PDA

View Full Version : Saw stop Jobsite Pro?

Greg Parrish
02-22-2022, 7:35 PM
Can anyone comment on this saw? Used to have a Powermatic PM66 and a Felder KF500 slider. Don’t have room for large saw now and I’m wondering how this saw compares. Does it have the same type motor as the hybrids? Is it loud? Is dust collection effective? I’m also looking at fusion F2, sawstop contractor and W1837 saws but not sure on the room they will take. Thank you.

Mike Rushane
02-25-2022, 9:38 AM
Can anyone comment on this saw? Used to have a Powermatic PM66 and a Felder KF500 slider. Don’t have room for large saw now and I’m wondering how this saw compares. Does it have the same type motor as the hybrids? Is it loud? Is dust collection effective? I’m also looking at fusion F2, sawstop contractor and W1837 saws but not sure on the room they will take. Thank you.

I've used the job site saw, and own the Contractor (got a great deal a few years ago). I love the the Contractor saw as a hobby woodworker. It cuts through everything, dados everything, that I throw at it without slowing down. But I've never used anything thicker that 6/4 white oak. My guess is that knowing what you're coming from with the Felder, you're not going to enjoy the JobSite. And while the Contractor is amazing for what I do, my guess is it would be bare minimum to what you're used to with the JobSite being unacceptable.

With the upgraded fence on the Contractor (if you go for one of the larger table sizes) I've been happy. But...I want to upgrade my stamped wings to cast iron both left and right. By the time I'm done doing that, I question if I shouldn't have just bought the PCS. And now we're back into full size saw territory. But with the wheel system, it's easy to move around the garage and even if I add the cast iron wings, it won't be too heavy for my next inevitable move.

Dust collection on the Contractor is adequate. I watch YouTube of workers with nicer saws, and I'm always a bit surprised that it doesn't seem like they ever make saw dust. I have a Grizzly 2hp dust collector running to the Contractors 4" port. I still get saw dust below and above the saw. Without using other setups with dust collection, I couldn't tell you what normal is though. I do not use the above saw blade guard, which I'm guessing would significantly reduce the dust.

My suggestion: if it's size you're after, then a JobSite saw is a job site saw. It won't be as accurate or powerful as you're used to, nor will the dust collection be as great, but that's what a small footprint trade off is. If you're looking at the Contractor, weigh it against just buying a PCS - dust collection, noise reduction, and accuracy will all be better in what is likely a very similar size but it would be an excellent choice if money or weight is a concern. But honestly, for a $600 difference, I'd pony up for the PCS (coming from someone who got the Contractor 36" for $1300 a few years ago, I wish I held out).

Jim Becker
02-25-2022, 9:45 AM
Greg, purely an opinion, but if you need to do a "jobsite" type saw because of space constraints between whatever projects you want to tackle, you really want to focus on the fence system. Manny jobsite saws have really bad fence setups. I've not actually seen the SS jobsite saw, so I'm not going to say which way it swings in that respect, but were I you, I'd be looking at and comparing multiple choices for this particular format of machine. Bosch and DeWalt have some better than average units available, for example.

Greg Parrish
02-25-2022, 9:51 AM
Thanks Mike. I looked at both the jobsite saw and the contractor saw in detail yesterday. The jobsite saw is pretty slick, but came to the conclusion that I will likely need at least the contractor sized saw. With prices so inflated though, the PCS is not in the ballpark of what I'm looking for right now. That brings me back to shopping used and/or new contractor/hybrids mainly. So far, I've been looking at the Sawstop Contractor 36", Powermatic PM64b, the Laguna Fusion F2, the Harvey 2hp model, the Shopfox W1837 and the Grizzly G0771Z or G0899 models. Honestly, the shopfox W1837 looks appealing for the price, but I've never seen one in person to know how well built it is. Will continue to research and watch used market also. Thank you.

I've used the job site saw, and own the Contractor (got a great deal a few years ago). I love the the Contractor saw as a hobby woodworker. It cuts through everything, dados everything, that I throw at it without slowing down. But I've never used anything thicker that 6/4 white oak. My guess is that knowing what you're coming from with the Felder, you're not going to enjoy the JobSite. And while the Contractor is amazing for what I do, my guess is it would be bare minimum to what you're used to with the JobSite being unacceptable.

With the upgraded fence on the Contractor (if you go for one of the larger table sizes) I've been happy. But...I want to upgrade my stamped wings to cast iron both left and right. By the time I'm done doing that, I question if I shouldn't have just bought the PCS. And now we're back into full size saw territory. But with the wheel system, it's easy to move around the garage and even if I add the cast iron wings, it won't be too heavy for my next inevitable move.

Dust collection on the Contractor is adequate. I watch YouTube of workers with nicer saws, and I'm always a bit surprised that it doesn't seem like they ever make saw dust. I have a Grizzly 2hp dust collector running to the Contractors 4" port. I still get saw dust below and above the saw. Without using other setups with dust collection, I couldn't tell you what normal is though. I do not use the above saw blade guard, which I'm guessing would significantly reduce the dust.

My suggestion: if it's size you're after, then a JobSite saw is a job site saw. It won't be as accurate or powerful as you're used to, nor will the dust collection be as great, but that's what a small footprint trade off is. If you're looking at the Contractor, weigh it against just buying a PCS - dust collection, noise reduction, and accuracy will all be better in what is likely a very similar size but it would be an excellent choice if money or weight is a concern. But honestly, for a $600 difference, I'd pony up for the PCS (coming from someone who got the Contractor 36" for $1300 a few years ago, I wish I held out).

Greg Parrish
02-25-2022, 9:54 AM
Thanks Jim. Given my prior shop, the jobsite saws will be a major step down. LOL That said, I will only have about 1/4 of the prior space to store tools in while not used, and about 1/3 to 1/2 of the prior space to drag one tool out at a time to use. It's better than nothing, but the family has really enjoyed having the gym and multi-use space after selling my prior shop. I just finished building a king sized bed that monopolized the room for the last 2 weeks and I realized how much the room being unavailable affected everyone. So, for now, I'm trying to ease back into some small projects and make sure the tools used fit into the available storage space. I think a 30" to 36" saw setup would work okay, so the ones I listed in the post above may fit the bill if I can find the least expensive one that satisfies my needs the best for a while. One of the big things I've been searching for in reviews is the saws ability to stay in alignment after moving it around a lot. This will be important for me given my plan to move it with every use.

Greg, purely an opinion, but if you need to do a "jobsite" type saw because of space constraints between whatever projects you want to tackle, you really want to focus on the fence system. Manny jobsite saws have really bad fence setups. I've not actually seen the SS jobsite saw, so I'm not going to say which way it swings in that respect, but were I you, I'd be looking at and comparing multiple choices for this particular format of machine. Bosch and DeWalt have some better than average units available, for example.

Jim Becker
02-25-2022, 10:00 AM
I get it, Greg, for sure...I'm on a PCS right now in my temporary shop and cannot wait to get back to a slider once I have a building to put it in. We get used to certain things for sure!

Hopefully, you'll be able to select a solution that balances your need to conserve space while still providing a reasonable level of quality and capability. Like I mentioned, for a table saw, that fence is truly important, no matter what size it is. Having a little mass is nice, too...my other concern about any kind of jobsite type saw where you will be cutting more than small scraps of wood.

Alan Lightstone
02-26-2022, 8:51 AM
Personally, I was very happy with the SawStop contractors saw for years. I heavily modified it to improve dust collection and built it into a cabinet (which I detailed on another woodworking website). But my approach would make it huge for what you are looking for. But the saw itself was very capable, and the fence I believe the same as the higher end SawStops. If I didn't move, I'd probably still have it, and be happy with it.

Randy Heinemann
02-28-2022, 5:14 PM
Greg, I have owned the Sawstop Jobsite saw since the first year it was sold. I love it. It doesn't take up a lot of space and can easily be folded up and moved out of the way if you need the floor space for another tool you're using. I have found the fence to be extremely accurate after an initial rreset of the cursor. I can set the fence without measuring if I'm ripping to a width that I will joint anyway and it is accurate to the precision of the scale - 1/32". Is it perfect? Probably not, but very very close. The fence is not likely as solid as the contractor or cabinet saws, but it does stay in place for me.

As for power, I believe the Sawstop Contractor and Jobsite saws both have the same HP rating and may even be the same motor. (You'd have to verify this to be sure though.) It's not going to give you the power of a cabinet saw but I've cut 8/4 oak and maple without a problem. A slightly slower feed speed is usually a good idea but, for me, this isn't a problem.

Dust collection with my cyclone is great; again not perfect. It might be better with the sawguard/dust port combo instead of the blade guard that came with mine.

My 3 biggest issues with it are:

1.Space in front of the blade - It is sometimes difficult to do longer rips because of the relatively short distance in front of the blade. I have used a table in my shop to remedy this for a couple really long rips and it was fine. The new Pro model has more table in front of the blade, but I can't tell you whether the distance is enough to help.

2. The miter gauge - It's not really acceptable. However, I upgraded mine to an Incra HD 1000 and it works well. I haven't found many saws with miter gauges which are acceptable except maybe really high end saws.

3. The table insert - Sawstop replaced mine twice because it couldn't be adjusted completely flat. It still wasn't great, so I upgraded mine. However, I believe that the new Pro has a composite insert rather than the molded plastic, just like Sawstop's other saws. There should be no problem with the composite insert.

It has done everything I've asked of it with the accuracy required. I'm kind of a perfectionist so I doubt I'd be satisfied with less than that level of accuracy. Plus, when I don't want it in the center of my shop floor, I either just move it or fold it up and get it out of the way. Plus, it's safe.

I don't know what you use the table saw for but it was a great purchase for me. If you want it for production, of course, it might not be the best choice, but for my personal woodworking use, it was the best solution. The new model has been improved and I'd like to trade up but don't really want to spend the money without knowing what I could get used for my current saw. I have never been sorry I bought it.

Greg Parrish
02-28-2022, 5:40 PM
Greg, I have owned the Sawstop Jobsite saw since the first year it was sold. I love it. It doesn't take up a lot of space and can easily be folded up and moved out of the way if you need the floor space for another tool you're using. I have found the fence to be extremely accurate after an initial rreset of the cursor. I can set the fence without measuring if I'm ripping to a width that I will joint anyway and it is accurate to the precision of the scale - 1/32". Is it perfect? Probably not, but very very close. The fence is not likely as solid as the contractor or cabinet saws, but it does stay in place for me.

I don't know what you use the table saw for but it was a great purchase for me. If you want it for production, of course, it might not be the best choice, but for my personal woodworking use, it was the best solution. The new model has been improved and I'd like to trade up but don't really want to spend the money without knowing what I could get used for my current saw. I have never been sorry I bought it.

Thanks Randy. I'm really torn on what to do. I'm always fighting that urge to over-do and in this case I really need to keep things simple and in a small space. That new little jobsite pro really caught my eye and it seems well designed. I think it has a universal motor where the contractor series steps up to an induction motor, but I can't swear to that. Both are belt driven and may have similar power but I'm guessing the contractor saw would be quieter.

In my case, I'm wanting it now for smaller jobs. Thinking of all sorts of small projects with the first one being a need for dado's to make some drawers. I realize it would not be easy to handle large panels, super long boards or other outliers on the jobsite saw, but for small items it looks like a nice solution. Also, not having cast iron might actually prove a positive if I ever take it up to our property where our sawmill will be located. Portable and not as much concern about rust while sitting in my unconditioned shed.

Anyway, I'm still toying with the idea of saving up for the contractor saw with T-Glide and mobile base kit, but the jobsite pro might very well cover my current usage provided the build quality is good, and it seems like it is.

Thanks again.

Stan Calow
02-28-2022, 6:10 PM
I had the same choice to make, and decided the contractor was worth the surprisingly small difference in price from the JSS. At least at the time. I too think the JSS has a universal motor and did not want that. But definitely dont get the base fence it has a rounded top which doesnt let you attach things like the auxiliary fences or JessEm guides to it.

Greg Parrish
02-28-2022, 7:15 PM
I've honestly been wondering if I should just get one of the cheaper jobsite saws like the Dewalt 10" model and use that for some of my small projects now. That would take the pressure off of trying to decide what to do while I test the waters of working with small space in a shared garage. I'm going to be working one tool at a time and pulling things into place for each tool used, so it would give me a way to get a few more small projects done while I figure it out. And, if a year from now I decide the sawstop contractor, or even the PCS, is the right answer, the small jobsite saw could go to my shed on our property with the sawmill since it wouldn't have any cast iron on it. Seems like Jim mentioned the Dewalt was decent somewhere above, although I don't know if it will fit a dado stack.

Jim Becker
02-28-2022, 7:36 PM
The foldable stands on some of the better jobsite saws would be very attractive for your particular situation. And as I mentioned, some of them actually have a usable fence.

Greg Parrish
03-01-2022, 8:59 AM
Okay, here is another one based on the idea of ordering through Home Depot. How would you compare these two:

Jet ProShop II with Cast Wings

Sawstop Contractor 30" model

HD doesn't seem to carry the 36" T-Glide model but I came across a 10% off coupon if I ordered via HD. Figured it was worth asking as the ProShop II model looks comparable, but I've never seen one in person.

Robert Engel
03-01-2022, 9:43 AM
I've seen quite a few people using the DeWalt saw.

I think the rack and pinion fence may have issues. I think any fence that clamps front and rear is a bad design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPlsDQ1RLMM&t=125s

Scott Clausen
03-01-2022, 10:25 AM
I bought the Saw Stop Jobsite within the last year. They added the blade guard dust collection and made the table a little bigger on this version if I am not mistaken. I like it a lot better than my old Kobalt POS. Fence works well and I don't think I can do any better in the portable saw category. My shop is so small I need to go outside for long rips.

Greg Parrish
03-01-2022, 4:43 PM
Just remembered I have a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 3-18x50 scope sitting unused and basically like new in the box that I may be able to sell to raise some funds towards a nicer saw. Just looked it up and the retail was $2,499.99 not counting the rings that I have for it also. If I had a chunk of that cash now there are a few sawstop PCS setups on the used market I could pounce on. LOL Now where best to list and try to sell a scope? Not sure if FB allows it.

Greg Parrish
03-02-2022, 9:54 AM
Arrrrrg......................

Every time I think I've found the perfect solution, there appears to be an issue or compromise that I don't want to have.

Nice looking Grizzly 1023 comes up for sale for good price about 145 miles away but turns out to be the 1023SL model, so no riving knife. Don't want to go without the riving knife again as my prior PM66 didn't have it and while a shark guard offered a work around, I'm not seeing an easy fix on the 1023SL. It's pending now anyway, but this is why I'm not driving to get it today.

Grizzly 1023RL with rusty cast iron within 3 hour drive, but want's $1,800 and to me that seems high. The rust would probably clean off though, so not sure if that's a good deal or not. Says includes all the original fence, blade guard, riving knife, etc. Also has a rolling cart.

The Jet ProShop II with 30" fence and cast wings looks nice, but apparently has an odd square throat plate, aluminum trunion and doesn't offer a thin kerf riving knife option. Seems it would be a good thing to have for a 1.75hp saw so you could use thin kerf blades. Would be portable though.

The Shop Fox W1837 seems like a nice compromise given the fact I could get one at around $1,350. It looks to have cabinet mounted cast trunion and wheels already included. But, no above blade dust collection and no cast wings available. Not sure if things like dado throat plate and thin kerf riving knife are available.

Harvey option looks really nice, but with shipping it is nearly $2,500 now. At that price, the door is open to the Laguna F3, Grizzly G1023 and some others. Was trying to stay lower if possible.

The Laguna F2 is aluminum trunion and aluminum fence rails. From reviews, it seems like there is some deflection in the fence possible and also the reviews I watched showed a lot of movement from just leaning on or touching the saw. Didn't look very stable.

Sawstop Contractor - Was leaning towards biting the bullet and going this route, but the dust collection seems to be at issue. Once you buy the over blade stuff and wheels, the price on this is near the PCS with 1.75hp motor, and from what I can tell in reviews, a ton of saw dust is dumped out the bottom and into the mechanics of the saw even though it has dust chute. Given my mixed use space (gym, family hangout, etc), I really need better dust collection.

Where does that leave me? I'm just not finding the option that ticks all my boxes in the sub-2k market and really didn't want to spend more if I could help it. Working it through out loud, I know, but also thinking someone may have feedback on my findings so far that help pick a direction.

Jim Becker
03-02-2022, 10:57 AM
If you decide to seriously consider the Harvey...call them. Folks have reported getting better pricing that way than online.

Robert Engel
03-02-2022, 11:44 AM
By my reckoning, a contractor vs. 1.75PCS is almost $1000. (I'm specifying 36" T glide, dust guard & mobile base for both).

IMO for occasional use in a space limited situation, I think the SawStop contractor with dust guard and mobile base is a good option. If you can order it through a local Woodcraft you can save shipping cost.

I'm not sure there is a dust collection issue it appears the contractor saw is prefitted. A call to SS can answer that question. It certainly would be easier to move than a PCS. The dust guard collection is excellent.

With your past experiences with high end table saws, you will definitely never be happy with a jobsite, as well as some of the others.

I know this isn't the sub 2K market, but for $500 more you can get a [new] SS contractor/36" T glide/mobile base/dust guard. Yes, you will need a dado cartridge and a spare regular cartridge but you have to weight out the price of a good safety system.

I had a "close call" on my old Jet I that was it for me, the very next day I picked up a 3HP PCS at my local Woodcraft. With in a week I sold both my Jet 1.75 and 3HP saws. That made me realize at 66 yrs old my mental acuity is not going to improve and I was living on borrowed time. After I bought the SS my wife admitted to me she won't worry about me as much anymore. I never knew that, so I bought it for her, too!

Greg Parrish
03-02-2022, 12:44 PM
I like the idea of a SawStop but I'm not seeing it price wise on the SS contractor. To get a basic contractor setup, here is what I'm seeing price wise. I do realize that some of these items would also be required for a PCS setup.

Contractor Saw with 36" T-Glide $2,089
Mobile base $219
Single Cast iron wing $149
Dust collection blade guard $149
Over-arm dust tubing $275
Dado lock down insert $55
8" dado cartridge $109
10" standard cartridge $89

That's $3,134 before tax assuming I had someone like Woodcraft order it to avoid shipping. Maybe you could drop the dust tubing system and the cast iron wing, but would still be $2.7k. Maybe I'm missing something, but at that $2.7k price you could nearly buy a PCS 1.75 36" T-Glide and use a cheap mobile base or at the $3.1k price you could nearly buy a 3hp PCS which comes with the blade guard dust pickup and full cast iron wings included. Only real benefit I see to the contractor at that point is that you could left mount a router table wing due to motor in the back. Any of the 3 options are getting way out of where I wanted to be though. LOL