PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good Stanley Jack

Richard Hutchings
02-22-2022, 4:44 PM
I really don't know what to look for. Some of you have herds of them so I know you can tell me which is the better purchase for a user #5 or 5 1/2. Under $150. I've been looking on ebay and the prices are all over the place. Are the handyman planes any good? Defiance? I know Bedrocks are cream of the crop but the price approaches LN and LV, which I may go with if I don't find a good Stanley. The LA ones are affordable but I don't really want one having owned one in the past.

steven c newman
02-22-2022, 5:50 PM
I have 4 TYPE 19 Stanley No. 5.....take your pick. Postage for a flat rate box to you. No other charges needed. will be set and sharp, ready to go out of the box...how much camber? or No camber, do you want.

Richard Hutchings
02-22-2022, 6:07 PM
No camber.

steven c newman
02-22-2022, 6:10 PM
No problem.

Russell Nugent
02-23-2022, 12:25 AM
The auction site has become a terrible place to buy planes. Everyone who has a vintage plane thinks it's worth 100 bucks or more no matter the condition. It's even worse up here in canada with shipping prices hitting 50 to 60 bucks sometimes from the states.

Jim Koepke
02-23-2022, 12:56 AM
The auction site has become a terrible place to buy planes. Everyone who has a vintage plane thinks it's worth 100 bucks or more no matter the condition. It's even worse up here in canada with shipping prices hitting 50 to 60 bucks sometimes from the states.

It is brutal everywhere. It seems some of the antique shops are putting new tags on everything since the announcements of "the greatest inflation since the 1980s."

Estate sales are okay sometimes. Though often those are run by folks who keep a close eye on ebay and price accordingly thinking you may as well pay them what you would pay in shipping.

My most recent #4 was purchased for the purpose of getting a usable base for a decent frog in my spare parts. The world seems to be going crazy.

jtk

Rob Luter
02-23-2022, 5:48 AM
I agree. I've been looking for a #5 for months. We went on an antique tour late last year and I was shocked at the prices asked for the junk I saw.

David Publicover
02-23-2022, 6:55 AM
I have 4 TYPE 19 Stanley No. 5.....take your pick. Postage for a flat rate box to you. No other charges needed. will be set and sharp, ready to go out of the box...how much camber? or No camber, do you want.

That’s a very nice offer! Kudos to you.

Richard Hutchings
02-23-2022, 8:25 AM
Am I reading this right? Holy moly that is amazing. I'll pm my address.

Scott Brodersen
02-23-2022, 8:30 AM
I agree. I've been looking for a #5 for months. We went on an antique tour late last year and I was shocked at the prices asked for the junk I saw.
Sometimes I get the urge to educate them about the thing they're selling and obviously have no idea about what would make it good quality. I never do, but my wife hears about it later lol

steven c newman
02-23-2022, 9:00 AM
Ok..Op wanted to find out the differences between a No. 5 and a No. 5-1/2...so..
One is a hair wider than the other one, and
An inch or so longer....

I think, with a roll of bubble wrap, and a little bit of wood..
They will both fit into this box....

steven c newman
02-23-2022, 9:17 AM
The jack I am sending out..was one of 4..
All type 19s....

I have an older Type 11 that I am keeping for myself...

Richard Hutchings
02-23-2022, 9:44 AM
I'm going to the usps store immediately.

steven c newman
02-24-2022, 11:57 AM
Planes have been packed up..ready to be addressed....box has plenty of Bubble wrap around the planes...and..wooden sides on the inside of the box...trying to get the planes there in one piece...

Will send out as soon as I can...depending on the mail to get here...

Richard Hutchings
02-24-2022, 12:10 PM
The mail just got sent out so, it will be a few days I think.

Bob Jones 5443
02-27-2022, 12:32 AM
I think I might cry. If I read that right, it was uncommonly nice of you, Stephen.

Bob Jones 5443
02-27-2022, 12:34 AM
Anyone else looking for a jack, I like the heft of my 5-1/2. Patrick Leach always seems to have one or two on his monthly list. Prices are reasonable in light of all the comments in this thread about how crazy things are today.

steven c newman
02-27-2022, 12:43 AM
I have 3 more Stanley No. 5, type 19s....that are "extras". All I ask is Postage.

Called paying it foreward. And....don't get me started on the 4 Millers Falls No. 14s in the shop...

As for #5-1/2 planes...I have a Stanley and a Millers Falls.....will keep them around a while..

Jim Koepke
02-27-2022, 1:14 AM
My #6 tends to be used more than my #5-1/2. The only real advantage on my #5-1/2 is a spare blade that is cambered for use as a scrub plane.

My #5-1/2 uses a 2-1/4" blade instead of a 2-3/8" blade.

jtk

Andrew Pitonyak
02-27-2022, 8:51 AM
Never used a 5 1/2

Next time I come over, I may give one a try so I can say that I have tried one. :D

steven c newman
02-27-2022, 11:09 AM
Any time, come on over.

steven c newman
02-28-2022, 2:53 PM
Heading for the Post Office to mail out a box...heading for Rhode Island.....will return with the Tracking number, later...

Richard Hutchings
02-28-2022, 3:10 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!

Assaf Oppenheimer
02-28-2022, 4:39 PM
tell me about it. I just bought a fantastic plane (I am planning to post about that). Stanley No. 5 Type 11, expertly restored to my specifications. Shipping and tax came out to more than what I paid for the plane!

steven c newman
03-02-2022, 1:43 PM
Marked as "Out for Delivery" today.....better go and sit by your mail box...

Richard Hutchings
03-02-2022, 1:59 PM
I'd love to but I'm at work until 5

Richard Hutchings
03-02-2022, 6:38 PM
I received the planes and they are excellent. I can't thank you enough. Can't wait to mess with them in the morning.

Ben Ellenberger
03-02-2022, 10:04 PM
This whole thread made me happy.

That is all.

Scott Winners
03-03-2022, 12:44 AM
Yup, that is "paying it forward" for sure.

Richard Hutchings
03-03-2022, 10:13 AM
This is definitely the most generous thing anyone has ever done for me. I can only guess why he chose me to give these to. Maybe because he's always reading my posts about making my own tools, it isn't just because I like making them. If I had money, I would absolutely buy all the things I want. I am not a professional anything so my finances are limited. I'm almost afraid to post another tool build as someone might also want to send one to me. This is enough goodwill for me and I will be forever grateful.

So, I tried them out this morning and yes, they came pre-sharpend, no rust and cut like butter on curly maple. What more can I say.

Ah, got it. Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve Steve!!!!!

steven c newman
03-03-2022, 10:27 AM
You are welcome...

michael langman
03-03-2022, 5:21 PM
:):):):):):):):):):).

Bob Jones 5443
03-03-2022, 9:48 PM
This reminds me of the time Rick Blaine let the Romanian husband win at roulette.

Richard Hutchings
03-04-2022, 1:13 PM
This reminds me of the time Rick Blaine let the Romanian husband win at roulette.
No idea what that means

Dave Zellers
03-04-2022, 1:19 PM
Casablanca. Never knew Rick's last name before. :)

Richard Hutchings
03-04-2022, 1:28 PM
After receiving these planes, I got a bonus at work. I have never gotten a bonus because I'm on the lower tier that usually doesn't get one. Well they changed that and I am finally included. This is two great surprises for me in one month. Because I no longer need a BD Jack, thank you again Steve, I bought a BU to replace the one I regret selling. Knowing what I know now, this will be my shooting plane instead of the #7 tank.

When I originally bought a BU many years ago, I thought it was going to help with smoothing curly maple, which use a lot. I obviously bought it for the wrong reason, had I bought the extra blades I may have felt different. Someday, I'll buy some extra blades with the higher angles for doing that.

I'll make a hotdog for it using Derek's instructions.

None of this is going to help me build a deck on the back of my house for my wife this spring. I wish there was a place for handplanes in building decks. Maybe some deck furniture.

Richard Hutchings
03-04-2022, 1:31 PM
Casablanca. Never knew Rick's last name before. :)

You guys are a little older then me I think. Nothing about Casablanca is in my memory although I'm sure I watched it on a black and white TV with the family.

Jim Koepke
03-04-2022, 4:02 PM
You guys are a little older then me I think. Nothing about Casablanca is in my memory although I'm sure I watched it on a black and white TV with the family.

Casablanca is considered one of the great movies of the twentieth century.

A couple of the memorable lines include; "here's looking at you kid," and "round up the usual suspects" are not heard as often to day as the were years ago.

The DVD is in my library and is occasionally watched. A great line up of actors; Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet and Claude Rains worked together magnificently.

"I'm shocked, shocked to find there is gambling here."

"Here are your winnings sir."

"Thank you."

jtk

Dave Zellers
03-04-2022, 5:14 PM
Now I'm going to have to watch it again which will make my wife happy.

If I don't, I'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow , but soon and for the rest of my life!

Jim Koepke
03-04-2022, 11:09 PM
Hmmm, maybe tonight would be a good night for me to watch it again.

My recollection is the Nazi officer is the one to call Rick by his full name when reviewing his history.

jtk

Nathan Johnson
03-05-2022, 9:35 AM
I'm only 40, but Casablanca is my favorite movie. I try to watch at least once a year.
It's one of the only movies I can stand to watch more than once.

Jim Koepke
03-05-2022, 3:21 PM
I'm only 40, but Casablanca is my favorite movie. I try to watch at least once a year.
It's one of the only movies I can stand to watch more than once.

Next time you watch, pay close attention to the plane in the airport scene. It is a studio prop and all the attendants around it are very short to give the proper perspective.

Hope that doesn't spoil anything for anybody.

jtk