PDA

View Full Version : Ply by ply

Sam Shank
01-18-2006, 12:16 PM
When I bought my current house 3 years ago, I installed over 1100 sqft of maple and cherry flooring where carpeting was. Prep was easy.

Now, I'm installing it where tile was. The tile was on mesh, which was on the old vinyl (1985 house), which was on luan. Most of the luan was stapled down. That was easy to get out.

The rest of the luan was glued and nailed. Getting this stuff off was a mess. It came up ply by ply. Splintery. (See photos below.)

I'm now trying to remove the ply that stuck to the adhesive (looks like liquid nail type.) I'm having slow success with a sharp 1" chisel, and a #4 jack plane. It isn't called a jack for nothing.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Chemical (such as lacquer thinner) is not an option.

And, picture white tile cut to a curve butted up to the 4" maple planks. I knew I'd be ripping it out some day, so it was just butted up with no transition. I'll stitch in the new wood with the old and sand it all.

You can see in the photo with the curved maple all the luan that is still glued down and that needs to come off. You can see the pine 3/4" T&G ply in areas if you look closely.

Thanks, Sam

tod evans
01-18-2006, 12:21 PM
fein....02 tod

Lee Schierer
01-18-2006, 12:22 PM
It might make more of a mess, but how about using one of those industrial size floor sanders with some 60 grit paper. The plywood is relatively soft so it should sand off pretty quickly, but I'm sure there will be lots of dust.

Matt Meiser
01-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Could you get away with putting down floor leveler over the remaining mess and creating a smooth transition from one area to another?

Lee DeRaud
01-18-2006, 12:31 PM
I've seen guys doing similar jobs with a tool that looks like the mother of all cold chisels: 6" wide blade, 5' steel handle, weighs a ton. Also used for roof tearoffs, I think. Might want to check some rental outfits.

And no, I have no idea what it's called.:p

Sam Shank
01-18-2006, 2:08 PM
Sanding is out. It just gums up the paper. I own an edger and a drum sander.

Floor leveler is out, as I need the floor to be at the lowest level of ply to blend in to the old stuff.

The 'mother of all chisels' is something I was thinking of, but it's a small area and I'm cheap. By the time I drive to the rental store, plop down 20 bucks, drive home, use it with mixed results, and then drive it back, I could have had it done for 20 bucks less with a plane and 1" chisel.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sam

tod evans
01-18-2006, 2:13 PM
sam, check out the scraper and flush cutting blades fein offers with their kits.......and you get a heck of a good sander for later use out of the deal....02 tod

Frank Chaffee
01-18-2006, 2:27 PM
Sam,
As tod suggests, the Fein would work fine for this job. If you don’t have one try the “mother of all cold chisels” that Lee recommends. They can be had with attachment capabilities to pneumatic hammers, which could make this job a ½ day rental.

Good luck,
Frank

Just saw your most recent post.
Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.
Happened to me once too, if that makes you feel any better.
Frank

Sam Shank
01-19-2006, 10:48 AM
I've decided to just use my #4 plane. Works well, but is very tiring. Good workout. Plus it's quieter, and I can do it while the kids sleep without making anyone upset.

Thanks, Sam