PDA

View Full Version : Freud hand held router FT2200VCE bit is moving

Brian Runau
02-28-2022, 11:54 AM
I use this to do hand work and it has worked fine over the years. I have it set right now to do some template work and it is/was set for 5/16" depth. Bit seems to be tight in the collect and the locking lever is/was tight. This morning as I was routing 16 spots on night stand legs to let in a wooden string that runs front to back on the side so I can screw my linear guides to it, the depth moved from the 5/16 to 3/8". I tested it on scrap with the set for the right depth before I began and to my best knowledge everything was locked down properly.

How could the bit move like this to increase the depth of cut by a 1/16"?

Thanks.

Brian

Adam Herman
02-28-2022, 12:04 PM
clean out the collet and bit shaft with some scotchbrite or similar. assuming it moved in the collet.

Brian Runau
02-28-2022, 12:15 PM
clean out the collet and bit shaft with some scotchbrite or similar. assuming it moved in the collet.

Thanks brian

glenn bradley
02-28-2022, 1:48 PM
Good collet maintenance gets critical with depth critical cuts. Up-cut bits can act like screws if things aren’t clean and tight.

Jim Becker
02-28-2022, 2:47 PM
Cleaning the collet is the first step, but the collet itself may need to be replaced. They are wear items and do not last forever. For those of us using CNC machines and ER collets, the mere act of dropping one pretty much means replacement, too. Tooling moving in a "tight" collet can be quite dangerous, actually, not just ruinous to the workpiece in some circumstances. The tooling, itself, should also be checked to be sure it's smooth and not damaged where it engages the collet.

Lloyd McKinlay
02-28-2022, 3:34 PM
I had a similar problem using an lightly used Akeda dovetail router bit in a Porter Cable router--the height kept changing a fraction. After trying several possible remedies I finally ordered a new bit, problem solved. I'm guessing the bit slightly dulled and put additional pressure on the 8mm shank.

Brian Runau
02-28-2022, 4:24 PM
Cleaning the collet is the first step, but the collet itself may need to be replaced. They are wear items and do not last forever. For those of us using CNC machines and ER collets, the mere act of dropping one pretty much means replacement, too. Tooling moving in a "tight" collet can be quite dangerous, actually, not just ruinous to the workpiece in some circumstances. The tooling, itself, should also be checked to be sure it's smooth and not damaged where it engages the collet.

Jim, thanks, are collects a universal fit item? Brian

Jim Becker
02-28-2022, 4:40 PM
Jim, thanks, are collects a universal fit item? Brian
No, not with routers...brand and model specific. You will need collets designed for the Freud router you have, regardless of source. In the CNC world, there are ER standard collet systems in multiple sizes/weights to match the power of the spindle, however.

Brian Runau
02-28-2022, 5:19 PM
No, not with routers...brand and model specific. You will need collets designed for the Freud router you have, regardless of source. In the CNC world, there are ER standard collet systems in multiple sizes/weights to match the power of the spindle, however.

Thanks Jim, any idea where I can get this specific collet & nut? thanks brian

Jim Becker
02-28-2022, 5:22 PM
A quick Google search for "FT2200VCE Collet) presents some possibilities, but there's also a lot of evidence that it's a tough machine to find parts for at this point.

Patrick Varley
02-28-2022, 6:14 PM
Thanks Jim, any idea where I can get this specific collet & nut? thanks brian

Can confirm that parts are now in short supply. I recently posted about options for upgrading my router setup, which is an FT2000E.

Derek recommended Musclechuck as an option which not only replaces the collet and nut but, but adds a "quick change" to it. I actually bought one, but found that for some reason it did not fit even though it was listed as compatible onthe site. Still waiting for a response on the exchange, but may be worth reaching out to see if they have an option.

Our of curiosity, what is the size of the nut across the flats for your Freud FT2200VCE?

Richard Coers
02-28-2022, 6:38 PM
Were you using a spiral bit? They add some forces that can move a bit. Jim is right, collets wear into an hour glass shape in the inside diameter and loose holding power.

Brian Runau
02-28-2022, 9:03 PM
Were you using a spiral bit? They add some forces that can move a bit. Jim is right, collets wear into an hour glass shape in the inside diameter and loose holding power.

Yes spiral bit. Brian

Brian Runau
03-01-2022, 7:06 AM
Can confirm that parts are now in short supply. I recently posted about options for upgrading my router setup, which is an FT2000E.

Derek recommended Musclechuck as an option which not only replaces the collet and nut but, but adds a "quick change" to it. I actually bought one, but found that for some reason it did not fit even though it was listed as compatible onthe site. Still waiting for a response on the exchange, but may be worth reaching out to see if they have an option.

Our of curiosity, what is the size of the nut across the flats for your Freud FT2200VCE?

Patrick, I found out Bosch took over for Freud and I contacted them and they gave me their #'s for these. Could not find the 1/4", but did find the 1/2" here. They have 2 left in stock.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/bosch-collet-and-nut-p-72563.html

474923 (https://www.ereplacementparts.com/bosch-collet-and-nut-p-72563.html)

Kevin Jenness
03-01-2022, 8:42 AM
A new collet is a good idea. Another possible culprit is an undersized bit shank. Have you measured it?

Rich Engelhardt
03-01-2022, 3:25 PM
Could not find the 1/4", but did find the 1/2" here. They have 2 left in stock.Follow your link then click on the "Frequently bought with" link and it takes you to the 1/4". They show 10 in stock.

Curt Harms
03-02-2022, 8:59 AM
A quick Google search for "FT2200VCE Collet) presents some possibilities, but there's also a lot of evidence that it's a tough machine to find parts for at this point.

I have an FT2000E. Bosch is supposed to provide support, Bosch bought Freud's power tools business (or something like that). Elaire corp. has collets for a number of different makes of routers. I think it might be the same as the collet as for the 3 h.p. DeWalt router. Elaire doesn't list the Freud specifically but I'd give them a call.

Patrick Varley
03-02-2022, 1:56 PM
Thanks Brian. That's interesting on the Bosch router part number. It's listed as the same collet nut as the 1617 which I also have. So I went out and tried to put the 1617 nut/collet on the Freud 2000E, but no dice...too small.

The Musclechuck compatibility said that the Freud and DW625 collet nuts should be the same, as Curt H suggests. However that still didn't fit. Seemed to be sized appropriately but the threads didn't engage.

In the end, I got frustrated and therefore my new Triton TRA001 is on it's way along with a new Incra Plate. The Freud was working well (outside of the bypassed speed switch), but I decided that even if I could get things working I didn't want to build a new table around something for which it was so hard to source parts.

Brian Runau
03-02-2022, 4:56 PM
I have an FT2000E. Bosch is supposed to provide support, Bosch bought Freud's power tools business (or something like that). Elaire corp. has collets for a number of different makes of routers. I think it might be the same as the collet as for the 3 h.p. DeWalt router. Elaire doesn't list the Freud specifically but I'd give them a call.

They did for a while, but no longer. Brian

Frank Pratt
03-02-2022, 5:15 PM
Keep in mind that even with a new, clean collet and bits, the collet still needs to be done up TIGHT. Those short wrenches that come with the router really need to have substantial force applied.

Mel Fulks
03-02-2022, 8:48 PM
I had 1 router bit that moved no matter how well it was tightened. It was one of the cheap ones and it was graciously and quickly
replaced ,and they told me to not send back the other one. The bit should be pushed to the bottom of collet then withdrawn about 1/8th.
Failure to leave that space can make the bit move a little ,or even fly out. One experienced old timer told me “I ain’t ever heard that before”,
a little later he had a bit move and spoil some work , that convinced him he shoulda’ heard before. And the collets CAN wear out.

Curt Harms
03-03-2022, 10:52 AM
They did for a while, but no longer. Brian

Bummer. I was poking around on routerworkshop.com and found the original manufacturer of that router, which is Italian. I didn't bookmark the site, figure if mine has problems beyond the collet I'll replace it with something current production.

Brian Runau
03-03-2022, 5:09 PM
don't purchase the item on the link I pasted from ereplacement parts. Old man was confused, it is for the bosch model and will not fit the Freud. Apologize to anyone who bought this. brian

Brian Runau
03-04-2022, 9:29 AM
From one of the engineers are Musclechuck.

Hello,
Yes, the Type 2 Musclechuck will fit the FREUD 1700 VCE and the FREUD 2000 VCE series routers. We have an extended version of the type 2 Musclechuck if extra clearance is needed in your setup.

Thank You,
Joe DeRosa
DeRosa Engineering, Inc.
8507 Churchill Court
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-868-8359
301-868-7537
www.derosaengineering.com (http://www.derosaengineering.com)

Curt Harms
03-04-2022, 6:40 PM

Hello,
Yes, the Type 2 Musclechuck will fit the FREUD 1700 VCE and the FREUD 2000 VCE series routers. We have an extended version of the type 2 Musclechuck if extra clearance is needed in your setup.

Thank You,
Joe DeRosa
DeRosa Engineering, Inc.
8507 Churchill Court
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-868-8359
301-868-7537

There ya go. It seems like a router collet will fit more than one brand machine. The trick is knowing which ones.

Lee Schierer
03-04-2022, 9:25 PM
You could also search the large auction site for Freud 2000VCE collet. There seem to be a number of options there.

What size collet are you using and what size is the shank of the bit. If you are using a split insert in a 1/2" collet to run a 1/4" bit, they are notorious for slipping

I have the same router and it still works quite well. I would draw a line with a sharpie around the bit in question right against the collet and a line around bot slide tubes against the frame. Then run the router on some scrap and see if the bit is moving or the depth lock lever is slipping. I would have to bet on the depth lock slipping instead of the collet.

Jim McLeod
05-08-2024, 5:45 AM

Hello,

Thank You,
Joe DeRosa
DeRosa Engineering, Inc.
8507 Churchill Court
Upper Marlboro MD 20772
301-868-8359
301-868-7537

I know this is an old post but can't seem to reach anyone at Derosa by email or phone. Will the type 2 fit a Freud FT2000E? Not sure if there is any shaft difference between mine and the 2000 VCE listed on their site

Larry Edgerton
05-08-2024, 6:12 PM
Upcut spirals require a little more umph when installing because the knives are pulling the bit down into the cut. Also may want to check the bearings to see if there is any endplay. This had me perplexed on one doing the same thing.