PDA

View Full Version : 3m respirator and filter

Eric John
02-23-2022, 3:06 PM
afternoon!

i purchased to half masks to see which one might be more comfortable. the 6502 and 7502.
the 7502 is supposed to be more softer and more comfortable, honestly i dont feel much of a difference.
the 6502 for whatever reason seems to seal better against my face so i'll probably be keeping that one.
the question is really filters, wow, is there myriad choices.

I believe the 6100 is whta im looking for to be spraying waterborne paint and finishes.
can anyone chime in to confirm that? or is a different cartridge reccomended.?

I appreciate everyones patience as i gear up for this next job.

Regards
Eric

John TenEyck
02-23-2022, 8:37 PM
You need the 6001 cartridges with 5971 (P95) prefilters.

John

Scott Winners
02-24-2022, 1:04 PM
I don't know the stock numbers on the filter cartridges I have, but I also have 2 masks by 3M that fit me well, one a size large and the other a size medium. I keep organic solvent filter cartridges on one of them and P100 particle filters on the other. I guess my face is 3M size "medium large."

Alan Lightstone
02-25-2022, 9:23 PM
It's really the fit that matters. It is with all the N95 masks too, but that's a whole other topic. And why medical professionals get fit tested for them. Many didn't fit me well.

I think my face is the 3M medium large too, Scott. I eventually bought a second 3M half respirator as well, and keep an organic cartridge on one, and the P100 on the other, so I can quickly switch between them (yes, I know, this saves about a minute at best, but whatever... And great minds think alike, FWIW)

I'm so used to wearing masks at work, I frankly don't think much about comfort with my 3M respirator mask. I guess it just doesn't bother me.

If the 6502 seals better against your face, that's the one you need to keep. I used to go through the math with residents regarding how high your inspiratory flow rate is compared to the flow rate that simple oxygen masks provide. When you do that, you realized that the 100% face mask that gets used on tons of patients provides nowhere near 100% oxygen, because your inspiratory flow rate overwhelms that oxygen flow rate, and you massively breathe around the plastic mask.

The same thing would be true if your 3M respirator mask fits loosely. But if it fits well, you breathe through the cartridges, that can easily handle the high inspiratory flow rate, and your lungs are safe.

Anyway, I know, I know -- TL;TR, but that's the science.

Scott Winners
02-25-2022, 11:50 PM
Like Alan was talking about, a good seal means when you take the thing off after several minutes you have a continuous red ring on your noggin that surrounds your nose and mouth 100% completely all the way around. No gaps in the red ring on your skin.

I used to work with tuberculosis patients, where one screwup one time one day on one patient for one minute could have meant a year of isoniazid and rifampin - and no Guiness for that same year.

Vigilance is your irritating friend here. Also, check with different amounts of razor stubble. When I am getting fitted for a medical mask I always always always go in with at least 16 hours of razor stubble so I can work unscheduled doubles without having to keep a razor in my locker and need a shave break between the shifts. If a mask seals well over 16 hours of stubble it will seal great when your visage is freshly scraped.