PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Wixley Install

Byron Trantham
01-18-2006, 8:18 AM
I got the unit for $39 from Wixley. Couldn't pass up the price. I have a DeWalt 735 planner. My overall impression of the unit is "cheesy". The reason is the lack of parts. You remove two screws that attach the existing cursor. The bracket that replaces it have mounting holes big enough for a 1/4-20 bolt!:eek: Well maybe not 1/4-20, but they are big. I had to add a couple #6 flat washers to capture the bracket. The main measuring bar is held into place with double backed sticky tape and a "foot". For the 735 it is recommended that the bar be mounted with two screws (not provided) by drilling two holes in the original measuring scale! Not! I found out that the longest foot, there are three of them of various lengths, would easily touch the table the planner is mounted on, precluding having to drill holes. Be sure to READ the instructions! Calibration is fairly straight forward. I have to do some planing today so I will see how convenient and accurate it is. If it works well enough it will be worth the installation aggravation. If it is isn't all that accurate (I expect it to be quite accurate) I can remove it and reinstall the old cursor and eat the $40. If it is accurate, would I buy it again, yes. Installation is a one time event and being able to use the digital readout is nice.

Brad Townsend
01-18-2006, 8:56 AM
I also balked at drilling into the OEM scale when I installed mine. It was a fairly simple matter to get a piece of 1" wide flat galvanized and make a bracket in the same shape, with the same attachment points as the original scale, then screw the Wixey into that instead. In retrospect, if I had it to do over, I would not hesitate the go ahead and screw it into the scale, as the Wixey is not as "cheesy" as it may at first appear. It is extremely useful IMHO, and I find it a great addition to my 735.

Eric Gagnon
01-18-2006, 8:57 AM
I have also installed the Wixey digital readout on my Makita planer (bought at Woodcraft), but I am extremely satisfield with the results.

In fact, having a digital readout has totally changed my "relationship" with my planer ;)

For example, I have been making some wood storm windows using 2.5" x 1-1/8" thick by 65" long ash boards finished down from rough stock. By calibrating thickness on a test board and setting the DRO to zero, I was then able to plane the next 50 ash boards EXACTLY down to 1-1/8", with a tolerance of give-or-take a hundredth or two, which is good enough for me (after all, this is woodworking, not precision metalworking, and I think getting too picky about tolerances interferes with the real goal, which is MAKING STUFF).

Compare this with the established method, which is using the threaded stop-bolt and reading off the scale on the side of the unit; I always had the funny feeling that I could be throwing the final thickness off just a little each time I cranked down for the final pass. Now I know when I crank the planer down to zero (after calibrating with a test board), I will get exact thickness I want, and that each board will be the same. At least, that's what my caliper is telling me when I check each new piece.

An added benefit with the DRO is I can now use my planer to consistently shave each EDGE off of boards after I rip them on my band saw. I rip about 1/16" wider than the finished size, then run one edge through at -.05, and then run the other edge through at -.08. This gives me two square, glass-smooth board edges for any stock that will ride through the planer on its edge.

I have been very pleased with the Wixey readout, and it's led me to buy a small digital caliper, which I'm using for mortise and tenon work. I only wish there was a DRO for my Festool router, but I am sure Festool will come out with one sometime--and it will probably cost $895 ;)

Anyway, that's been my experience...

Jeff Sudmeier
01-18-2006, 9:03 AM
Would you guys quit it! I really don't need one of these!! :)

Byron Trantham
01-18-2006, 9:07 AM
I also balked at drilling into the OEM scale when I installed mine. It was a fairly simple matter to get a piece of 1" wide flat galvanized and make a bracket in the same shape, with the same attachment points as the original scale, then screw the Wixey into that instead. In retrospect, if I had it to do over, I would not hesitate the go ahead and screw it into the scale, as the Wixey is not as "cheesy" as it may at first appear. It is extremely useful IMHO, and I find it a great addition to my 735.

Brad, I agree, cheesy may have been a little harsh.:( I finished the calibration and found out it was .005 out. This isn't a big deal but I found out that I could move the readout slightly and get the readout to agree exactly with the thickness of the board. I used a dial indicating caliper and measured my final "calibration thickness" and found it to be .745". The Wixley read .755". By going back and fourth a couple times I was able to move the readout enough to make the readout agree with the actual thickness of the board being measured. As I said earlier, I will be planing some material this afternoon and I will see if the calibration is accurate.

Mark Rios
01-18-2006, 9:49 AM
Would you guys quit it! I really don't need one of these!! :)

I didn't think I did either Jeff. But then I got mine in the mail yesterday and I was just mesmorized.I'm not sure when I'll install it and figure out how it works but I'm sure that I really needed it. You should just order it. :D

Bob Winkler
01-18-2006, 10:49 AM
It's a must have for anal retentive engineer's like me. The install went ok on my Delta 560, but the end result is way cool.

In fact, I'm tempted to buy another to modify it for an external display mounted higher at eye level. Maybe Barry can offer this as an option?

Bob

Larry Crim
01-18-2006, 12:29 PM
byron
Did you get yours directly from wikey for $39? The cheapest I found it is at woodcraft for $45 on sale. not a big difference but it would cover the shipping if I could get it for $39.
Thanks
Larry

Byron Trantham
01-18-2006, 12:44 PM
byron
Did you get yours directly from wikey for $39? The cheapest I found it is at woodcraft for $45 on sale. not a big difference but it would cover the shipping if I could get it for $39.
Thanks
Larry

I sure did. I'm not sure if the deal is still in effect but it's worth a look. I'm all done with the install and have used it to plane a couple baords and it's worth the money.:D

Byron Trantham
01-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Larry, I just took a quick look and the deal is apparently off. Sorry.

Larry Crim
01-18-2006, 1:55 PM
oh well no biggie its just a few bucks I ordered it off WWS.
thanks
Larry