PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Hybrid 22114 Tablesaw alignment

Fred Millard
02-28-2022, 1:21 PM
Hello All,

I recently have tore down the craftsman hybrid 22114 table saw to fine tune it. My projects lately have been turning into more precision needed than what I was getting out of the saw. Awhile back I let my brother in law borrow it, and when I got it back it was badly misaligned. To get it to where it was acceptable for the projects I had been tackling I had to open up the holes that mount the table to the cabinet. I also notices my wheel to tilt the arbor wasnt easy to operate. It would go from hard to easy while rotating it.

Upon disassembly I found that the shaft that the hand wheel was mounted too had a bend in it. I can only guess that at some point of moving the saw the saw was either dropped or banged pretty good, enough so that I think the Cabinet/Base might be tweaked. How accurate should the trunnions be in relationship the the base? If I use the inside edge of the top of the base that run parallel to the blade, the best I can get with the current holes for the trunnions is about 0.15" from the front to back of the blade on the same spot on the blade. Ultimately isn't what really matters is the miter slot to the blade? But I think with the cabinet that far off is the reason I had to open up the holes table.

So I guess my ultimate question is should I try to get the trunnions more square to the base by messing with those mounting holes, or just focus on getting the miter slot true to the blade?

Thanks
Fred

Fred Millard
03-12-2022, 7:17 PM
Just an update on this. I couldn't get the saw aligned at both 90 and 45 and it seemed I was chasing my tail. I tore the saw back down and checked the tie rod tubes that run to either trunnion with ceramic tile. Sure enough there was rocking. So I tried and tried to get those adjusted parallel and again was going in circles. Upon closer inspection I have finally found the true culprit. The casting that accepts into the casting has a big ole crack in it. I suspect at some point the saw was laid on its side and the motor flipped up and torqued that casting. Luckily my cousin is pretty good with welding cast iron. I can clamp and close the gap, so I plan to bevel the crack and have him weld it back true. But for anyone struggling with alignment, be sure to check that the tie rods have racked out of being true.

Fred475734475735475736

Curt Harms
03-13-2022, 9:15 AM
Ouch. Those "zip code saws" have a pretty good reputation. I hope your cousin is able to get everything back where it belongs.