PDA

View Full Version : Picture posting question?

CPeter James
01-18-2006, 12:37 PM
How do you get the pictures to post directly without the thumbnails?

CPeter

tod evans
01-18-2006, 12:53 PM

CPeter

try cut and paste in word? but i know nothing about computers....tod

Marty Walsh
01-18-2006, 1:23 PM

CPeter

CPeter,

Post the picture somewhere, (your own website, one of the many free picture posting sites, etc.). Bring the (posted) picture up in your browser, right click on it and select Properties. This will give you the address (url) of the picture. Type in the text of your post, and where you want a picture, click on the 'Insert Image' icon above the text entry box. This will prompt you for an address, which you obtained when you right clicked on the posted picture. Insert that address and voila!

(At least that's how I do it. There may be other options...)

Hope this helps...
- Marty -

Keith Outten
01-18-2006, 3:20 PM
We do prefer that pictures be uploaded directly to SMC rather than using an offsite host. When Links or hosts change the picture will no longer be associated with the thread. Later on when we offer SMC on DVD's the pictures that aren't on our server won't be included on the disks and won't be available for offline viewing.

The SMC archives are always available, we don't delete threads after a period of time. Remember that we are just the Current Members and there may very well be several generations of woodworkers that will be here long after we are gone. It would be a shame to lose all the hard work that everyone puts into their posts and not have them available in the future. Your grandson may very well be here one day reading your messages and looking at the pictures that his Grandfather shared

What happens when SMC gets too large for our server? The vBulletin software we use is capable of spreading the load across multiple servers. We can easilly host the database from one machine and the pictures and other support documents from another and in the future we can split SMC across many machines if necessary.

Those of you who are concerned about ownership of your pictures our TOS clearly states that you remain the owner of your pictures. Some forums assume ownership of all pictures that are uploaded, SMC does not. We simply have the right to publish them which is necessary for you to share them here in the first place.

Please post your pictures here at SMC so they will be available in the future.

Marty Walsh
01-18-2006, 3:39 PM
Keith,

Duly noted!

I guess I'm used to using other forums that all but demand the use of offsite hosting for pics. Is there a limit to the amount of storage users can occupy with all their attachments?

- Marty -

CPeter James
01-18-2006, 5:11 PM
My other hobby, I know it is very off topic. I use it to push the shavings and sawdust over the bank.

http://members.localnet.com/~cpjvkj/jd40c.jpg

CPeter

Jim Becker
01-18-2006, 5:34 PM
There you have it! And you also now have an avitar...

CPeter James
01-18-2006, 5:49 PM
Thanks, Jim

CPeter

Halsey MCCombs
01-18-2006, 6:43 PM
You look good on green. Now about those oak shavings they must be heavy.Halsey

Ernie Kuhn
01-18-2006, 7:07 PM
Help,
Want to post, know how to do it but don't know the max picture/file size in KB? If I post a picture with dimensions of 5" x 5" and 100 KB will it automatically be reduced to thumbnail and enlarge to full size when someone clicks on it? Bear in mind, I am computer, functionally illiterate.
Thanks all
Ernie

Keith Outten
01-18-2006, 7:39 PM
Marty,

We haven't given much thought to placing a limit on the number of pictures. We do prohibit linking to pictures we host to any source outside of SMC. This consumes bandwidth and server time that is here for the exclusive use of SMC Members.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Ernie,

The file size limitation here is just over 100kb, so keep your pictures at 100 or less and they will be fine. I use various file sizes for the pictures I upload, I adjust the picture size as necessary to keep the detail clear enough to see. I just uploaded an 800 by 600 picture in another thread that was 73kb in file size, well beneath the SMC limit. Aaron Koehl has turned on the thumbnail feature here at the Creek to save some bandwidth so they are automatically created by the vBulletin software, unless they are Gifs. There is some kind of technical problem with Gif thumbnails right now but I expect it will be solved shortly.

Bill Fellmy
01-18-2006, 8:39 PM
Thanks guys for inspiring me to finally get an avatar posted. It's always good to be able to put a face with a name! :D

Ernie Kuhn
01-19-2006, 1:35 AM
Kieth,
Thank you so much for giving this non-computer literati and answer I can understand. Really appreciate your help. Will be posting pics of a flat urn shortly, for constructive criticism.
Thanks again,
Ernie

Mark Riegsecker
01-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys for inspiring me to finally get an avatar posted. It's always good to be able to put a face with a name! :D

I want to be inspired too but my results are:
"This is not a valid image file."

I'm going into edit avatar is this the place to begin?