PDA

View Full Version : Moving Fillister plane

Richard Hutchings
02-28-2022, 11:29 AM
I want to start building some molding planes, but I don't have one to copy. I'll probably start with some simple ones before attempting the MV but that's not how I usually roll. When I started building musical instruments, I started with the most difficult F5 mandolin, but I had a book and it helped a lot. I don't mind buying books but these seem so simple, all I really need are some dimensions and some nice blocks of beech. I have zero desire to make a laminated, pinned plane.

Where can I get the material and drawings?

Robert LaPlaca
02-28-2022, 1:31 PM
Red Rose Reproductions has European beech plane blanks, not so sure they have one for a moving fillister, but it should be a good place to start. Red Rose also has plans for wooden planes, once again not so sure about a fillister..

Richard Hutchings
02-28-2022, 1:44 PM
I just found their site and no, they don't have plans for it. I hate to build from photos but I guess I'll have to.

Richard Hutchings
02-28-2022, 2:05 PM
Could someone that owns one shoot me a few dimensions? I really just need to know what size block of wood I need to start with. I think I can get the angles and locations close enough from photos.