PDA

View Full Version : OK, Who do I blame here.........

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-18-2006, 1:42 PM
.....I'm not kidding, one of you, or maybe a few of you "round" guys and/or gals must take the blame on this one.....

Oh yeah, I was just minding my own business, flipping through SMC, looking at all the lovely flatwork, then something caught my eye, a title on a thread like "Nice Butternut......" or "Yellowheart.......Bubinga" what the heck.....?

Now what are these guys talking about...I'd better go take a look at that stuff.....

I did not notice the thread was in the "Turners Forum", I'd been warned, so I stayed away until recently, but when you hit that "New Post" link/button, they give you ALL the new posts, even the ones from the non-flat areas of SMC.....

......so I get myself looking at all this round stuff, spinny stuff, GEORGOUS stuff.....and.....

yep, I'm sure I'm a goner now...........

I take one of the larger pieces of the Sakura (Cherry) that I have left, and my new electric chainsaw and chop it up into bowl blanks......

http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/round/cutting_blanks.jpg

http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/round/cutting_blanks2.jpg

The new saw cuts really well!!

I stop at four blanks, I have the wood for another 4 easy, but for today, I stop at four....

http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/round/rough_blanks1.jpg
OK there are the rough blanks.

I'm sitting there looking at these, and I'm thinking that while they are nice to look at, the grain is a little hard to see, so I figure I'll clean them up a bit.....

http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/round/slicing_blanks.jpg
Now while I'm doing this, Big Blue (That is my old Hitachi Re-saw bandsaw) starts telling me how this is the kind of work that he was BORN to do, slicing up this nice wood.....

OK, it is getting late, I've got a cold, runny nose, headache, the whole body aches, but for the last hour or so, I've felt fine....?

The I look at the cut blank and I think "Hmm, the lathe on auction says it will turn 15cm over the bed, so I wonder how big one of these blanks will be....

I get out the protractor thing I have and measure off about 12 cm, to make a 24 cm bowl.....

....Cool!!....

Now I look at the square piece of wood, with a circle scribed in it, and I think.....

"That just don't look right....."

...back to Big Blue....

http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/round/making_round3.jpg
Now that is looking better, nice and sort of round, I can see some nice grain here, and some interesting colors.....

http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/round/making_round5.jpg%5D
......so I do another one....

....the whole time, Big Blue is saying "Yeah, give me more, bet you can't bog me down!!"......and try as I might, I cannot....

http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/round/making_round_close_up1.jpg
...here is a close up of one of the blanks, looks nice, should be interesting, at least...

Heck, I don't even own a lathe yet......

Oh yeah, who is it that I blame for this............?

I'd like to thank them, that was fun...!

Cheers!

Keith Burns
01-18-2006, 1:58 PM
You have to blame yourself, for allowing yourself to be taken to the dark side:eek:. Once there, there is no escape:D

01-18-2006, 2:11 PM
....but....but.....

It was an honest mistake, I did not KNOW that the thread I looked at was in that dark place, I just clicked the link.....and.....and........................

..........sigh.............

Bottle stopper, yeah, that's the ticket.....bottle stoppers.....:D

John Hart
01-18-2006, 2:12 PM
Not my fault. Keith's right. Blame yourself.:cool: I'm not even gonna try to rescue you!

Welcome to the abyss :D

01-18-2006, 2:13 PM
Ya well....:rolleyes:

Hey, what should I do to these blanks now that I've cut them out of the log...?

Maybe in my haste I've done something wrong..?

Cheers!

Dick Parr
01-18-2006, 2:16 PM
Glad to see ya posting here Stu. I have missed your postings and Big Blue.

You got Big Blue down into the shop, you can get a nice big lathe down there also.:D But you have to post pictures of that fun job when you do it.:p Most of these fine folks have not seen the entrance to your shop, your a better man then me....;)

So Welcome to the Dark Side Stu, I know you will love the challenge.;) :D :rolleyes:

01-18-2006, 2:23 PM
Glad to see ya posting here Stu. I have missed your postings and Big Blue.

You got Big Blue down into the shop, you can get a nice big lathe down there also.:D But you have to post pictures of that fun job when you do it.:p Most of these fine folks have not seen the entrance to your shop, your a better man then me....;)

So Welcome to the Dark Side Stu, I know you will love the challenge.;) :D :rolleyes:
Thanks Dick I bet I'll have some fun here for sure....:)

You know, if you do a search on SMC with the name "Dick Parr" there sure seem to be a lot of threads with "Blame" or "Dick's Fault" in the title.....;):D

What do you do to get into so much fun....err... trouble...?:D

Cheers!

Tyler Howell
01-18-2006, 2:45 PM
You're toast Stu!! Just give in. Unlike the rest of us flat landers, you're too weak to resist:rolleyes: . We can't help you from this side:( .

Glenn Clabo
01-18-2006, 3:05 PM
.....I'm not kidding, one of you, or maybe a few of you "round" guys and/or gals must take the blame on this one.....

All I can say is...these are just a few...

Frank Chaffee
01-18-2006, 3:13 PM
Stu,
You’re a goner dude. Just thank your lucky rotations that you are in the northern hemisphere and will go down clockwise.
Frank

[EDIT: Clockwise when viewed from the back of the lathe that is.
Darn, now you spinny ones are making me dizzy!]

Carole Valentine
01-18-2006, 4:57 PM
All I can say is...these are just a few...
Hey! Don't include me in that "Dark Side" stuff! I'm not there - I am not a Neander using a spring pole lathe...I live on the ROUND SIDE!!!! ROUND! ROUND! ROUND! Ya'll can be dark and evil if ya want.:D:D:D:p:p:p

Jeff Sudmeier
01-18-2006, 5:00 PM
Ohh my ohh my stu!! You are in deep already and you don't even have the lathe! The dungeon is deep enough w/o falling in this hole!!!

Bob Noles
01-18-2006, 5:03 PM
Hey! Don't include me in that "Dark Side" stuff!

Carole..... everyone knows that turner's do not have a "side" ... everything is round :D

Glenn Clabo
01-18-2006, 5:36 PM
Okay...so shall we call it "The Round Side"?

Harry Pye
01-18-2006, 6:59 PM
Hey, what should I do to these blanks now that I've cut them out of the log...?
!

Well you could send them to me. And I won't tell anyone and you could forget all about turning! NOT! You are hooked.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-18-2006, 10:19 PM
The POWER of THE SPINNY is unstopable. IT has traveled around the world to a place of origin and Stu has been asimilated. All he has to do is get the Spinner and the circle will be complete.

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
01-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Yep, you're ready for the secret handshake. I believe Andy has the special instructions.

Ernie

John Bailey
01-19-2006, 6:29 AM
Can't wait to see how Stu hooks up a chainsaw to make it a lathe. My condolences Stu.

John

Rob Bourgeois
01-19-2006, 8:35 AM
Dont feel bad Stu..I started collecting wood in anticipation of one day buying a lathe. In fact it got so bad I had to <gasp> burn some of the pecan to make room for the lathe to fit in the shop. (Around here the only thing more prevelant than pecan is mosquitoes)

Then I bought a used lathe(60 year old Delta) and it mocked me while I was renovating it. Now it sits almost done( it works but it needs a final rust cleanup and paint--spring time job) and I am ready to get to it after I finish this coffee table and rocking horse.