PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Quartersawn Ash

Bob Coleman
03-02-2022, 11:40 AM
Hi All,

I'm looking for a quartersawn ash board. Size really only needs to be 2' x 2 1/4" x 1 1/2". The 2 1/4" is the quartersawn/radial dimension. Happy to buy a larger board and have extra, but I can't find anything in that thickness! Anybody know a small sawmill, have a board lying around, have a good source, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Charles Coolidge
03-02-2022, 12:47 PM
One of our local hardwood suppliers has quartersawn 5/4 Ash in stock but not in that thickness. Maybe pick through the flatsawn in thicker dimensions to find a piece of quartersawn.

Paul Haus
03-02-2022, 1:36 PM
Around here, finding anything in Ash is difficult at best and when you find it then it's usually overpriced. Good luck.

Jim Becker
03-02-2022, 8:17 PM
I believe that Mr Holcomb gets it from Horizon Wood Products in NW PA.

al ladd
03-03-2022, 8:05 AM
Slice off two pieces 1.5" wide from a plain sawn 6/4 board , or 3 pieces from a 4/4 board, and glue it up. I use this technique often for when I need quartersawn for stability reasons. The glueline is usually undetectable if your need is aesthetic. Or : https://goosebaylumber.net/wood-products/ash a single slice from 12/4 board....

Phillip Mitchell
03-03-2022, 9:29 AM
I have a generous pile of Ash shorts from past projects (lots of Ash this past year) and went to a chunk near the top of the stack. Look at the grain on the left 4-5 inches. This is an 8/4 thick board.

I’m happy to ship this to you for ~ $20 + actual shipping, but it probably won’t be cheap to ship....compared to finding a single board locally and cutting out the rift/quartered sections along the edges of a wider flatsawn board.

johnny means
03-03-2022, 8:58 PM
Too bad you're not near me, thanks to the emerald ash borer, I'm up to my neck in ash.

Maurice Mcmurry
03-03-2022, 9:12 PM
And what about Ash Borers in general. Dad used Ash a lot and always made sure it was fumigated? I matched some 1972 Ash cabinets for a remodel. The new cabinets started dropping saw dust on the counter tops right away. I had to go back and color putty a whole lot of tiny holes in all of the doors and face frames.

johnny means
03-03-2022, 9:35 PM
And what about Ash Borers in general. Dad used Ash a lot and always made sure it was fumigated? I matched some 1972 Ash cabinets for a remodel. The new cabinets started dropping saw dust on the counter tops right away. I had to go back and color putty a whole lot of tiny holes in all of the doors and face frames.

Ash borer are a big problem in my area. Affected trees are being cut down wholesale to control the spread. Logs are pretty much free if you can move them.

Jim Becker
03-04-2022, 9:25 AM
I lost every single ash tree on our old property over the past five years. I did get some milled toward the end, but had to let a lot go to waste.

Johnny, can you employ that rich supply for your shop build by any chance, perhaps for interior walls, etc.?

James Jayko
03-04-2022, 1:12 PM
Mike Pekovich did a recent article on a desk organizer in quartersawn ash. He actually cut it, turned each cut piece 90 degrees, and reglued it as ash is hardly ever quartersawn. For a piece of the size you're looking for, seems like a good enough solution that you can probably glue up from scraps.

Steve Marcq
03-04-2022, 9:46 PM
I have 3 four foot long clear ash boards, about an inch thick, and perfectly quartersawn. Dunno if one of those works for you cut in half and glued up? Happy to ship it if it helps you out.

Steve

johnny means
03-05-2022, 2:07 PM
I lost every single ash tree on our old property over the past five years. I did get some milled toward the end, but had to let a lot go to waste.

Johnny, can you employ that rich supply for your shop build by any chance, perhaps for interior walls, etc.?

It's earmarked for Longwood Gardens new bonsai shop.

Jim Becker
03-05-2022, 2:10 PM
It's earmarked for Longwood Gardens new bonsai shop.

Oooh, nice...I will have to visit that for sure!!! We go every few years to have a nice walk around.