PDA

View Full Version : Handsaw Reno x2

William Fretwell
02-26-2022, 7:34 PM
Found 2 more saws at the Re-Store. This area has been very industrial for a long time, hence the steady flow of old tools.

The handles were rather stained so after stripping, sanding I stained and varnished them. Another 70 years I hope.

The smaller saw is a 10 point Spear and Jackson 88. Tapered blade, not heavy. Set and sharpened the saw.
The large 8 point saw has so much writing on the blade! Not easy to read but Detroit Edison Co. near the heel. Diston & Sons Est 1840. For Beauty Finish & Quality This Saw Can Not Be Excelled. Signed by Henry Diston. Has a drawing of saw teeth as well.

Set and sharpened, tapered saw, balance is lovely.

$7 for the two.

Jim Koepke
03-01-2022, 7:05 PM
Not easy to read but Detroit Edison Co. near the heel.

That likely was purchased by Detroit Edison and marked like the Bell System and others have their tools done by the maker.

That could be one a collector would like.

jtk

William Fretwell
03-01-2022, 9:28 PM
Thanks Jim, interesting. After restoring the teeth to the right angle it cuts with aggression and leaves a thin line. The balance and weight make it a pleasure to use.
Perhaps a collector could comment. I am interested in how they cut the thin recess in the handle for the blade. The recess shape is very difficult to reproduce.

steven c newman
03-01-2022, 10:04 PM
Disston used a blade like a circular saw's...they had a jig set up, so that the operator made a series of plunge cuts....

Scott Winners
03-02-2022, 12:06 AM
The Disston and Sons saws with five nuts/bolts/screws are my second favorite of any vintage saw, from 1870 to ~1955. They are technically excellent, be careful of rust pits where the teeth meet the plate, and they happen to fit my particular hands very well.

I am not going to dispute with anyone who doesn't like the handfeel, that is a totally subjective thing, but I like them. The ones with five fasteners tend to be 26 inch and up.

I only have one Spear-Jackson saw, not a large enough sample to comment other than I am perfectly willing to buy some more. Good English name in its time. As possibly restorable basket cases those would have been $45 each up here, good find.