PDA

View Full Version : Redwood Patio Side Table

glenn bradley
02-27-2022, 8:31 AM
I've been percolating on a general design that I can use for multiple fixtures on the back patio. Things like occasional tables, potted plant supports, and "something to hold that thing over there". I landed on a grooved post with slats and a laid on top design something like this.

This first version is a combination end table / sub-woofer hider so it is a bit squat and square. Other fixtures will be taller, longer, narrower or whatever to suit their purpose. The idea is that all will carry a family resemblance to hopefully makes things look a little bit planned.

The design I ended up with uses grooved legs.

The slats at the bottom and at the top are pocket-holed with the in-between slats not. This one also uses glue understanding that end grain doesn't provide that much strength. It is more to keep the sltas from rattling due to the sub-woofer than anything else on this piece.

The box goes together pretty quickly. Some curves on the top's edges help soften the look.

The material is milled to a final thickness of 5/8". This roughly 18" x 18" fixture took one 2" x 12" x 10' redwood board that cost me about $19.

Mark Rainey
02-27-2022, 9:55 AM
Well done, the curve adds to the piece. Redwood must be more available & better priced out west…I don’t see it much out east.

Christopher Charles
02-28-2022, 5:58 PM
Glenn,

That looks great. I presume you resawed the slats to ~1x? Will likely serve as inspiration for some summer projects.

Best,
Chris

glenn bradley
02-28-2022, 9:20 PM
All stock is 5/8" thick. Australian Timber Oil Natural:

Edward Weber
03-02-2022, 11:02 AM
The table looks nice, I just have one question.
Is the base enclosed or did you build a condo for spiders?

glenn bradley
03-03-2022, 10:41 AM
The table looks nice, I just have one question.
Is the base enclosed or did you build a condo for spiders?

Condo for spiders. The sub sets on its own feet and the cover just sets over that. We have a regular bug service and rarely see anything with more than 4 legs around here unless its flying.