PDA

View Full Version : Transome Window?

Carroll Courtney
03-01-2022, 6:02 PM
Guys I am day dreaming again of my retirement home. I am visualizing a entrance door with a transome window above the door with the hardware to open it for that breath of clean air. I am looking at Van Dykes hardware for opening that window so was wondering if anyone has installed this type of hardware and if it actual works or not?
https://www.vandykes.com/transom-window-operator/p/204926/

Steve Rozmiarek
03-02-2022, 8:50 AM
Yes it works fine, as long as the window doesn't stick. I've used it on interior transoms with no problems. Exterior windows and their seals will be a little stiffer, so expect a little more resistance. You'll also need to consider the latch system if you want to lock the window. No reason it won't work though, that was original design intent.

Paul Haus
03-03-2022, 3:16 AM
Would it work, I suspect yes. Security could be an issue though so figure that into the mix also. Good luck.

Dave Sabo
03-03-2022, 7:56 AM
Of course they work.

But most people prefer not to look at the hardware, so they have fallen out of favor. Their need has also been supplanted by HVAC systems.

Carroll Courtney
03-04-2022, 7:15 AM
Thanks guys, its just an idea. When weather permits we are an open window family (wife & I) which my plan was to put one at both exterior doors to provide little bit air circulation since having 10' ceilings in such a small house 1000 sq ft. Waiting on lumber prices to get started which who knows when that will be.