PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid Shop Vac

Carroll Courtney
02-21-2022, 5:11 PM
Guys over the weekend I purchase one of those 16gal shop vacs from HD, to help with cleaning while kinda remodeling the living room. Well needless to say that the hose itself is not to user friendly, kinda stiff not really that flexible. So I was wondering if there is any after market hoses that is longer and more flexible that would work better with the attachments and maybe use for router table, sander etc? Looking for suggestions and maybe links to what you have and like. Thanks for any advice

Jim Dwight
02-21-2022, 6:06 PM
My Rigid sucks through a cyclone and blows out through a quasi hepa filter. My hose hooks to the cyclone. Home Depot sells a 2.5 inch hose that is about 16 feet long that I use sometimes. Like for floor cleaning. But to hook to my sander, track saw, and domino, I use a Bosch 5 meter hose. It is quite reasonable and provides enough airflow for these tools. Is is lighter and more flexible than the 2.5 inch hose. I keep a power cord velcro attached to the hose and plug the tool in as I attach the hose - the festool way. I use computer connectors, however, which is easier to adapt to non-Festools.

Anyway, for the situations where you do not need maximum airflow, the Bosch 5 meter hose works well.

John Gustafson
02-21-2022, 6:23 PM
Bosch sells a 16 ft hose that is really quite flexible. I bought one when I had about 50 12 ft t&g boards that I was prefinishing before I installed them in a kitchen ceiling. It fit my older Bosch ROS with an adapter and it fits 2 1/4 " Ports. I hooked it up to my Ridgid Vac and worked just fine. No issues with kinking. Wife saw it and wanted a shorter one for the shopvac we keep in the house. Same issue, stiff hose with the one that came with the vac. Possible downside it's 35mm (1 3/8") diameter.

Patrick Varley
02-21-2022, 7:00 PM
I have the CenTec Quick Click.

https://www.centecsystems.com/quick-click-dust-collection/

They sell a 20 foot hose. Definitely like the click in adapters, and the multiple adapters which have fit on most everything I've tried them on. Price was pretty reasonable, too.

Jim Becker
02-21-2022, 7:07 PM
The orange hose that HD sells is flexible and durable. It's a major upgrade from the stock plastic hose that typically comes with the vacs.

Zachary Hoyt
02-21-2022, 10:12 PM
When I bought my Ridgid shop vac a few years ago it came with a 2.5" plastic hose (which I liked better than on the old Craftsman vac because it has those holder-togetherer things so it doesn't come loose when pulled on) and a 1.25" rubbery kind of hose like household vacuums used to have. I don't use the small hose much but it is pretty flexible.

Rich Engelhardt
02-22-2022, 6:10 AM
The orange hose that HD sells is flexible and durable. It's a major upgrade from the stock plastic hose that typically comes with the vacs.+1 to that!
If it's the same orange hose that comes in the "Car cleaning kit".(I'm 99% sure it is).

I use it on the end of my Rockler Dust Right's 12 foot hose - which itself is a nice flexible hose - but - lacking any type of fittings.

Curt Harms
02-22-2022, 8:17 AM
I wanted to extend typical 2 1/2" shop vac hose so bought this hose

https://www.amazon.com/CLEAR-COLLECTION-PEACHTREE-WOODWORKING-PW367/dp/B001JBANX8/ref=sr_1_14?crid=SLWU7UAO37HI&keywords=2+1%2F2+inch+dust+collection+hose&qid=1645534864&sprefix=2+1%2F2+inch+%2Caps%2C66&sr=8-14

and two of these

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-Vacuum-Threaded-SVR-4515-2pk/dp/B00KB826IU/ref=sr_1_72?crid=2DD9N5FHDYEA3&keywords=2+1%2F2+inch+dust+collection+hose+fitting s&qid=1645535043&sprefix=2+1%2F2+inch+dust+collection+hose+fittings %2Caps%2C51&sr=8-72

I already had a coupler. The ends screw into the hose but it's probably not a bad idea to put hose clamps over the threaded part. The hose is amazing. It's really flexible, better than the Fein hose that came with the vac. It's 10' long stretched out and about 3' when fully collapsed. What's surprising to me is that when it collapses it maintains its diameter. Other flexible vac hose I've had when it isn't stretched out collapses under vacuum with the segments slightly offset from one another and reduces the effective diameter of the hose. The stuff from Peachtree doesn't do that and I think mine was made in the U.S.

George Yetka
02-22-2022, 9:03 AM
The bosch is a quality option I have one for my chop saw. It was 1/2 the price of the festool

mark mcfarlane
02-22-2022, 9:24 AM
The orange hose that HD sells is flexible and durable. It's a major upgrade from the stock plastic hose that typically comes with the vacs.

+2. Its a decent hose at a reasonable price. I don't use my Rigid vacuum very often so I can't attest to its long term durability but it is an order of magnitude better than the cheap hose that came with the vacuum and only $43.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1-7-8-in-x-10-ft-Pro-Grade-Locking-Vacuum-Hose-Kit-for-RIDGID-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuums-LA2570/305626336?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=Shopping-BF-F_D25T-G-D25T-025_014_WET_DRY_VACS-Multi-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-WetDryVacs&cm_mmc=Shopping-BF-F_D25T-G-D25T-025_014_WET_DRY_VACS-Multi-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-WetDryVacs-71700000089285334-58700007536183006-92700067855255292&gclid=CjwKCAiAsNKQBhAPEiwAB-I5zcvDOg8cGHiLBqRBYMnugKlilLmJ8ULelWxl7uy6PgR8X24d fmQx5xoCkq4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jim Becker
02-22-2022, 9:34 AM
+2. Its a decent hose at a reasonable price. I don't use my Rigid vacuum very often so I can't attest to its long term durability but it is an order of magnitude better than the cheap hose that came with the vacuum and only $43.

I actually can attest to the long term durability as mine is "Very old"...like a decade and a half I suspect. It looks almost new, other than the dust that's "permanently" in the nooks and crannies... :)

Carroll Courtney
02-22-2022, 4:55 PM
Thanks guys for all suggestions, well I have a gift card from my kids to HD so looks like going to make a purchase there. Thanks for coming through again, as always SMC is best

Maurice Mcmurry
02-22-2022, 8:20 PM
Our neighbor had a flood and bought this one, used it once then threw it in the dumpster with other soggy stuff. I pulled it out cleaned and modified it so I can use a yellow shop vac bag inside, which is a must for me. The hose is an antique borrowed from the old Black & Decker, a lucky score at an estate sale.