PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Used Steel City 18" (50250) bandsaw vs new Rikon 14" (10-326 or 10-324TG)

James Dudley
02-28-2022, 9:51 AM
Steel City one is about an hour/75 minutes away and $1,000 used.

New Rikon 14-inchers are $1200/1500 at Woodcraft, haven't looked around for pricing.

Ideally I'd like to stay at $1K or under. But I'm not super familiar with Steel City, though a quick search seems to think that's a decent saw.

14 inches is likely enough for me, frankly. My bandsaw needs aren't huge or super common, but enough that I'd like to find something.

Is the Steel City overkill? I have a 2-car garage as a shop, so decent space but not exactly swimming in open space.

Are the new Rikons better because they're newer with tool-less features?

One review of the Steel City (https://www.finewoodworking.com/2007/01/01/50250-18-in-bandsaw-review) noted that their example had some bad issues w/the table not being flat.

Thoughts?

Bryan Lisowski
02-28-2022, 10:15 AM
Is the Rikon actually in stock? I would prefer to go bigger, you may never use the extra capacity, but there if you need. Also you would have a couple hundred bucks to use on blades or any other maintenance.

James Dudley
02-28-2022, 10:22 AM
That I do not know. I'm not in any particular rush, not needed for an immediate job. Just saw the Steel City listed (C-list) and figured that it's worth considering. Ad says "like new" but...you know how that goes.

James Dudley
02-28-2022, 10:25 AM
Plus obviously steel city is no longer in operation....not sure if that's a big deal or not. But it's part of why I'm asking the question--I assume from time to time parts might be needed and a defunct company isn't gonna have parts around. Or are these things kinda/semi-universal, so a replacement wheel or thrust bearing or whatever will be available if/when needed.

Frank Pratt
02-28-2022, 10:38 AM
I would want to be sure of parts availability. Steel City did a lot of things differently that the typical Taiwanese/Chinese generic machinery. For example, my son's Steel City table saw has the joint between the table & extension tables right at the miter slot. That's a double edged sword. It allows for fine tuning the miter slot, but it's a huge PIA to do so. Anyway, I digress. The point being that they did a lot of things differently. It's a shame the company didn't survive because they made some good stuff.

Matthew Hills
02-28-2022, 10:39 AM
A bigger table is nicer on a bandsaw.
And so are easy blade changes.

From the review on FWW, it didn't sound like the steelcity was a resaw monster.
I'd consider it if the price was good and you're looking for a general-purpose bandsaw.
But the Rikon good too.

As far as buying used bandsaws:
You will want to check it out pretty thoroughly to ensure trunnions and other parts are in good working shape.
Blades, tires and bearings are generally consumables, but should be able to find without too much work.

Matt

Bill Dufour
02-28-2022, 10:46 AM
I will throw in my warning to remove the table so you do not break the trunnions. I have seen many bandsaws for sale with broken tables and/or trunnions.
Bill D

Mike Kees
02-28-2022, 10:52 AM
I used to own that exact Steel City saw. It is an excellent bandsaw. Everything is adjustable ,it has cast iron spoked wheels, a foot brake and a nice large table. Steel City is still out there. They have a website and are currently available in Canada, Quebec specifically. I have no idea if these machines are part supported currently, it would make no difference to me. 97% likely the only "parts" you would ever need would be bearings or a new switch/electrical. Bearings are available at any Auto parts or bearing supply . This saw is the only tool that I have sold that I wish I had not. I also bought a Steel City shaper and used it for ten plus years before I sold it. It was also a very solid machine ,with a much better build than the typical 3h.p. shaper . The fence on that shaper in particular was head and shoulders above anything in it's class.

Mike Kees
02-28-2022, 10:59 AM
Do not put any faith in the FWW review. That was a sham. The guy basically received the saw late for the review and" mailed it in". Was quite a bit of controversy on that "review" back in the day. Search this forum ,was a guy who went by "Sarge" on here who had a big write up about this bandsaw. He owned one and highly recommended it.

James Dudley
02-28-2022, 2:15 PM
Thanks, fellas, for the input. Definitely helpful!

Christopher Charles
02-28-2022, 3:29 PM
I'll just add that table flatness is much less critical on a band saw than maybe any other tool since the cut surfaces is almost never the finished surface.

I'd take a look at the SC

Randy Heinemann
02-28-2022, 4:28 PM
I've owned the Rikon 10-325 14" for more than 5 years and have not found any task that would have made the 18" version worth it. I have never resawed anything taller than 8" (can't usually find hardwood wider than that) and for curved sawing, the extra capacity isn't needed. The only reason to get an 18" would be for the added power and possibly the added momentum heavier wheels give to keep the saw from bogging down. However, with a little patience, my 14" does a great job resawing which is what I use it for most. Resawing is a little slower with the 14" but I don't find it a problem. With any bandsaw, set up is the key for resawing. If I were looking at this used bandsaw, I'd be sure the motor is actually bigger than on the Rikon 14" and that the saw tracks properly, table is flat, guides are not worn, etc. If you have to replace worn parts, the cost difference will be eaten up quickly, if you can get the parts. I just don't see a 1 1/2 HP motor as a resawing issue and I would personally feel better knowing that any use of the bandsaw was mine because I know how I use and take care of tools.

Tom Trees
02-28-2022, 4:32 PM
Bigger wheels would be my preference just as long as were talking cast iron??
Think some of those might have granite bits?

Hate that slot in the table, but sooner 18 inch wheels at the end of the day, and would think the shortcomings if any
would be better should one feel like beefing it up a bit.
Probably don't need more than a single thrust guide if ripping, say the old ones were seized, compared to a smaller machine which would need them.
beam tension from a heftier blade takes care of that if the saw is set up well.

Mike Kees
02-28-2022, 6:30 PM
SC wheels were cast iron, spoked though not solid disks. Two h.p. motor. Double tension springs, yes two.I did not Resaw a lot but did cut up 10 or so pieces of tree trunks between four and eight feet long. I mostly left a 4tpi 3/8'' wide band on this one as I had purchased a 540' coil on" the Bay". I have no experience with the Rikon except for a real good long hands on look at Lee Valley's show room in Calgary. I was quite impressed with this machine ,it has a lot of real nice features. I would say the fence on the Rikon is a better one. For me it would come down to budget and how long you would have to wait for the Rikon. Either saw will be an excellent general purpose machine and capable of a reasonable amount of Resawing. If you were going to resaw all day every day then you would want more machine. Rikon has a great fence, SC has 18'' wheels pick your poison.:D

James Dudley
03-01-2022, 8:51 AM
So I called about the saw, hoping to check it out tomorrow. Good ole boy gave me a 20-minute background on the thing (he was a powertools salesman before he retired). Long story short: he's helping a widow sell her husband's stuff, and the husband rarely used the tools. She's on vacation for a few weeks, and will be back late in March. He said he has a few interested people, and will call them back in the order they inquired, so if no one takes it before me I'll go check it out. I'm in no rush so that's fine.

I feel like the 14-inch saws were like $1K-1150 12-18mos ago, and now they're more like $1500 so this is appealing. But we'll see. I'd be surprised if it's still available when he gets to my name in the list. Appreciate the feedback everyone!

Randy Heinemann
03-02-2022, 10:24 AM
SC wheels were cast iron, spoked though not solid disks. Two h.p. motor. Double tension springs, yes two.I did not Resaw a lot but did cut up 10 or so pieces of tree trunks between four and eight feet long. I mostly left a 4tpi 3/8'' wide band on this one as I had purchased a 540' coil on" the Bay". I have no experience with the Rikon except for a real good long hands on look at Lee Valley's show room in Calgary. I was quite impressed with this machine ,it has a lot of real nice features. I would say the fence on the Rikon is a better one. For me it would come down to budget and how long you would have to wait for the Rikon. Either saw will be an excellent general purpose machine and capable of a reasonable amount of Resawing. If you were going to resaw all day every day then you would want more machine. Rikon has a great fence, SC has 18'' wheels pick your poison.:D

Not sure what Rikon saw you're familiar with, but my fence sucked. I even contacted Rikon and they replaced the fence. The second one sucked too. It was virtually impossible to get the fence lined up properly. It's the one component of the saw that I was completely dissatisfied with. I finally just bought a Carter Magfence and that works great. I can set it anywhere I want fast. There are no problems getting it essentially square and I can use the fence on any cast iron table in addition to the saw. Maybe the model you have is newer than mine and Rikon made improvements.

Mike Kees
03-02-2022, 2:19 PM
Randy if you had ever seen the factory fence on the Steel City you would agree with me. I have no experience with the Rikon 10-326 and stated that in my post. My "experience " consisted of a very long hands on exam of this saw at a Lee valley store in Calgary. The fence on that Rikon was definitely a better one than the factory Steel City.

Dave Sabo
03-03-2022, 8:02 AM
I think Rikon’s new fence just may be the best in the industry.

https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-920

Lots of satisfied customers with this one designed by a wizard of bandsaws.

https://www.kregtool.com/shop/cutting/band-saw-cutting/precision-band-saw-fence/KMS7200.html

Tom Trees
03-03-2022, 9:47 AM
I would beg to differ that the easy to make square rail is possibly a better design.
Maybe something like on this video, shows some wooden blocks for jigs, but illustrates the simplicity, and might inspire further additions like outfeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bUoHHdLex0

Here's why I think a lift off style might be handier, which might be complicated further should one be crosscutting whilst table tilted.

Randy Heinemann
03-03-2022, 1:13 PM
Mike ,

I guess I misread your post

James Dudley
03-29-2022, 2:09 PM
Welp....the Steel City went to someone else that called before me. Long story short: seller was helping wife of a friend (who had passed) sell it, but she was out of town for a few weeks. So he fielded calls, and once she got back he called people in the order they called him. I was relatively early but not early enough.

So...onwards. I now see a local Laguna (Meber-made) LT16, from about 1996. Asking $1K, figured maybe could offer $750. 1.8hp motor. Seller says it has under 30hrs of use she'd guess as it was her dad's and he just didn't use it much. Kinda worries me about a tool sitting idle for 25yrs. Is this a better spend than $1,500 on a new Rikon 10-326 (14-inch saw)? Rikon would have a warranty and newer features, etc. Again--general woodworking here, not loads of resawing (though that is something I'll do some).

Kinda leaning towards feeling like this one is too much for a saw that is too old. But it's evidently Italian made..and part of Laguna's former industrial line? Is it better made than a new Rikon? Weight seems similar at about 290lbs.

James Dudley
03-29-2022, 2:20 PM
For clarity---spending $1K or less is preferable. But not if it's gonna be a bad decision in the long run. I expect either saw can do what I need, frankly. But if the older one will have loads more headaches, that's an issue. And the 5yr warranty on a new Rikon is pretty nice to have.

Mike Kees
03-29-2022, 7:27 PM
James you just keep finding really decent saws. When I was searching for my big saw (Centauro CO 600) Meber's were on my short list. Good Italian made saws. I am no Italian saw expert but have learned enough by seeing a 36'' Meber my one friend used to own and owning the Centauro that I rate any Italian saw as desirable above most anything else. I have not seen this saw in person but it is 16'' wheels compared to 14'' and that price looks decent to me. Why not go check it out ,take cash and go in a vehicle that it could come home with you. If you search here in the forums I am sure this saw has been talked about.

Tom Trees
03-29-2022, 8:27 PM
Bigger wheels and Italian, no question.
Why, likely more features which are hidden, rather than the bells and whistles which maybe a gimmick or not depending on use.
There is likely adjustment of the carriage for the upper wheel left or right, as well as for depth of wheel.
That's a plus for the weary or the frugal
Tool and hassle free euro guides
Likely beefier screw and carriage, just incase you think a 1" blade would be suitable, it's likely not and 3/4" would likely be the sweet spot for the Italian machine regardless of manufacturers claims, is any14" saw even honestly capable of a 3/4"?
Just heftier parts designed as they were and still are in industry, mostly unchanged since the late 80's, and most of the parts are interchangeable with other makers,
Nearly about 20 Italian manufacturers in all making bandsaws since then, incase parts are of concern,
and those Italian castings are likely more trustworthy to boot.

All the best
Tom

Earl McLain
03-30-2022, 6:33 AM
I have a Bulgarian made 14” Laguna from 1994, with ceramic guides. Baby brother to the 16” Meber. It’s a solid saw, but I’d move up to the 16” Meber version in a heartbeat.
earl

Ron Selzer
03-30-2022, 9:07 AM
"Rikon would have a warranty and newer features, etc."

you keep bringing up the warranty on the Rikon
School where I work bought a new Rikon with variable speed, etc. all fancy with less than 4 hrs. use the drive pully fell off with the center hole wobbled out badly. I opened it up and found this October 2021, still waiting on parts. When contacted Rikon for warranty was told no parts available in USA and no idea when they would be available. Still waiting, kids not able to use a BRAND NEW MACHJINE WITH "FANTASTIC WARRANTY"
Rather have an older machine that generic parts will fit.
good luck
Ron

Dave Sabo
03-30-2022, 9:19 AM
Are you trying to tell us that Rikon has some sort of custom machined pulley ?

Curt Harms
03-30-2022, 9:24 AM
So...onwards. I now see a local Laguna (Meber-made) LT16, from about 1996. Asking $1K, figured maybe could offer $750. 1.8hp motor.

I believe there were two Laguna 16" band saws, LT16 and LT16HD. I haven't used either and don't really know the difference. There is one factor and no one has mentioned so far. Thicker band saw blades (.032") may have shorter lives on 14" wheels due to fatigue cracking from bending around 14" wheels. This should be less of an issue with larger diameter wheels. Most carbide tipped bands are thicker.

I have a Rikon 10-325 14" and am happy with it but I never considered a carbide blade until I discovered that Lennox makes a 1/2" Trimaster with .025" thick band, same thickness as common steel tooth blades. I bought one but haven't used it beyond mounting it to try it out. Something else to consider in your search.

James Dudley
03-30-2022, 9:28 AM
Great advice all. Seller agreed to $750 so I'm gonna go check it out. At half the price (essentially) of a new 14-incher, I feel like it's a pretty good deal. And as I've noted I'm not exactly likely to stress the limits of either machine. I am a fan of going with a very solid core/build over bells and whistles.

I was half-tempted by the Rikon at buymbs.com, which has them in stock (ships next day) and has 8% off and free shipping, making the total about $1,453 with tax. Not bad. But the 16LT at $750 feels like the right move.

I'll post again once I take a look and (hopefully) bring the old gal home!

Curt Harms
03-30-2022, 11:47 AM
Great advice all. Seller agreed to $750 so I'm gonna go check it out. At half the price (essentially) of a new 14-incher, I feel like it's a pretty good deal. And as I've noted I'm not exactly likely to stress the limits of either machine. I am a fan of going with a very solid core/build over bells and whistles.

I was half-tempted by the Rikon at buymbs.com, which has them in stock (ships next day) and has 8% off and free shipping, making the total about $1,453 with tax. Not bad. But the 16LT at $750 feels like the right move.

Good deal. I would probably make the same choice. Just bear in mind that if you do come home with it, pictures are required not optional.:)

Ron Selzer
03-30-2022, 11:59 AM
Are you trying to tell us that Rikon has some sort of custom machined pulley ?

Brand new machine under warranty I was not allowed to go any farther once I identified the problem and it was turned over to another person who contacted Rikon to request a replacement part under warranty. Answer was none available in the USA and would have to look into finding a part. This was last October, no replacement pulley yet.
So you tell me how good is their warranty?

Ron

mike stenson
03-30-2022, 12:01 PM
Parts availability is an issue across multiple industries. It's hard to replace what you don't have.

Ron Selzer
03-30-2022, 12:02 PM

Sounds like a smoking deal
Get after it
Ron

James Dudley
03-30-2022, 3:08 PM
Sounds like a smoking deal
Get after it
Ron

Checking it out Saturday, it's on hold for me until then. Looking forward to it!

Again--appreciate all the feedback, very helpful.

Greg Quenneville
03-31-2022, 4:35 AM
James, for your comfort, I have had two Meber saws and think very highly of them. The first I restored (cosmetically) and then traded with a friend for the same saw unrestored + lumber. I fixed that one up too, but sold it when I left woodworking* ten years ago.

* Now I am back, but with a 1976 Agazzani 24” etc etc.

The Italian saws are all very robust. You might need a new belt. Pfft. Maybe guides, but you can go to Carter for those. Or Laguna ceramics. Bearings are all commodity sizes and inexpensive. Urethane tires easily had. Apart from that it's rust removal and paint maybe. Then get a couple of good blades and some kind of work light, maybe a mobility base. No looking back.

A 16” saw is probably the sweet spot for a hobby shop. A 16” italian saw can be your forever saw. I wish I had one to go with my 24”.

Greg

On edit: my experience with bandsaws is limited to a 1970 Delta 14” pos, a big Oliver, the Italians and a big Barker. The Italians? Molto bene.

James Dudley
04-04-2022, 5:25 PM
Update: Got the saw and brought it home. It's really in great shape! Table was fairly easy to remove, which helped loading of course and helped avoid any issues with tweaking the trunions while traveling (90 minute drive home). I got it all cleaned up and did an initial setup, though as I've been watching more videos I've learned more tips so I've got some more work to do (or at least check). Did some initial quick cuts and the thing cuts really nicely. Motor sounds great, very quiet. Had to put a plug on it (it was hardwired into their panel) but that was easy enough.

Really, really appreciate all the feedback here and guidance. I think I ended up with the best option of all--cost less than the Steel City, and while I'm sure that's an excellent saw, at 18 inches it's even larger and likely more than I need. Glad I didn't go new, this one feels about like new even though it's got some years on it. '

I'll get a pic and post it, but thanks everyone!

Ron Selzer
04-05-2022, 11:08 AM
Sounds like you ended up with exactly the saw you need
Good luck with it
ron

James Dudley
04-14-2022, 8:38 AM
Ha! Isn't life funny.

I just got a txt from the guy selling that Steel City bandsaw. The lady that owns it is back from vacation, and he said it's mine if I want it. Given that I had called/texted him several times w/no response, I assumed it was gone. He said there were several people in line in front of me to check it out once she returned and he had access to the saw again.

So either those people passed or something, I don't know. But I feel like I ended up in a better place--great saw at a lower price point that'll handle everything I'll throw at it. And maybe it's pointless and maybe not, but for whatever reason I like that i have an Italian-made saw as opposed to Chinese, though both are quality pieces of equipment.

I dunno just found it funny.

Mike Kees
04-15-2022, 12:09 AM
Steel City was made in Taiwan. You did end up with the better saw though. Where are the pics ?

James Dudley
04-16-2022, 10:50 AM
Here you go!

James Dudley
04-16-2022, 10:51 AM
I don’t think I have permissions to view the pics. Did they upload correctly?

Mike Kees
04-16-2022, 12:00 PM
James ,yes the pics showed up. Real nice looking saw you ended up with there, hope you enjoy it. If you become a contributor you will be able to see pictures. It is only $6 a year to join. Just go to the top of the page and hit "donate".

Jim Becker
04-16-2022, 12:24 PM
I don’t think I have permissions to view the pics. Did they upload correctly?
To have access to photos, private messages and the Classifieds, you will want to become a Contributor...which is a whole six bux per year. Click on the "Donate" button up at the top of the page. :)

James Dudley
04-16-2022, 7:42 PM
I’m in the club!

Advice in this thread alone was worth the $10 donation. Thanks fellas!