PDA

View Full Version : Matching paint texture of 160 year old siding.

Roger Feeley
03-02-2022, 4:40 PM
My daughter wants to move her front door about six inches to the right. It sounds crazy but she has good reason. she also wants to reduce the width of the door from 39” to 36”.

The problem is that the house is 160 years old and the lap siding next to the door has about a hundred layers of paint. It also varies in width (height?). so I offered to make lap siding to fill the gaps.

They will cut some siding away from the right side of the door. They will also move the whole thing to the right creating a gap on the left. Fortunately, there’s a window close to the door so the laps I make won’t have to be very long.

So here’s my problem. There’s a built up texture on the old siding that I don’t know how to match. My stuff will be nice and new with one layer of paint.

Frank Pratt
03-02-2022, 5:00 PM
How about just applying many layers of paint? If you apply a thick layer overtop of another thick layer that hasn't fully dried yet, it will even crack some, simulating age. Remember that the old siding will almost certainly have lead paint on it.

Jerome Stanek
03-02-2022, 5:43 PM
You may be able to match it with some dura bond or easy sand compound

Tom M King
03-02-2022, 7:20 PM
Need closeup picture, and picture of that side of the house.

Paul F Franklin
03-02-2022, 7:52 PM
Is there somewhere else on the house where you could take some siding where the replacement wouldn't be as noticeable as it will be next to the front door?

Bill Dufour
03-03-2022, 12:16 AM
fog coat?
Bill D.

Roger Feeley
03-03-2022, 7:34 AM
fog coat?
Bill D.
I’ll look into fog coating and thick paint in general. I’ve never set out to make something look crappy until I moved to Virginia.
I hunted (casually) for two years for oak diseased enough to match my “character oak” flooring.

Maurice Mcmurry
03-03-2022, 7:37 AM
Sherwin Willams SuperDeck Deck and Dock coating Can be sculpted with a wad of plastic, fine or coarse brush, roller, comb, etc. If you post an image I will pass it along to the faux experts.

Bill Dufour
03-03-2022, 11:59 AM
Truck bed liner, roofing sealer and grafting sealer make good things to brush on vibrating metal parts to stop sound. So you have a use for what does not go onto the wood.
Bill D