went to Grizzly’s site, and they don’t. It’s $795. There are multiple sketchy websites offering it for $51 on Google ads. Fortunately, I knew better, but I could certainly see someone not knowing better.

The real price at Grizzly $796

Many you tubes showing how to build one. Look here, in both shop made tools and metal working forums for some ideas

Malcolm Schweizer
03-04-2022, 9:03 AM
Many you tubes showing how to build one. Look here, in both shop made tools and metal working forums for some ideas

Yes, I’ve considered that, and actually that’s why I was looking- cost analysis purposes. If it’s only going to be another $100 or so to buy one, I’ll just buy one. Seems these things are a whole lot more expensive than I had imagined. I say this admittedly without knowing details, but I’m just saying I expected to be able to get one for around $350 and I was very wrong.

Steve Eure
03-04-2022, 10:35 AM
Malcolm, are you looking to use one to make knives, or to just re-sharpen? I have a WorkSharp Ken Onion Edition that does a nice job sharpening. They have several different models that may fit your needs.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-04-2022, 5:19 PM
Malcolm, are you looking to use one to make knives, or to just re-sharpen? I have a WorkSharp Ken Onion Edition that does a nice job sharpening. They have several different models that may fit your needs.

I have a Worksharp, but I'm looking for a belt sander to fix badly abused knives. (I sharpen for people, and you'd be amazed how poorly professional chefs treat their knives.) The Worksharp works, but I really want something bigger that takes more metal off at a time.

Matt Day
03-05-2022, 8:14 AM
The scumbag scammers do that for just about everything. The try to sell $1000 RC cars for $75, and you receive a matchbox car. Sad they even are allowed ad space.

Bill Dufour
03-05-2022, 3:31 PM
What is their scam? do they just want your credit card info or what.
Bill D

Matt Day
03-07-2022, 2:29 PM
They take your money and either send you something way less expensive or don’t send you anything.

Roger Feeley
03-11-2022, 2:36 PM
When my dad was in high school around 1928, one of his friends brought an ad to biology class. It claimed to be bug killer 100% effective. The students pooled their money and sent in an order. What they got was two blocks of wood and some instructions, “Place bug on block A and strike sharply with block B.”

Dave Roock
03-11-2022, 3:22 PM
Beware of ALL excellent prices on used tools, new tools, heavy equipment, etc. This is how the feeble minded criminal groups steal your phone number & email address = all those fake emails and fake phone calls come mainly from some ad you answered. You can go on Craigslist right now and find fake ads for Bobcat machines & woodworking machines, trucks, cars etc. Most fake ads will not have a local phone number or real email. Create a new email address just for shopping and you will soon be bombarded with fake nonsense.

Bill Dufour
03-11-2022, 3:40 PM
Beware of ALL excellent prices on used tools, new tools, heavy equipment, etc. This is how the feeble minded criminal groups steal your phone number & email address = all those fake emails and fake phone calls come mainly from some ad you answered. You can go on Craigslist right now and find fake ads for Bobcat machines & woodworking machines, trucks, cars etc. Most fake ads will not have a local phone number or real email. Create a new email address just for shopping and you will soon be bombarded with fake nonsense.

Any ad like that with a phone number or web address pasted into the actual photo is a scam.

Kev Williams
03-22-2022, 11:25 AM
Have to laugh at this one, since you could beat me to a bloody pulp and I STILL wouldn't have McAfee on any of my computers...

No links in the email tho, just call to cancel... >cough<