PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie Question

Quinn McCarthy
01-18-2006, 10:17 AM
I have been turning for about a year and I really like turning segmented bowls. I designed a bowl based on a design I saw online that I really liked. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=025-1200 I glued up the segmented bowl blank and it came out to about 10"x10". The problem I am having it turning the inside bottom of the bowl. After about 6-7" I can't get my bowl gouge to cut any deeper. I tried adjusting my tool rest a few times and was able to do a little better but it is still not cutting well at the bottom. Once I get the gouge deeper it really gets hard to hold onto and starts jumping around a lot. I can cut at the bottom of the bowl with my heavy scraper but I have a lot of steps between the rings that have to be smoothed out. My only bowl gouge is just a flat ground gouge. What can I do to get to the bottom of thew bowl? Would a side grind bowl gouge be a better choice? The other small problem is the red alder is tearing bad on the outside of the bowl.

Andy Hoyt
01-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Quinn - Consider getting a curved toolrest that you put inside the bowl thereby reducing the amount of unsupported tool.

Jim Becker
01-18-2006, 11:18 AM
In addition to Andy's suggestion of a rest that gives you more support closer to the bottom of the bowl, a side-grind gouge, such as the Ellsworth, by it's nature will be easier to cut with as you sweep through the inner contours of the bowl as the bevel is easier to keep engaged without risking catches. You can also vary the agressiveness of the cut much easier. That said, I wouldn't suggest you "learn to use" a sidegrind gouge with a segmented work as your first project with it!! Practice, practice, practice...and that includes watching a video, such as Bill Grumbine's or David Ellsworth's to learn the techniques if you don't have a local mentor available to show you the ropes.

Bill Stevener
01-18-2006, 11:18 AM
You can try making your turning is steps. Such as working a 3"-4" section, glue-up an other section, work it, and so on. I have turned segmented projects this way, works rather well, with a little planing. Really no need for long shafted tools, or a dedicated tool rest.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Quinn McCarthy
01-18-2006, 2:43 PM
Thanks guys. All of the suggestions were great. I already have Bill's DVD and it is great. This will give me an excuse to get a new bowl gouge.