PDA

View Full Version : Old Dog clean up suggestions wanted

Alan Tolchinsky
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi All,

I have a 19 year old Bichon that I'm beginning to hate. This hurts to even say as we have loved this dog for all those years. Now she has just started destroying our new home. Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming our dog; she's just doing what comes naturally but she's causing me major headaches.

Our old home had a doggie door and I can't put one in the new home. So I'm taking her out 10-15 times/day but she's still doing no. 1 and no. 2 in the house. This morning she woke me up and I found her messing up the whole bathroom with no. 2 all over the floor and her bedding. That was disgusting to say the least. It's been a very trying experience for over two weeks with no let up.

Now the question: What is a good disinfectant to use for cleaning this? I don't want something superficial just for the odor. I want to actually kill the germs from all this mess and do a thorough cleaning job.

I feel like our old friend is putting us through hell right now but I just try to remember all the good times we've had especially with the kids. I just want to clean up the house thoroughly and keep my sanity. Any ideas for products for cleaning and dealing with this are much appreciated. Thanks.

Ed Breen
01-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Alan,
Check with your vet and get the name of a vet. supply house. Theyt have all the chemicals etc. that you'll need to clean up. You have probably consulted the vet already re: the problem. Can it be organic and not psychological?
Its always tough to lose an old and trusted friend.
Ed:(

Jim O'Dell
01-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Alan, we use a product called Odo-ban. Get it by the gallon at Sam's Wholesale Club. If you don't have a card, find a friend that does and get them to get some for you. It also comes with a spray bottle. It is a disinfectant, and helps neutralize the odor. We've had good luck with it. Glenna even puts a capfull in the washer on all the dog blankies when they are washed. Good luck. Our 14 year old Irish we lost last spring would mess on herself and not even know it. It's tough to watch them get old. Jim.

Bill Simmeth
01-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Alan, I sympathize with you. Our 17 yr old Golden is going through much the same, tho only periodically thus far. She has become prone to urinary tract infections, causing loss of bladder control. Our vet prescribed a drug called Pro-In which worked wonders controlling the bladder until the infection dissipated. However, I'm not sure if it can be safely used as a long term solution.

Unfortunately, recently our dog began to lose control over the other end. So, we have purchased, don't laugh, "doggie bloomers" from the online pet supply house Drs Foster & Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11497). It comes with cloth liners which are a pain to deal with, so we've taken to using disposable adult incontinence pants liners instead. This approach contains the mess although we are relegated to frequently washing her hindquarters. At least that's much better than the floors and walls!

Best of luck and I hope the best for you and your pooch,

Joe Pelonio
01-18-2006, 2:12 PM
Your dog (and Bill's) are actually beyond their life expectancies (15 Bichon, 10-12 Golden). When they get that old there can be this kind of problem just from the senility of old age, as well as from medical conditions. When our Bernese was 11 (7-9 expectancy) he was OK with doing his business outside but he'd go in a room, bump the door closed then get scared and tear up the drywall, door frame, and door. I spent a lot of time repairing the house. You can't blame them, they are not trying to be nasty, they are just like an 85 year old human that's in a care facility because they can no longer take care of themselves. We used a huge crate for ours and he actually broke it apart, so since we (especially the kids) loved him so much we just lived with the problems until he finally went at 12.

Oh, and when we were training puppies we always used a product called
Nature's Miracle, we got it at the big chain pet stores. Then we'd use a little Bissel carpet shampooer. When done you can use a blacklight to see if you got it all out.

Alan Tolchinsky
01-18-2006, 2:35 PM
Thanks Joe, Bill, Jim, and Ed. I got it cleaned up using 409 antibacterial spray and then mopped with antibacterial cleaner with lots of hot water. I appreciate the support and ideas. And I do agree with this:

"You can't blame them, they are not trying to be nasty, they are just like an 85 year old human that's in a care facility because they can no longer take care of themselves. "

I'm not blaming her for what she did. But to have to deal with this at 5:30 a.m. was not pleasant and the cleanup involved two rooms that were contaminated. I know she's not doing this to be mean of course but man does this suck.

Thanks again for your support and encouragement. Now it's time to take her out again. :)

Alan

Mike Evertsen
01-18-2006, 2:52 PM
how about confining your dog to one area. my two shihtzus (one 2 the other is 3)are in kennel when we are not home and at night

Alan Tolchinsky
01-18-2006, 6:56 PM
Yes Mike, I am doing that but she hates it. Sometimes she barks for her freedom but I have no choice now. If I let her have the run of the house, the house would be ruined. She's getting so many walks outside, this should help make up for her lack of freedom in the house. Thanks Alan

Jerry Olexa
01-18-2006, 11:36 PM
As difficult as it is, the poor dog is well into old age and can't really control those functions. Sounds like you love the dog. As tough as it is, bear with it and treat the dog with dignity. Goos suggestions above. My wife's cat is going thgrough a similiar deal (17 yrs old).

John Hart
01-19-2006, 6:47 AM
Alan...I rarely buy TV advertised, $19.95 stuff but got desperate over a similar situation. I bought Odor-B-Gone, touted to eliminate urine and smells associated with all that you're experiencing. It is an enzyme solution where it actually "eats" the problem and leaves nothing behind. It's not a deodorizer as a cover-up per se, it just leaves no smell. It worked so well that the dog wasn't triggered when she walked by a previously soiled spot. Anyway, they have a website and it is sold through a number of on-line venues.

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-19-2006, 7:35 AM
My wife got some of that after a cat went 'bad' and decided the bed was his litter box. She's happy with the result, but I'm very sensitive to cat urine... and as far as I'm concerned, it didn't work.

KC

Alan Tolchinsky
01-19-2006, 7:35 AM
Thanks Jerry and John. She does seem to go in the same spots so removing all traces makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion.