PDA

View Full Version : Shop Tour - 1st & last look

Maurice Ungaro
01-18-2006, 9:33 AM
My fellow wood workers, it is with a heavy heart that I must that I must tell you that I have had to leave my wonderful new shop. The good news is that my wife (Carlotta) & I have moved from the Atlanta area and have landed in one of the most beautiful spots on earth - Beaufort, SC.

Anyway, I guess I will be woodworking vicariously through all of you until I can get another shop up and running. That may be some time, as we are renting a small cottage until we sell our place in Fairburn, GA, and get our own place here.

As a good-bye to the shop, I am posting some photos of the interior (you all saw the exterior previously). In true wood butcher fashion, it never got completed - I'll leave that to the next owner.

Mark Rios
01-18-2006, 9:36 AM
As you read this I am standing and saluting you as taps is playing.:(

Maurice Ungaro
01-18-2006, 9:40 AM
Here are three more shots - one from the loft looking down, and one of all my tools loaded onto my buddy's trailer and headed for long term storage at my SIL's place in south Georgia. The last shot is one of the typical sunrise views that we get from our living room, so, life ain't THAT bad.....

Jeff Sudmeier
01-18-2006, 9:41 AM
Maurice, I am sorry to hear that you are without a shop for now. Just think though, you have already built one so you know how to make the next one all that much better!

I am facing the same situation, I won't sell my tools, but I may have to be shop less for a bit :(

Anthony Anderson
01-18-2006, 9:49 AM
Maurice, I feel for you. It is a terrible feeling to leave something that you have poured yourself into. It looks like it would have been a great place to work and hang around in. I am sure that it will hold a special place for a long time, and you will always enjoy those memories. But Beaufort, SC!? Man you are a lucky dog:D!? We have visited Beaufort two times on our trips to Hilton Head (try to make it there every other year). We really enjoy that area, Charleston, Beaufort, Savannah(sp?). I hope you enjoy your new home. Best Wishes, and all the luck in the world! Bill Anderson

Jim Becker
01-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Maurice, I hope the "vacation" from woodworking is short and you are back in the saddle soon.

Bill Simmeth
01-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Boy Maurice, that's really a bittersweet situation! I remember when you posted construction pics of the shop building and thinking how lucky you were. But, as you point out, there's nothing wrong with moving full-time to Beaufort!! I envy you on that score, too. With a little time, I'm sure you'll have a primo shop once again.

Best wishes for the relocation,

John Bailey
01-18-2006, 4:00 PM
Maurice,

Your shop looked great, and I'm sure you learned a lot building it. I know I am. So, when you get settled in the new digs, you'll have lots of good ideas for the new shop. Good luck with your move, I'm sure everything is going to work out for the best.

John

Keith Hooks
01-18-2006, 4:26 PM
I feel your pain! I too am without shop for the near future and it really does suck. But, congratulations on the move and an opportunity to start over fresh.

Mike Vermeil
01-18-2006, 8:22 PM
You dog! I love Beaufort. My family and I vacationed there a couple times while we lived in Cincinnati - stayed on Harbor Island. A little humid, but some of the prettiest country I've seen. Looks like you have a great view of the harbor from your current place.

Good luck.

Joe Mioux
01-18-2006, 8:48 PM
Maurice,
I remember you posting the outside shots earlier. I thought you had a great shop going up. Hopefully, you and LOYL can find a place just as nice, hopefully better, in your new hometown.

Joe

Karl Laustrup
01-18-2006, 9:15 PM
Hope your sabbatical from WW is short. :)

Karl

Peter Pedisich
01-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Maurice,

I have been crying for 20 minutes, if I had to leave that shop I would blockade myself and not come out.:D

But, that view is a winner! I lived in South Carolina (waaay up in Greenville) and every chance I got to see the coast was taken.

Best of luck with the move and hope you are working wood again soon.

Pete

Dan Forman
01-19-2006, 4:38 AM
That lloks like it was a very comfortable shop, hope the next one is even nicer, and that it is not long in coming.

Dan

Maurice Ungaro
01-19-2006, 8:52 AM
Guys, I really appreciate your thoughts and comments. Things were bitter sweet, but everything is for a reason, and as a few of you have noted, Beaufort is a damn fine place to be.

Fortunately, a close friend of mine here has a tidy little shop with most of the tools that make life worthwhile (2 blocks away), and he has made it available to me. It'll be fun to work in a shop with a buddy who can offer another perspective (like "are you sure you want to screw that up AGAIN?"). Additionally, my buddy, Bill, has carte blanche with a local cabinet shop, and is trying to get me the same priviledges, so as to use their floor space and tools in the off hours. We'll see how that plays out.

Pete Harbin
01-19-2006, 9:06 AM
Maurice,

That sounds like a pretty nice "silver lining." I hope you and your wife are able to wrap up all of the real estate matters quickly.

Pete

Frank Pellow
01-19-2006, 9:06 AM
That's one very nice shop building that you had to leave. :( I sure hope that the new owner of you place is a woodworker and does the building justice.

But, I am glad to hear that you will be able to work in a friends's shop until you get a new one built. Working with a buddy can be a lot of fun. :) A friend and I recently spent 6 days working together in my shop on a cabinet for him and I really really enjoyed it.

Hank Knight
01-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Maurice, you're going to love Beaufort, especially if you like living on the water. I spend a lot of time there for both work and pleaseure, and it is one of my favorite places. Lots to do; a nice pace; nice people and good food. Once you get your shop back in operation, you'll have a wonderful situation. I'm up in Columbia, but if I can help you get situated, drop me an e-mail.
Hank

Maurice Ungaro
01-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Hank, thanks! I have a few friends in Cola, and may look you up next time I'm there. Feel free to do the same when you get down this way. I'm really ecstatic to be here, as I've beena Lowcountry boy for ove half my life. My wife is now also hooked!