PDA

View Full Version : Art gallery finish?

Bob Crimmins
03-03-2022, 2:04 PM
I'm working with an artist to fabricate a sculpture consisting of intersecting panels of various hardwoods. I've included a maquette below for reference. I'd like the finish to be lustrous but without being in any way shiny. Wood species will run the gamut, although mostly the softer ones... walnut, cherry, maple, teak, birch, etc. Any recommendations on process or finishes?

Thanks!

Jim Becker
03-03-2022, 2:24 PM
Rubio Monocoat or Osmo Polyex might be worthy of consideration based on your requirements.

Maurice Mcmurry
03-03-2022, 7:23 PM
If your maquette (had to google that) is full size you might try Watco Butcher Block Oil. It is easy to rub on and you can build or reduce sheen with the rubbing technique. It creates a golden amber hue on light woods.

Bob Crimmins
03-04-2022, 3:00 AM
Rubio Monocoat or Osmo Polyex might be worthy of consideration based on your requirements.

Thanks, Jim, I will try these out.

If your maquette (had to google that) is full size you might try Watco Butcher Block Oil. It is easy to rub on and you can build or reduce sheen with the rubbing technique. It creates a golden amber hue on light woods.

I like the idea of an oil. The sculptures will be a little larger than the maquette but under 3' tall... so not a ton of surface area. I will experiment. Glad you learned a new word of the day. :-)