PDA

View Full Version : For those vets that buy lumber at lowes

Thomas Colson
03-01-2022, 8:24 PM
Not that a lot of WW lumber gets bought at lowes, but I do occasionally get some plywood there, and lumber for jigs, shelves, and what is now my 5th workshop expansion. The 10% off has been noticeable in these crazy prices.

They're ending the military discount on lumber (and some other building supplies) march 9th.

It's a corporate decision, be kind to the cashiers! HD ended it for building supplies last year. 84 lumber, as far I know, will give a vet discount depending on who's behind the counter.

Stan Calow
03-01-2022, 8:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not finding anything official online yet.

Thomas Colson
03-01-2022, 9:00 PM
It'll be the same was as the BORG rolled out the QR code thing: told no one, including the stores, and cashiers and customers only found out after they turned it on....

John Goodin
03-01-2022, 9:42 PM
From a margin standpoint lumber has one of the smallest in the home centers. From what I understand, lighting and plumbing fixtures are two areas where they make a killing.

lou Brava
03-01-2022, 9:48 PM
Holy crap Lowes profits have sky rocketed in the last 7 quarters up over 33% ! They took in over 95 Billion in 2021 ! And forecast a better 2022
And there going to take away your 10% I think that's beyond disgusting I will not shop there any longer.

John Ziebron
03-01-2022, 11:02 PM
At least Home Depot still has their 11% matching rebate whenever Menards has theirs. As I understand it though it's only HD stores that have a Menards near by.

johnny means
03-01-2022, 11:03 PM
I'll be going to Lowes several times in the near future. Guess my lumber won't be discounted. Then again, why should it be?

Thomas Colson
03-02-2022, 7:26 AM
I'll be going to Lowes several times in the near future. Guess my lumber won't be discounted. Then again, why should it be?

As a kind gesture to the service the veterans have performed for this country, that allow a company like lowes to exist? You think vet's shouldn't get a nod in the form of a discount? I also liked the "vets only" parking spaces they put up next to the pro parking spaces. Nice gesture.

Earl McLain
03-02-2022, 1:51 PM

I agree with Mr. Colson below. I'll add that i'd be willing to pay a little more so You could pay a little less--because YOU helped make it possible for me to do that. Same with my second son.

Thanks for Your service Johnny!!
earl

Bill Space
03-02-2022, 3:19 PM
From a margin standpoint lumber has one of the smallest in the home centers. From what I understand, lighting and plumbing fixtures are two areas where they make a killing.

Yea, they probably only mark up 30%...so giving vets 10% off is going to kill them?

Granted I have no idea what the mark up is...but the point remains the same...

Greg Funk
03-02-2022, 4:35 PM
Yea, they probably only mark up 30%...so giving vets 10% off is going to kill them?

Granted I have no idea what the mark up is...but the point remains the same...Markup across the board for HD is around 50% (34% gross margin)

Bernie Kopfer
03-02-2022, 7:13 PM

Thank you for saying what needs to be said. Glad that corporate America has decided that non disabled veterans should be treated like all other citizens.

Keegan Shields
03-03-2022, 12:13 PM
As veterans, we aren't entitled to any kind of discount from anyone. But I appreciate the military discounts when I come across them.

I don't understand comments where fellow veterans feel entitled to some discount which was intended as a nice gesture. Lowes is free to do what they want as a private business.

To each their own I suppose. Freedom!

Ray Newman
03-03-2022, 1:16 PM
Spent July '65 to March '67 in Vietnam and I could care less about a “vets discount”.

I am more concerned with medical treatment and compensation for exposure to Agent Orange and the burn pits, where we burned the excess powder bags (along with gawd knows what else) from the 105 howitzers….

James Baldwin
03-03-2022, 2:24 PM
Home Depot revamped their Military Discount Program the first of the year . You have to go on line to apply. Prove you were in. Then down load their App. Then when you check out scan the QR code on your phone.

Jerry Thompson
03-03-2022, 6:44 PM
What if one does not have a phone that scans?

Patty Hann
03-05-2022, 11:44 PM
I'm in that boat...I own a Star Trek "dumb phone".
For now I have been ordering stuff from HD online, where it automatically enters the discount, then go to the store to pick up the order.
If the item is in already on the shelves of that store you can get the item the same day.
It's a bit more cumbersome doing it that way, but I'm in no [financial] position to shell out several hundred dollars for a smart phone just for one app.
I don't use the dumb phone except for car trouble which is rare.
I'm a long standing member of the Triple L club (Land Line Luddite)

Bryan Hall
03-06-2022, 12:09 AM
Bummer. It's disappointing to see the vet discounts cut. I'm a vet, so I notice it. Home depot limits it to a total of $400 off per year, but you can buy anything you want. Lowes was always a standout for vets (show up on veterans day and make a purchase as a vet and they send you home with a custom thanks to vets gift) so to see them cutting the lumber discount is a bummer. That being said, I know that lumber has next to no markup on it. So they really are taking a loss at 10% The HD prodesk explained to me once the same thing about concrete. If one bag of concrete falls off the pallet and is ruined, that blows the margin for the whole pallet. Seems ridiculous, but true.

Jerome Stanek
03-06-2022, 8:24 AM
I'm in that boat...I own a Star Trek "dumb phone".
For now I have been ordering stuff from HD online, where it automatically enters the discount, then go to the store to pick up the order.
If the item is in already on the shelves of that store you can get the item the same day.
It's a bit more cumbersome doing it that way, but I'm in no [financial] position to shell out several hundred dollars for a smart phone just for one app.
I don't use the dumb phone except for car trouble which is rare.
I'm a long standing member of the Triple L club (Land Line Luddite)

Just get an old smart phone and load the app you don't need a plan just use the wifi connection

Ted Calver
03-06-2022, 9:42 AM
Not just lumber. Locally, the discount will also go away on appliances and some electrical stuff, effective March 8. Nobody is entitled to a discount, but I've always been happy to take advantage of any discounts offered...even the one from the kid at the fast food place who gave me my first senior discount without asking. :p