PDA

View Full Version : ready to scrap my G0586

Brian Runau
02-22-2022, 11:21 AM
Still having trouble keep the fence square to the table at 90. I set it at 90 and when I tighten the tilt lock it moves towards the table to less than 90. This morning I got it set and the first 90 side I ran the fence move despite it being locked in place. Spoke to Grizzly, nice guy, and he suggested the lock mechanism might be the problem area. Removed this cleaned and checked all the parts, nothing obvious to me. The machine housing has some of the paint chipped under the washer and bushing that the tilt lock rod goes through?

Anyway, looking for suggestions on new joint brand that would give me the least amount of problem in terms of setting and keeping the fence at 90? Appreciate your suggestions.

Brian

Dwayne Watt
02-22-2022, 12:55 PM
My 6" jointer has the same mechanism. The 90 degree stop and locking mechanism has never been an issue. I do hold the fence tight against the stop when tightening but in reality seldom change from 90 degrees.
In this case, it may be the paint on the green casting that is causing you issue by not allowing the locking screw to stay tight. I would clean a bit more of the paint away on the casting to make certain the lock is clamping solid. I would also verify that the hinge linkage on the base of the fence is secure.

Brian Runau
02-22-2022, 1:08 PM
My 6" jointer has the same mechanism. The 90 degree stop and locking mechanism has never been an issue. I do hold the fence tight against the stop when tightening but in reality seldom change from 90 degrees.
In this case, it may be the paint on the green casting that is causing you issue by not allowing the locking screw to stay tight. I would clean a bit more of the paint away on the casting to make certain the lock is clamping solid. I would also verify that the hinge linkage on the base of the fence is secure.

Add paint to low areas or remove all the paint? thanks brian

Robert Hayward
02-22-2022, 1:15 PM
How much does it move off 90? Something must have a loose enough fit to allow the fence to move. Can you visually see anything move if you put pressure on the fence? If not have you tried using a dial indicator to find movement?

Mike Kees
02-22-2022, 1:17 PM
Brian I think he is suggesting remove all paint. I remember someone on a thread that replaced the (washer ?) under the tightening bolt/handle with a special type from McMaster -carr on one of these threads. Is the stop set up to return to 90 degrees ?

Brian Runau
02-22-2022, 2:45 PM
Brian I think he is suggesting remove all paint. I remember someone on a thread that replaced the (washer ?) under the tightening bolt/handle with a special type from McMaster -carr on one of these threads. Is the stop set up to return to 90 degrees ?

Yes, but it doesn't matter if it moves when I tighten down the tilt mechanism. For me the stop is just a rough estimate not something I would depend on every time. I looked at this, see pic. I moved the fence into across the table @ 2-3 inches and ran some material and no problems and the fence stayed put. I normally keep the fence just inside the edge of the blade so I can use all 8" of the jointer. I just move my face jointing at different places across the blades to get more even wear on the blades. This shows wear where the fence rests on the table. Could this wear be what is causing all the problems? Thanks brian

glenn bradley
02-22-2022, 4:41 PM
I have trust issues ;-) I back all my stops off a bit so that I can go past 90*, past 45*, etc. and set them myself. Now that we know the type of twisted beast I am I will say that there appears to be more involved in that fence tilt mechanism than one should require. I put a strip of UHMX along the "foot" of my jointer fence.

This lets me use it as a pivot point without cringing. The G0490X has a simple lever lock so once in position you just lock it down. I'm having a hard time picturing your fence mechanism although I have used a G0586 in the past . . . ah, Father Time you are an unwelcome visitor ;-)

Brian Runau
02-22-2022, 5:09 PM
I have trust issues ;-) I back all my stops off a bit so that I can go past 90*, past 45*, etc. and set them myself. Now that we know the type of twisted beast I am I will say that there appears to be more involved in that fence tilt mechanism than one should require. I put a strip of UHMX along the "foot" of my jointer fence.

This lets me use it as a pivot point without cringing. The G0490X has a simple lever lock so once in position you just lock it down. I'm having a hard time picturing your fence mechanism although I have used a G0586 in the past . . . ah, Father Time you are an unwelcome visitor ;-)

Myles Moran
02-22-2022, 6:14 PM
Brian, I've got a similar issue with my g0656x. Frankly, I don't use the fence much as a 90° reference, so I check and adjust it every time I need it at 90°. Otherwise it's usual job for me is to keep the edge of the board near the edge of the cutter head.

When edge jointing boards for a glue up, I alternate board sides so they'll glue flat even if they're not exactly 90°. (So if you're looking at the glue up, the left side of all the boards will feed through the jointer and the right side of all the boards will be the trailing edge.)

When edge jointing rough lumber, I've found the tablesaw provides a better finish than the insert cutter (cleans up faster with sanding) so as long as I'm close to 90° that's fine because the tablesaw will rip it perfectly when I make that final pass.

The only time it really matters is when I'm using it to taper legs, because if it's off I end up with an unsquare leg. When I do this, I always break out a good square to set and check the fence. I first loosen and move the fence to make sure it's all free of dust and i can set it against the stop without anything in the way. I hold pressure on the fence's adjustment knob with one hand, the locking arm with the other, and I'm watching the square as i tighten it down. I'll usually do this in 2 rounds so I can check it's square before it's fully tightened. Finally I run a piece of scrap to test it before running project stock

That said, I'll admit it's not a perfect system and it won't hold 90° forever like the rest of the machine has held itself in alignment. If I used the fence as a reference for 90° often I would be mad about having to adjust it all the time. That said for me it doesn't matter, so I'm happy with it for what it is.

Mel Fulks
02-22-2022, 6:44 PM
I’ve never seen a fence that would stay square. I lay out the boards like they will be glued then put a V mark across them so I don’t get them
mixed up . Then I joint one board mark “out “ ,next board “in” . To fence.

Bob Coates
02-22-2022, 8:53 PM
Long shot -- Is it possible that the table ( part no 37) bolts are not tight and allow some movement. I have one of the 8 " (don't remember number) and haven't had that issue.

Brian Runau
02-22-2022, 8:55 PM
Long shot -- Is it possible that the table ( part no 37) bolts are not tight and allow some movement. I have one of the 8 " (don't remember number) and haven't had that issue.

Thanks I will investigate. Brian

Jay Zumwalt
11-07-2022, 9:01 PM
Hi Brian,
Not sure if your still around. I just found you article today as I was having the same problem with my jointer as well (same make and model). In short I'll describe what cured my problem and if your having difficulty understanding my description I'll leave my email and feel free to contact me there. Believe me I just resolved the problem today and I've been dealing with this issue for a couple of years.

I'll be referencing the fence diagram in the owners manual that shows the fence assembly and parts list. If you don't have one you can google the jointer model number and you will be able to find a pdf copy.

So, the issue I noticed is the linkage between the fence and the fence carriage (item #115) was always loose. Even after I tightened down the tilt lock handle (Items #120 & #121). Once the tilt lock is tightened there should be zero play in that linkage and the fence should be rock solid.

Here's what I found. There are four set screws (item #125). All four thread through the "Bracket (item#124)", which two of the set screws seat into blocks (item#128) on the back of the fence, and the other two set screws seat into the fence carriage (item#115). Of the four set screws, two where loose. And not just a little loose. This was the root cause on why the fence had so much play after tightening the tilt lock lever and would never stay square. So I made sure that all four set screws are nice and snug tight. No more play and the fence stays nice and square to any angle.

Hope this helps.

Dave Sabo
11-08-2022, 1:04 PM
Hi Brian,
Not sure if your still around. I just found you article today as I was having the same problem with my jointer as well (same make and model). In short I'll describe what cured my problem and if your having difficulty understanding my description

I'll be referencing the fence diagram in the owners manual that shows the fence assembly and parts list. If you don't have one you can google the jointer model number and you will be able to find a pdf copy.

perhaps you can check grizzly's site and amend your part #'s because the G0586 part numbers only go to a max of #119 and the FENCE SECTION ends in the mid #30's.

Bill Dufour
11-08-2022, 1:10 PM
That paint has to go. You need metal to metal for a good repeatable contact. My Delta fence had issue sliding in and out. I had to turn it upside down and clean where the sliding nut and washer contacted the main body.
Same deal on my metal lathe for the tailstock clamp but dried oil and grease.
Bill D.

Brian Runau
11-08-2022, 3:42 PM
This is an old post.

Brian Runau
11-08-2022, 3:45 PM
Hi Brian,
Not sure if your still around. I just found you article today as I was having the same problem with my jointer as well (same make and model). In short I'll describe what cured my problem and if your having difficulty understanding my description I'll leave my email and feel free to contact me there. Believe me I just resolved the problem today and I've been dealing with this issue for a couple of years.

So, the issue I noticed is the linkage between the fence and the fence carriage (item #115) was always loose. Even after I tightened down the tilt lock handle (Items #120 & #121). Once the tilt lock is tightened there should be zero play in that linkage and the fence should be rock solid.

Here's what I found. There are four set screws (item #125). All four thread through the "Bracket (item#124)", which two of the set screws seat into blocks (item#128) on the back of the fence, and the other two set screws seat into the fence carriage (item#115). Of the four set screws, two where loose. And not just a little loose. This was the root cause on why the fence had so much play after tightening the tilt lock lever and would never stay square. So I made sure that all four set screws are nice and snug tight. No more play and the fence stays nice and square to any angle.

Hope this helps.

I paid a machine shop to machine the fence flat and the small flat that sits on the outfeed table at 90 degrees. Works like new. Brian