PDA

View Full Version : Baltic Birch Availability?

Bryan Hall
02-28-2022, 11:46 AM
Anyone think we are going to see baltic birch disappear from the shelves with the current Ukraine/Russia war in progress?

Kurt Wyberanec
02-28-2022, 1:18 PM
I sure hope not, my business depends on this stuff somewhat. Prices on it have gone absolutely insane in the last year though, for no good reason as far as I'm concerned, with the exception of shipping costs going up way. I was paying $39 a sheet for 1/2" a year ago and now I'm at $92. Now there's inflation and increased logistics, but not that much!!!! One of my suppliers told me that a lot of it comes from Ukraine, but I've understood that the majority is actually Latvia and Lithuania I believe....who knows most of the time the sheets aren't stamped for origin so probably the mill should know. Regardless, couldn't be a bad idea to get a bit extra if you can. I'll bet that yards will hedge and start raising the prices even more even if they didn't buy any more. We'll see, let's just hope the conflict ends quickly obviously lumber prices are a minimal thing compared to senseless loss of life.

Brian Tymchak
02-28-2022, 1:24 PM
Interesting thought, but yes I would guess that true Russian BB will be out of stock soon. However, as mentioned, BB also comes from other countries, including Finland.

Jamie Buxton
02-28-2022, 2:02 PM
Yeah, Russian Baltic birch will likely disappear. That will make the price of Finnish and Latvian Baltic birch climb. Is Appleply still in business?

Bryan Hall
02-28-2022, 2:12 PM
Appleply is still in business, but we get unreliable stock at $250 a sheet...

Bryan Hall
02-28-2022, 2:14 PM
Interesting thought, but yes I would guess that true Russian BB will be out of stock soon. However, as mentioned, BB also comes from other countries, including Finland.

Yeah, I've never been able to identify exactly where mine is coming from. It's labeled Russian Birch here, so we'll see what happens with that.

Andrew Seemann
02-28-2022, 2:53 PM
I got some in December from stock my vendor had on hand, no 5x5 1/4", only 4x8 (I didn't realize you could get the real thing in 4x8 but apparently you can). They said they they had it on order, but hadn't been able to get it in for a while. Price was up between double and triple from previous year.

Baltic/Russian Birch was already in short supply before this mess broke out. I'm glad I got what I did, but now wish I had gotten more.

Edwin Santos
03-01-2022, 8:22 PM
As I understand it, they call it Baltic Birch because the trees used in the plywood come from the Baltic countries of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. But the manufacturing process occurs in Finland and Russia, probably more in the latter. In my area, the pandemic has tripled my cost of BB. I can't see the global events going on making it any better. Too bad, it was a great deal for a long time. Another case of appreciating something a lot more after it's gone.
My supplier always stocked the standard thicknesses in 5x5 sheets along with the same with a durable clearcoat finish.

Andrew Seemann
03-02-2022, 12:36 AM
Actually the "Baltic" in Baltic Birch is a leftover of the Cold War. Back then, suppliers (and consumers) didn't want to emphasize that it was made by Commies, even though everyone knew that most of it came from the Soviet Union. We just pretended it was from Finland despite the Cyrillic stamp:)

Russian Birch didn't come into common usage until the last decade or two. This is just my guess, but I think it became popular to say "Russian Birch" to indicate that you meant the "good" or "real" stuff vs some of the east Asian or other knockoffs. Or maybe to emphasize you wanted 5x5s.

John Gornall
03-02-2022, 1:44 AM
At my supplier last week. Full color label on the 1/2" :

"Russian Birch - Made in Viet Nam"

steve swantee
03-02-2022, 6:21 AM
I work in a commercial cabinet shop in Nova Scotia, Canada, we have been unable to buy BB from our suppliers...it is simply not available. We also use "shop grade" birch ply for cabinet bases, that has now become unavailable as well. The Chinese birch ply we tried was horrendous, delaminations, warping, etc. We are currently using another lift of import birch ply, and it seems to be decent stuff, not sure where it was manufactured. Yesterday we received another full lift of birch ply, crated, and heavily strapped with steel...just off the boat. We haven't cracked it open to see what's inside yet, could be garbage, or it could be decent...not sure where this stuff is from, no country of origin on the crate. I think the last time we got baltic it was $200/sheet.

Maurice Mcmurry
03-02-2022, 6:29 AM
Has anyone tried Aspen? It is a fairly new addition to the offerings at Liberty Hardwoods. I will look it over on my next trip. Perhaps it could do for some projects (in a pinch).

There are some previous SMC threads, reading those now...
This is long but interesting https://www.mdpi.com/1455194

al ladd
03-02-2022, 9:51 AM
This is pretty grim. I just tried to get prices from Atlantic Plywood here in New England, and they said they're under new ownership, and as I've been buying from them on a COD basis rather than open account for the last 25 years, they wouldn't acknowledge me as a customer, and so wouldn't even quote me prices. But maybe they don't have any plywood I'd want anyway....

Seems like there's an opportunity and need for a renaissance of an American forest products industry, along the lines of Appleply, but with a reliable national supply, and more reasonable pricing. It's not like this country doesn't have trees. Poplar, aspen --fast growing trees made into high quality plywood is even a form of carbon sequestration. Spain does it with Garnica, an interesting product line (if you can find it), a good substitute for BB for many applications. The stuff with the HDF faces is arguably superior to BB and some woodwokers are seeing it as the best substrate for high end veneer work on the market.

Tom Bender
03-08-2022, 2:23 PM
Yes we certainly have trees, including Birch and a few others that would make good plywood. I'm thinking that supply and demand will result in an American mill putting out a product of equal quality before too long.

Dave Fitzgerald
03-08-2022, 2:30 PM
Unreliable as to availability or product quality?

Dave Roock
03-08-2022, 2:33 PM
Insane pricing - LL Johnson Lumber in Charlotte, MI - natural birch 3/4" plywood Rot.WP B-2 - $85.09 for 10 or more sheets. Other 3/4" hardwood plywood there at far better prices than above. Drayton Plywood in Waterford, MI is excellent source of cabinet grade hardwood plywood, excellent customer service.

Brian Tymchak
03-08-2022, 5:25 PM
Insane pricing - LL Johnson Lumber in Charlotte, MI - natural birch 3/4" plywood Rot.WP B-2 - $85.09 for 10 or more sheets. Other 3/4" hardwood plywood there at far better prices than above. Drayton Plywood in Waterford, MI is excellent source of cabinet grade hardwood plywood, excellent customer service.

I just paid $150 for a 4x8 shseet of 1/2" prefinished maple ply. If you got to have it......

Frank Pratt
03-08-2022, 7:31 PM
I just paid $150 for a 4x8 shseet of 1/2" prefinished maple ply. If you got to have it......

Now I'm not feeling so bad for paying $150/sheet (Canadian money) for 18mm A1 white oak plywood, rift sawn on one side & quarter on the other. Gosh it's gorgeous.

Michael Fink
03-08-2022, 10:05 PM

OMG. Serious question, at what point does it stop making sense to buy plywood and just go to solid lumber?! Yes, I know ply has advantages, but, man, at 150/sheet; just seems we're approaching the point where it might make sense to bandsaw and joint some wood. Or go really crazy and make your own "plywood" out of 1/4in strips cut out of a nice chunk of solid hardwood from a mill on the bandsaw. Got ol' "3 ply". :)

al ladd
03-09-2022, 12:21 PM
Well I've made plywood a few times, usually all-cherry or all-walnut, (even some small all-ebony!), for special applications, generally about 1/8" -3/16" thick 3 ply, pieces around 8" wide x several times that long, and it's a helluva lot of work for a typical well-equipped small shop. Even laminating 3 sheets of typical commercial veneer into a thin plywood for specialty use is a drag of a job.

Appleply fits the bill for many purposes, but it's both higher quality than most BB uses needs, and at over $200/sheet pretty expensive. It also seems to be of unreliable availability, but I've only checked a couple times from east coast supplier. They do have a web-site selling it at $140 or so a half sheet, plus shipping.

But I think if you try to make a couple square feet of your own plywood you'll quickly see it as a bargain! I was just quoted almost $4 a square foot for 5/8" BB from Atlantic Plywood, New England's major wholesaler. At that price it's still a viable and the best option for my use, but I'm lucky material cost is a small % of total cost of product.

It also seems like the hardwood wholesalers are stressed for their supplies and so less interested in selling small (to them) quantities, so at about $4 sq ft the BB plywood isn't rivalled by much of anything in the hardwood world for parts that could be made from solid stock.

Derek Meyer
03-09-2022, 6:52 PM
I work in a home center/building supply center, and our buyer sent this out yesterday.

I just wanted to give you all a brief heads-up about the 5x5 Baltic Birch sheet goods we've stocked for many years now...
We have quite a bit of inventory landing here soon (most of which will be this week). However, once we've sold out of it (which will likely not be right away) chances of getting replacement stock for it are slim to none.

Many countries are refusing to do business with Russia and/or pick up at their ports now. Because the Baltic Birch is an import product from Russia, the material that currently exists in the distribution chain will be the last of its kind indefinitely.

We are currently selling 5 x 5 sheets: 3/4" is $149, 1/2" is $99, and 1/4" is $62. This is in Pullman, WA. Eastern side of the state.

Derek

scott vroom
03-10-2022, 12:32 AM
Anyone think we are going to see baltic birch disappear from the shelves with the current Ukraine/Russia war in progress?

My supplier in Central Oregon has inventory...no shortages yet.

Scott Bernstein
03-10-2022, 9:31 AM
This might be a controversial question and I’m not intending to initiate a moral or political discussion…. I ask only out of practical curiosity about woodworking, which could affect pros and us hobby people. Is there any talk or discussion in professional woodworking circles and/or lumber suppliers about universally avoiding or boycotting import of certain materials that may have originated in certain countries who’s geopolitical aspirations may not be desirable? I presume some individuals or companies may have already done this on their own, but I’m wondering if any of the National organizations or really big companies have been commenting or making plans about this. What about the actual manufacturers? This is also assuming our own government has not or will not enforce limitations on such imports, and I may indeed be ignorant of any rules that have already been put in place in response to…negative market externalities.

SB

Malcolm McLeod
03-10-2022, 10:03 AM
... I’m wondering if any of the National organizations or really big companies have been commenting or making plans about this. ...

My company has (non-woodworking) assets in Russia, with partners from several other countries, of course one of these is the Russian government. We are the 'operator' (our fingers on the switch), so there are environmental and safety issues if we simply walk away. However, we have publicly announced intent to walk as soon as the operations role can be transferred to others. This will cost us $$$ millions. At this point, I'm just speculating that the Russians will have to assume this operator role, as I doubt the non-Russian partners will have attitudes any different than ours.

Saw this AM that Russia has threatened to nationalize assets of any company that imposes any restrictions on in-country business activity. Certainly this may impact plywood manufacturers, importers, and supplies.

Dave Roock
03-10-2022, 10:09 AM
No worries - other hardwood plywood is readily available. "Baltic birch" production will increase in other countries, Russians mobster "president", Russia & all supporters should be shunned at all points.

Jim Becker
03-10-2022, 11:19 AM
Let's not go there, folks... Please.

Jim
Forum Moderator.

Dave Sabo
03-10-2022, 11:48 AM
Now that the price is more attractive , how many of you are going to give the alternative panels like wheatboard or strawboard (rice) a try ?

https://chesapeakeplywood.com/wheatboard-ecoboard/

Scott Brader
03-10-2022, 2:04 PM
Let's not go there, folks... Please.

Jim
Forum Moderator.

Thanks, Jim!

Bryan Hall
03-11-2022, 1:34 AM
Now that the price is more attractive , how many of you are going to give the alternative panels like wheatboard or strawboard (rice) a try ?

https://chesapeakeplywood.com/wheatboard-ecoboard/

I have a hard time imagining myself trying something like this at my clients expense. Worst thing I can imagine is starting to get calls a year after the fact finding out that everything I built with an unproven material is starting to have issues. Not against it personally, but professionally I can't justify it.

Kevin Jenness
03-11-2022, 8:29 AM
One alternative to Baltic birch and Appleply is this Columbia product https://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/product/europly-plus/. Thin, void-free birch inner plies and a decorative face veneer in various species.

Another is Garnica Plumaply, a poplar veneer core product available in several different versions. The core layers are a bit thicker and not entirely free of voids but may be acceptable for exposed edge applications. https://www.atlanticplywood.com/brand/garnica/

Josko Catipovic
03-11-2022, 1:17 PM
If there's money to be made, somebody will find a way to do it.

Mike Tekin
03-11-2022, 6:37 PM
One alternative to Baltic birch and Appleply is this Columbia product https://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/product/europly-plus/. Thin, void-free birch inner plies and a decorative face veneer in various species.

Another is Garnica Plumaply, a poplar veneer core product available in several different versions. The core layers are a bit thicker and not entirely free of voids but may be acceptable for exposed edge applications. https://www.atlanticplywood.com/brand/garnica/

While this isn't my post - this is really helpful. As a hobbyist, I was wondering about these 2 options and my local retailer can get these in for me. Do you happen to know how much more expensive (percent wise) than you have seen vs the traditional Baltic/Russian Birch? Want to verify I am not being gouged. Thank you.

Kevin Jenness
03-11-2022, 6:45 PM
While this isn't my post - this is really helpful. As a hobbyist, I was wondering about these 2 options and my local retailer can get these in for me. Do you happen to know how much more expensive (percent wise) than you have seen vs the traditional Baltic/Russian Birch? Want to verify I am not being gouged. Thank you.

Sorry, it's been a while since I bought any. I think I paid about $150 several years ago for 3/4"x4x8 Europly. Birch faced Plumaply was comparably priced to similar Columbia products but with a better looking core. I'm sure prices have gone up.

Jim Becker
03-11-2022, 7:43 PM
Cabinetmaker neighbor across the street from our old property really loved the Garnica stuff and spoke highly of it.

Bryan Hall
03-11-2022, 11:15 PM

Around here appleply and europly are both close to $250 a sheet now I think. Highly unreliable finding it on the shelves too. I've never seen the Garnica in my area. I can't say enough about how much I prefer appleply over baltic birch. But... at almost an extra $100 a sheet plus no way to reliably get it I end up using BB most of the time which is still great.

Jim Becker
03-12-2022, 10:01 AM
Brian, in my area, Industrial Plywood carries Garnica. I'm guessing that some suppliers may diversify or change their offerings as the market adjusts to current realities.

Leigh Betsch
03-12-2022, 12:34 PM
My local lumber yard was able to snag 2 5x5 sheets of 18mm for me, at $150 each. The supplier said they had 10 sheets total. I dunno where to go next.

Kurt Wyberanec
03-12-2022, 5:46 PM
Picked up some today for my next month's work and tried to buy the following months too, gleefully got it right... Can't afford to go beyond that.

My supplier has about 20 sheets of each size and said they don't really know what's going to happen... so far they thought they may still be able to get some but we'll see... at least the price was the same as last month... which is only 2.5x about a year ago!

Bryan Hall
03-18-2022, 6:09 PM
Just picked up 6 sheets at just shy of $200 a sheet. It has been relabeled "multiply birch" due to protesting threats over its name. 🤮

Leigh Betsch
03-19-2022, 8:06 AM
I talked to a supplier yesterday. He said it’s “off the market” and he has none. I asked about an alternative. He said appleply but it’s crazy expensive. I guess it’s mdf and venier in the vacuum bag for me.

Bryan Hall
03-19-2022, 12:53 PM
Yeah I think Appleply was $270 a sheet when I was there?

Tom Bain
03-19-2022, 3:36 PM

Mike — If you don’t mind me asking who is your local retailer? I’m guessing Fredrick Lumber company based on your location?

Brad Raynor
03-28-2022, 9:12 AM
I have a home-based business that uses primarily Baltic Birch plywood 3mm, 6mm, 12mm that I cut and engrave with laser machines. I generally buy it by the pallet, so I use a fair amount of it. I'm down to my last 2 pallets so I'm getting worried. My question is, does anyone know of any type of wood with the similar properties as Baltic Birch when it comes to cutting with a laser. Most plywood including regular Birch plywood does not work. It scorches and burns badly and, in most cases, does not cut through. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Brad Raynor

ULS 460
ULS 475
Laguna 150w

Andrew Seemann
03-28-2022, 10:22 AM
Not sure where you are located, but Menards carries what they call Baltic Birch in 4x8s. It is a lower grade, BB/CP, rather than the BBB/BB that I normally get (got). I picked up a 1/4" sheet recently, and I really couldn't tell any difference from the regular Russian/Baltic 5x5s I get from my hardwood supplier (Industrial Lumber and Plywood), other than it was half the cost, probably because of the lower grade. It felt, machined, and worked the same, all the way to the smell of the burning glue from leaving it on the sander too long. They have 1/2" and 3/4", but those were special order, and I haven't needed any yet to order specially.

I don't know where it came from; it didn't have a country of origin. Talking to one of the building supply guys, I know they ordered a couple warehouses of building materials end of last year to ensure supply this year, so I don't know if they ordered Russian birch then and still have supply, or they have a non-Russian source.

Brad Raynor
03-28-2022, 12:25 PM
Not sure where you are located, but Menards carries what they call Baltic Birch in 4x8s. It is a lower grade, BB/CP, rather than the BBB/BB that I normally get (got). I picked up a 1/4" sheet recently, and I really couldn't tell any difference from the regular Russian/Baltic 5x5s I get from my hardwood supplier (Industrial Lumber and Plywood), other than it was half the cost, probably because of the lower grade. It felt, machined, and worked the same, all the way to the smell of the burning glue from leaving it on the sander too long. They have 1/2" and 3/4", but those were special order, and I haven't needed any yet to order specially.

I don't know where it came from; it didn't have a country of origin. Talking to one of the building supply guys, I know they ordered a couple warehouses of building materials end of last year to ensure supply this year, so I don't know if they ordered Russian birch then and still have supply, or they have a non-Russian source.

Yes, I have tried plain Baltic Birch, but it is not the same when trying to cut with a laser. Something in the glue makes it very difficult to cut without burning. So far mdf is all I found but it's weaker.

Maurice Mcmurry
03-28-2022, 7:26 PM
There was plenty at Metro Hardwoods last week. 5x5 and 4x8. I forgot to to check the price or take a picture. I bought 7 BF genuine Mahogany, very near quartered and 1 BF Bocote, select, quartered, G.T.=$145.43, two boards yikes!

Metro Hardwoods, Inc. Home Page. (http://metrohardwoodsinc.com/)

Gregg Feldstone
03-28-2022, 9:08 PM
Why can’t birch plywood be made to the same specifications as Baltic birch wherever birch is grown and milled? you would think the Chinese and other Asian countries would want to start producing a better product and make more money selling it. Also does any birch come from the United States and if so why can’t we make The best quality product?

Dave Sabo
03-28-2022, 9:36 PM
Why can’t birch plywood be made to the same specifications as Baltic birch wherever birch is grown and milled? you would think the Chinese and other Asian countries would want to start producing a better product and make more money selling it. Also does any birch come from the United States and if so why can’t we make The best quality product?

in general terms Asian operations are about low price and volume.

Companies in the U.S. could make it, but you wouldn’t want to pay the price so they make something else.

Bill Dufour
03-28-2022, 10:04 PM
China has been clear cutting in russia. these forests are near the arctic and will take over 500 years to regrow. If anyone bothered to replant. russia sold timber rights,cheap, for bribes to the local oligarchs.
Bill D

Jonathan Jung
03-28-2022, 10:55 PM
This might be a dumb question, but what does BB do that other plywood can't? For starters, right off the bat it requires significant more sanding.

Jim Becker
03-29-2022, 9:00 AM
This might be a dumb question, but what does BB do that other plywood can't? For starters, right off the bat it requires significant more sanding.

Good question. The "good stuff" is more consistent, doesn't generally have voids and has very thick face veneers. It tends to be denser, too. Most other plywood has very thin veneer faces, comparably speaking, and has a lot more variability. Some is great and some is, um...not.

Bill Dufour
03-29-2022, 11:03 AM
I think baltic birch is all old growth. There have not been enough centuries for regrowth since the invention of power logging tools like winches, tractors, and chainsaws.
Just like 50 years ago all redwood was old growth and was much better quality then what can be bought today.
Bill D.

Bryan Hall
03-29-2022, 11:47 AM
The stuff I get is dramatically denser/heavier. I personally think it sags less but I don't have actual data to back that up. I still get some voids in mine, but always small, nothing like box store ply. The face veneer looks to be equal thickness to the other veneers in the sheet. I get a fair amount of requests to leave the cut edge exposed, some people like the natural look of that ply. My painter even says don't bother with putting any edge banding on the sides, he can paint it smooth no problem.

As far as sanding goes. Yes, BB is a bit rough (appleply is delivered quite smooth) but I find that with a nice sander (I have the Mirka Deros?) it only takes 1-2 passes with 180 grit and it's buttery smooth.

Brian Holcombe
03-29-2022, 3:22 PM
Baltic birch is true veneer core and so it is more rigid. I had a veneer job yesterday and we used plycore MDF on the recommendation of my friend and it went well. I plan up use that next time, it was better than veneering onto plywood and it is stronger than mdf while remaining lighter.

Rich Aldrich
03-29-2022, 10:03 PM

One of the biggest differences is the inner core is birch as well as the face and back. The inner core is made up of more layers of veneer so if a standard 3/4" sheet has a 5 layer core, Baltic birch has more like 11 layers plus the front and back. It makes it more stable. Many of the US manufacturers will use soft wood core in their standard hardwood plywood, so the only part of the plywood that is hardwood is the face and the back.

Then, of course, there is the quality of the face and back with Baltic birch which is superior to birch grown elsewhere.

Jonathan Jung
03-30-2022, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the replies, I was actually asking about the application of BB plywood vs other cabinet-grade plywood, since I am already familiar with it's layup. In what situations is that denser core and thicker face veneer necessary?

All the hardwood-veneered ply I get works just fine for cabinetry and furniture backs. The stuff I routinely get rarely has voids, holds a screw fine, and with proper building practice, the face veneer thickness isn't an issue.

mike stenson
03-30-2022, 11:13 AM
But your veneer choices are extremely limited.

Jim Becker
03-30-2022, 3:37 PM
Jonathan, for "captive cabinetry", the extra strength of the BB isn't likely to add any benefit and Mike is correct that you'd pretty much be doing your own veneer work with it in most cases. But for constructions that require more precision and more strength...or exposed edges, BB is really nice to use.

Kevin Jenness
03-30-2022, 4:37 PM

The largely void-free birch inner plies look better when exposed and the panels are stiffer than normal veneer core ply. Aside from that, I got nothing. Maybe I don't have access to the good stuff, but I use it only for exposed edge projects and prefer a product like Columbia Europly Plus for better quality face veneers. BB I have used normally shows rolling shear checks and multiple football patches in the faces and often is twisted.

Jeff Roltgen
04-01-2022, 1:05 PM
UPDATE: Just bought a few sheets from my local supplier. Had plenty of genuine, baltic-birch, 5x5 sheets, and expressed no concern about supply issues. Price is up, but not obscene. I paid $20 a sheet for 3mm and $79 for an 18mm. Double what it used to be, but compared to everything else hitting $150 - $200, this isn't terribly bad.
USES: Templating for complex mirror glass pattern with the 3mm
As always, 18mm is kept on hand simply for building shop fixtures and jigs.

I know one of our busiest stone countertop fabricators relies on 3mm for his templating - hot glues 2" strips to form the outline of countertop and wall fitting, and he goes through tons of it. He's not had any issues with supply as of yet. Sure, price is up, but what isn't?
Maybe situation is not as dire as initially presumed...

Dave Roock
04-01-2022, 1:48 PM
In my opinion, the obscene raising of lumber prices is organized crime actions/price fixing. Big stores are complicit, pointing fingers elsewhere. When I am in local HD, I no longer see lines of carts buying lumber - I put a piece of tape on edge on OSB sheet, 10 days later still there. Be patient and boycott, prices will tumble quickly. There is not a huge logistics nightmare, mostly strategic manipulation to steal your $.

Kurt Wyberanec
04-01-2022, 8:51 PM
UPDATE: Just bought a few sheets from my local supplier. Had plenty of genuine, baltic-birch, 5x5 sheets, and expressed no concern about supply issues. Price is up, but not obscene. I paid $20 a sheet for 3mm and $79 for an 18mm. Double what it used to be, but compared to everything else hitting $150 - $200, this isn't terribly bad.
USES: Templating for complex mirror glass pattern with the 3mm
As always, 18mm is kept on hand simply for building shop fixtures and jigs.

I know one of our busiest stone countertop fabricators relies on 3mm for his templating - hot glues 2" strips to form the outline of countertop and wall fitting, and he goes through tons of it. He's not had any issues with supply as of yet. Sure, price is up, but what isn't?
Maybe situation is not as dire as initially presumed...

Jeff, where are you located? Those are amazing prices... I'm paying 92 for 1/2 and 106 for 5/8 and most people are saying that's amazing.... where are you?

Jeff Roltgen
04-02-2022, 11:59 AM
Kurt,
I'm in Western South Dakota. A part of me thinks my distributor keeps such a large inventory that this may be old stock, subject to another adjustment next time they re-stock(?)
However, I really doubt it- every other sheet good they carry went up quite promptly with the national trend, so I know they tightly track the most current numbers on these commodities.
Just interesting that these numbers are so much lower than your local supplier's, especially considering how far we are from the resources and ports. Because of this, it's not unusual to pay a little above national average on many products.

Leigh Betsch
04-02-2022, 2:23 PM
I'm in easter SD (Brookings) but with the price of fuel I doubt I could drive to far west to save much money. Butn it would be good to have a supply.

Bryan Hall
05-06-2022, 4:24 PM
Well, just got informed by my supplier today that whatever BB they have left, is all there will be. All imports on it (for them at least) have been stopped. What's left is selling for $230 a sheet and should be gone in the next few months.

John TenEyck
05-06-2022, 4:48 PM
Same here; my supplier said they would not get many more shipments. Their current price is $105 for a 3/4", 5 x 5 sheet. He said their major customer is looking at Eucalyptus plywood as an alternative.

John

Brian Tymchak
05-06-2022, 9:36 PM
Yep, got the same answer yesterday from my favorite plywood supplier. Was looking for prefinished 1/4" BB. The buyer at Woodwerks said it was going for about $75 a sheet (5x5) a couple weeks ago when it was last available.