PDA

View Full Version : For the Club

Roger Chandler
02-23-2022, 5:43 PM
20" steady rest I fabricated for use on our club's 3520b lathes. A hollowing demo on slate for next month.

474555 The arm at 10 o'clock can be re-positioned to any point desired, or the arm at the 2 o'clock position can be removed and the other arm placed at the 12 o'clock position to use as a 3 arm steady.

474558 [Based on a Jeff Nichol design with some modifications]

Mike Goetzke
02-23-2022, 6:49 PM
Nice job Roger - looks like to "old" school PM gold! Have fun at the demo.

I wanted to build the Nichol steady years ago but didn't have a welder. I purchased the Carter steady rest but about 3-4 years later bought a welder to make a lift-lock-'n roll base for my 3520B. Should have purchased the welder sooner. Be careful welding becomes an addiction like turning. I first bought a HF $100 welder, then a Lincoln at HD, and then found a Miller multimatic 215 for a killer deal locally.

Mike

Roger Chandler
02-23-2022, 7:17 PM
Mike, mine is a Miller Multimatic 215 as well. :)

Robert Hayward
02-23-2022, 8:31 PM
Nice job Roger. How much does the assembly weigh?

Mike, you still using the welder?

Roger Chandler
02-28-2022, 7:03 AM

Mike, you still using the welder?. Not sure Robert, but I would guess around 30 lbs. +/- a pound or two. It is all steel construction, and very sturdy with the 12 guage steel in the arms, 3/16” thick steel flange ring and base.

Mike Goetzke
02-28-2022, 9:13 AM

Mike, you still using the welder?

Robert - nice to hear from you! Robert was extremely helpful in teaching me to weld.

Unfortunately I do not get a chance to weld as much as I would like. But have had a few occasions where the welder came in handy. Maybe this spring/summer I'll find some time to mess around.