PDA

View Full Version : Brief Review: Double Time Flattening Stone

Frederick Skelly
02-26-2022, 7:38 PM
Hi folks.
About a week ago I posted a thread asking about flattening stones for my Shapton Glass sharpening stones. LINK (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?296576-Please-recommend-a-lapping-stone) As always, there was a lot of great input. Thanks again!

I ended up deciding to buy the Double Time Flattening Stone from Sharpening Supplies.com. I caught it on sale for $50. LINK (https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Double-Time-Flattening-Stone-P1545.aspx) This is a 2 sided stone: 120 grit and 320 grit. The stone measures 4" x 10", which proved to work just fine. (I debated buying a larger stone.)

Before I ordered it, I called them and confirmed it was safe for my Shapton 6000 and lower grit Shaptons. Their Tech assured me it was. He also made sure I knew that flattening stones can themselves get out of flat. (That's a big advantage of diamond or CBN plates - they stay flat.) Then he described to me how to use the entire surface of flattening stone in a way that helps keep it flat.

So today I opened the box and tried it out. It was packaged well and securely. The stone was in perfect condition.

Here's the 320 grit side after its first soak.
And there's the 120 grit side.

As you can see, my Shapton 6000 was in desperate need of some cleaning. I got lazy and didnt scrub my it or 500 grit stone after the last use and it really shows. (Yes, this is embarassing. :( ) 474761

But I went to work using the 320 side and after about 10 strokes only the dished area still needs work.

About another 20 strokes and she was clean and flat again.

As you'd expect, the flattening stone worked best when I wiped off excess swarf in between passes. But the the Double Time cut just fine on that 6000 grit stone. I didnt start to get stiction until it was nearly flat (as you'd expect), and the stiction was greatly reduced by the grooved surface of the flattening stone. I was pleased, because reduced stiction was a big reason for buying the grooved stone, rather than a diamond (or CBN) plate.

Next I went to work on my Shapton 500, using the 120 grit side. That took noticeably more time and effort. That stone was dished out more than I realized. And the Double Time needed a good rinsing in the middle of flattening to clear excess swarf before I could finish the job. I think this was my fault though - I'd let the stones get way out of shape. (Long story about why. I'll spare you.)

Last, I did my Shapton 1000 using the 120 grit side. It was easier than the 500 grit stone because it wasn`t dished out.

So after flattening 3 stones, I'd say the Double Time was a good buy for me. We'll see how well the flattening stone itself stays flat, and I'll make a point of cleaning/flattening my Shaptons regularly now that I have it

Anyway, that's all for now.
Fred

Mark Rainey
02-27-2022, 12:36 PM
Good review Fred, thank you!

Tom M King
02-27-2022, 12:55 PM
That looks like a very good deal, and a good size.

Arnold E Schnitzer
02-28-2022, 10:43 AM
I've had one for a couple years, and I'm always pleased with the result.