PDA

View Full Version : Looking For An HVLP Gun...

Derek Arita
03-01-2022, 5:55 PM
The one I've been using is a Woodriver gun. I thought it was a good one, but it was always finicky to use. I'm now looking for a decent gun that doesn't cost a fortune, but one that will easy to use, as I'm just hobby woodworker and I mostly spray waterborne poly. Oh...I also have a HF gun that I use when I'm not in the mood to play with the WR.

Gary Markham
03-01-2022, 7:40 PM
I use this one from Home Depot and like it. I tried the purple hf gun and think this one is much better
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Gravity-Feed-HVLP-Spray-Gun-H4840GHVSG/203497519

gary

Jim Becker
03-01-2022, 7:47 PM
Thanks to John T, I have a nice HPLV conversion gun from Jeff Jewitt that has the 3M PPS cup system. It works well with pretty much any finish I've tried. It was about the best $380 investment I've made in finishing ever...

Derek Arita
03-01-2022, 8:25 PM
Thanks to John T, I have a nice HPLV conversion gun from Jeff Jewitt that has the 3M PPS cup system. It works well with pretty much any finish I've tried. It was about the best $380 investment I've made in finishing ever...

Jim, exactly which model is the one you have? I use the 3M gravity feed cup system.

David Buchhauser
03-02-2022, 2:27 AM
The one I've been using is a Woodriver gun. I thought it was a good one, but it was always finicky to use. I'm now looking for a decent gun that doesn't cost a fortune, but one that will easy to use, as I'm just hobby woodworker and I mostly spray waterborne poly. Oh...I also have a HF gun that I use when I'm not in the mood to play with the WR.

I have several of the Harbor Freight HVLP gravity feed guns and they work great for my application - auto body painting. These particular guns can be upgraded using Sata internals, but I have never felt the need to do so. I spray Dupont Acrylic Urethane single stage with these. The last car I painted with this gun was this 1940 Ford Tudor and it came out great. Basically show quality.
David

Jim Becker
03-02-2022, 9:20 AM
Jim, exactly which model is the one you have? I use the 3M gravity feed cup system.

I have the Qualspray 6008...same gun that John T uses and I really, really like it. I kept my old Wagner gun around dedicated to shellac and use the "good gun" for waterborne finishes. Mine is HPLV but there's also a LVLP version, too.

https://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/products-we-offer/hvlp-spray-equipment/qualspray-hvlp-guns/

Jeff offers these guns in a kit with the 3M PPS system included...the actual selling gets done on his EBAY store at the link to the right of that page with the table.

Andrew More
03-02-2022, 9:55 AM
I use this one from Home Depot and like it. I tried the purple hf gun and think this one is much better
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Gravity-Feed-HVLP-Spray-Gun-H4840GHVSG/203497519

gary

I second the recommendation of the Husky brand guns. Usually run waterbased poly through mine, and I've gotten excellent results with no fiddling.

Derek Arita
03-02-2022, 10:14 AM
I have the Qualspray 6008...same gun that John T uses and I really, really like it. I kept my old Wagner gun around dedicated to shellac and use the "good gun" for waterborne finishes. Mine is HPLV but there's also a LVLP version, too.

https://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/products-we-offer/hvlp-spray-equipment/qualspray-hvlp-guns/

Jeff offers these guns in a kit with the 3M PPS system included...the actual selling gets done on his EBAY store at the link to the right of that page with the table.
I just looked at the gun on the ebay site. I don't know a lot about spray guns, but can this gun be used with my gravity feed, 3M cup system?

Jim Becker
03-02-2022, 10:55 AM
I just looked at the gun on the ebay site. I don't know a lot about spray guns, but can this gun be used with my gravity feed, 3M cup system?

No. It's a bottom cup setup, with pressure feed, not gravity feed. It will spray nearly "anything" you want to put through it, unlike many gravity feed guns. Comes with 1.0mm, 1.3mm and 1.8mm N/N sets in that respect. The gun employs 5-8 psi of pressure in the cup to compress the liner and move the material into and through the gun. I encourage you to contact Jeff with any questions...he's a nice fellow. He's also a very accomplished luthier in addition to his finishing books and products, doing stunning acoustic instruments.

John TenEyck
03-02-2022, 10:59 AM

No, the AM-6008 is a bottom feed gun with a pressurized cup and requires a PPS H/O cup. Depending upon the size of your current PPS cup system, however, you may be able to use the same liners and lids.

If you are looking for an extremely versatile gun, one that can spray most anything from water-based dye, to shellac, to clear coats, to many paints (some with thinning), and don't want to spend a fortune, then this is a good gun to consider.

If you just want to spray clearcoats, however, the HF purple gun works really well, as David said, and it's a bargain.

John