PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ceramic Tile

Byron Trantham
01-18-2006, 12:05 PM
I installed some ceramic tile at the base of a walk in shower. The tile are installed over ceramic tile to act as a finish edge. I used mastic to glue them on. Well they came off!:mad: To install them I caulked the top and bottom edge and grouted the vertical seams. Apparently water got behind the outer tiles and softened the mastic. I'm really not sure how except that I must have used the wrong product to attach the tiles. What should I use to attach tile to tile and be water proof?

Todd Burch
01-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Yep, wrong mastic. Try Versabond. Available @ Home Depot.

Byron Trantham
01-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Yep, wrong mastic. Try Versabond. Available @ Home Depot.
Hi stranger. Thanks. This shower has been a source on going aggravation for the last 3-4 years. I thought I finally got it together and then I noticed a small split in the caulk at the top of the tile. I thought, well heck I'll just re-caulk it. I started to apply the caulk and the darned tile fell off the wall!:mad: The whole string of tiles along the bottom came off. The good news is was easy to clean up!:D Well I'm off to see the Wizard, er go to HD.

Loy Hawes
01-18-2006, 4:52 PM
If its not too late make sure you get a modified thinset. Modified means it has acrylic added to it which will help the bond. You can also add acrylic to an un- modified thinset yourself.

Make sure the existing tiles you are bonding too are clean.