dennis thompson
03-01-2022, 5:04 PM
Sweeping up. Pattern by Garnet Hall

Frederick Skelly
03-01-2022, 8:28 PM
That's neat Dennis!

Keith Outten
03-02-2022, 12:04 PM
Nice job on the clown Dennis, how many hours did it take?

dennis thompson
03-02-2022, 6:58 PM
Keith
I would guess it took 30-35 hours. I had to make many of the parts several times to fit them in.

Ron Citerone
03-02-2022, 8:46 PM
That is so cool Dennis!

Mark Rainey
03-04-2022, 8:07 AM
Nice Dennis, did you use a scroll saw? If so, are you familiar with all the different blades available? I find them confusing.

dennis thompson
03-05-2022, 6:48 AM
Nice Dennis, did you use a scroll saw? If so, are you familiar with all the different blades available? I find them confusing.

I did use a scroll saw and I too am familiar all the different blades and find them confusing. I mostly use Pegas or blades from Mikes workshop. But to be honest I can’t tell you the difference between the two. When I bought my Pegas scroll saw there was a page included showing 75 or so different blade recommendations! It is a good guide,I guess I ought to take another look at it:)

Phil Mueller
03-05-2022, 8:59 AM
Mark, I’m new to scroll sawing; recently picked up a used Dewalt from a fellow creeker. Yes, blades are confusing. Rather than try to figure out one or two blades for use, I just decided to buy a large variety. For my simple mind it came down to TPI and material thickness. I bought skip tooth and reverse tooth in TPIs from 28tpi to 9.5tipi - #2s, 5s, 7s, 9s and 12s. That should cover everything from thin veneer to 3/4” material. Basically, the thicker the material, the lower the TPI. Reverse tooth tends to leave a cleaner bottom cut when both sides will be seen. I figure I’ll be prepared for whatever I decide to cut.

I also bought #2 and #5 crown tooth blades for cutting out 1/8” plexiglass patterns - worked great.

Mark Rainey
03-05-2022, 1:52 PM
Mark, I’m new to scroll sawing; recently picked up a used Dewalt from a fellow creeker. Yes, blades are confusing. Rather than try to figure out one or two blades for use, I just decided to buy a large variety. For my simple mind it came down to TPI and material thickness. I bought skip tooth and reverse tooth in TPIs from 28tpi to 9.5tipi - #2s, 5s, 7s, 9s and 12s. That should cover everything from thin veneer to 3/4” material. Basically, the thicker the material, the lower the TPI. Reverse tooth tends to leave a cleaner bottom cut when both sides will be seen. I figure I’ll be prepared for whatever I decide to cut.

I also bought #2 and #5 crown tooth blades for cutting out 1/8” plexiglass patterns - worked great.
Thanks for the information Phil…I have a fret saw & the blades are interchangeable.

Christopher Charles
03-10-2022, 2:50 PM
Nice work Dennis! And I agree scroll saw blades are impossible to keep straight...