PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the start..........

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-18-2006, 7:58 AM
......of my conversion to all things spining...? :rolleyes:

I found this on auction.....

http://bag12pr000.auc.bbt.yahoo.co.jp/users/9/4/1/3/threescom-imgbatch_1137564552/483x275-2005111800001.jpg

Kind of a very cheap Jet Mini lathe, OK it is not so good, but at least it is a cast iron base, and it is cheap. The guy lists it for $280 on his site, but he throws one or two a month up on auction, with a one yen, no reserve start, they sell (from past history) for between $100 and $120 on auction.

I think I might just pick this one up, it would be a good start, and it will be perfect for small things like pens etc, and even if ( :rolleyes: ) I move on to a larger lathe, I could keep this for the kids (yes dear, the girls will LOVE making stuff on it ;) ).....

I know, I know, it is not the big honking massive lathe that I should buy, but, when you consider that I've only ever done this on a little drill lathe.... small steps.

I know that if I buy it, and I do sell it in the future, I'll be able to get nearly what I paid for it.

What say you all...?

Cheers!

tod evans
01-18-2006, 8:04 AM
stu, aren`t there trading papers in japan? where folks list items for sale. i know here in the sticks a fellow can find all sorts of cool stuff if he just looks.....but even a new lathe devoid of battle scars is better than no lathe....02 tod

Glenn Hodges
01-18-2006, 8:08 AM
How much do you think it would cost to ship a Jet Mini Lathe from Canada to Japan? You could have a buddy buy it for you in Canada and ship it to you.

Glenn Hodges
01-18-2006, 8:11 AM
One of the key things about a lathe is its speed. What is the lowest speed of this lathe? Can you post the guys site so we can look at the lathe, and see the specs on it?

John Hart
01-18-2006, 8:11 AM
I think its a great start Stu. Anything to get the wood spinning. Most everything in the beginning is the smaller pieces anyway. That knob tells me that it is a variable speed, so that's good. Considering your price problem and shipping expense problem, I'd say you should go for it!!! Save up for 6 months for its Big Brother!;)

01-18-2006, 8:28 AM
Tod, the thing is here in Japan, the whole DIY thing is just starting, really really just starting, say like the US was in the 50's or early 60's, so there is not a bunch of "Stock" of used equipment to draw from. In my experience, the Yahoo Auctions are just about the best way to get this kind of stuff, and in the 3 years or so I've been looking, only low end DIY units, or high-end Pro units come up for sale.

Glen, the shipping would DOUBLE the price, and I'd have the power problem, as the power here is 100V and 50 hertz, not that I've not looked into it, as I have!!

John, ya, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it, I'll wait until the last minute and see if anyone else bids on it. You are correct about the specs.......

ベッド上の振り: 152MM
センター間の距離:300MM
スピンドルの回転数:0-4500rpm
スピンドルのテーパ:MT#1
テイルストックのテーパ:MT#1
出力:250W
梱包寸法:710x190x290mm

What that says is that over the bed height is 152 mm or 6", the distance between center is 300 mm or 12", the speed is 0-4500 rpm, the spindle is a MT#1, same as the tail stock, and the power is 250 watts, what is that, 1/3 of a Hp..? (720 watts = 1 Hp..?)

the total dimensions are 28" x 7.5" x 11.4"

At only 250 watts, it will not turn much on the heavy side, but for a beginner, and for doing pens, this might be OK.

I have this idea to turn nice pens and sell them on auction, if I sell enough, I could buy a nicer lathe :rolleyes:;):D

Stranger things have happened......

Andy Hoyt
01-18-2006, 8:32 AM
Stu - If it will fit through the hatch and make it into the dungeon, it's a no brainer. Go for it.

01-18-2006, 8:34 AM
I forgot to add, The guy's site is kind of pathetic www.threes.com the lathe is there, but not much info.

The only good thing is the shop is about two miles from my house. If I win it on auction, I just zip down on my scooter, pay cash and come home with it. I save the shipping and bank charges.

Looking better all the time.

Cheers!

01-18-2006, 8:37 AM
Stu - If it will fit through the hatch and make it into the dungeon, it's a no brainer. Go for it.

Well if this will fit......

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/jointer/jointer_parked_on_trailer1.jpg

I'm sure this itty bitty lathe will :D

Andy Hoyt
01-18-2006, 8:40 AM
Well then! What are ya waiting for. Git 'er done.

01-18-2006, 8:49 AM
Well then! What are ya waiting for. Git 'er done.

Got to wait 6 days, 22 hours and about 30 minutes for the auction to end.

No "Buy Now" price.

Cheers!

Keith Burns
01-18-2006, 8:54 AM
Stu, go ahead and cross over to the Dark Side....................

On a side note did you get your truck built?

01-18-2006, 8:59 AM
Stu, go ahead and cross over to the Dark Side....................

On a side note did you get your truck built?

Keith do you mean the wooden one?

I did not even order the kit....:o

I was going to order it and have it sent to my parent's house in Canada, and then when my daughters were there over Christmas, they would pick it up and bring it back, but because of a few, ah...... unforeseen budget over runs ;) (TS55, old Husky Chainsaw to mention two) I decided to wait on overdoing it on the credit card thing.....

I really do want to make one, I know my Dad would LOVE it!!

BTW, if you are NOT talking about the wooden truck, I have no idea what you ARE talking about.... ;):D

Cheers!

Keith Burns
01-18-2006, 9:05 AM
Yes Stu, the wooden one. Was just wanting to see the pics.:)

Jeff Sudmeier
01-18-2006, 9:07 AM
Stu, go for it! Everything I have made on my lathe so far could be made on that lathe, pens and associated kits (Letter openers, pencils, etc) and of course bottle stoppers can all be made on that lathe.

Sparky Paessler
01-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Stu, go for it! Everything I have made on my lathe so far could be made on that lathe, pens and associated kits (Letter openers, pencils, etc) and of course bottle stoppers can all be made on that lathe.

Bottle stoppers might sell real well in a Liqour Store!:cool:

Andy Hoyt
01-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Bottle stoppers might sell real well in a Liqour Store!:cool:

Save the liquor? Sure. But that'll slow down the liquor sales.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-18-2006, 11:57 AM
That is a great idea Sparky!! Stu now you have a real good excuse to be in the dungeon!! I have to make more stoppers, we are all out!! Ohh by the way, I have to do more logging because none of the stock I have is suitable for bottle stoppers.. ohh you can use this!

01-18-2006, 1:08 PM
Jeff, I think you and I will get along just fine :D

Bottle stoppers, custom made in the Dungeon, got to be a marketing angle there somewhere.... ;)

Cheers!

Dick Parr
01-18-2006, 2:21 PM
Stu, where is the challenge in getting that lathe down into the shop?:eek:

01-18-2006, 2:26 PM
OK, I'll do it with on hand only.... :D

Frank Chaffee
01-18-2006, 4:25 PM
Bottle stoppers, custom made in the Dungeon, got to be a marketing angle there somewhere.... ;)

Cheers!
But Stu,
The marketing angle from the top of a seven storey building in Tokyo would have a much greater trajectory.

Frank

Ernie Nyvall
01-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Go for it Stu!!!

Ernie

01-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Upon further reflection, maybe I should go for the one that is just a bit bigger....

http://www.kouguya.com/tyokusou/WT-300_250.JPG

They call it a WT-300 here, but I think it is a clone of the ones that Craftsman used to sell and others too....

The outboard face plate would be nice to have, slowest speed is 480 rpm...?
I can get it for around $250 here.

BTW, you can buy two different chucks with it....

http://www.kouguya.com/yahoo/4TUME.jpg

and...

http://www.kouguya.com/gazo/wt300_4.jpg

They sure look different, but what are the different purposes they are supposed to fill?

Just curious.

Cheers!

01-19-2006, 12:32 AM
....and the plot thickens....

I found this homepage, some very ingenious Japanese fellow.....

Neat WT-300 Lathe Page (http://homepage3.nifty.com/manasan/diy/turning/turn-1.htm) <- Japanese only, but lots of pics, keep hitting the "Next" button at the bottom of the page for more....

I hope we don't kill his site....:eek:

Anyways, the guy has found a few fixable problems with the lathe, and he has done a ton of interesting work on it, so I think I might just pony up and buy this lathe....

Andy Hoyt
01-19-2006, 1:02 AM
....They sure look different, but what are the different purposes they are supposed to fill?.....Cheers!

Stu - One tightens around the outside of a tenon and the other grabs the inside walls of a recess.

Vaughn McMillan
01-19-2006, 4:49 AM
...and of course bottle stoppers can all be made on that lathe. Methinks nice local hardwood bottle stoppers sold out of a Tokyo liquor store might bring more profit than pens sold at auction. :rolleyes:

Just thinking out loud... ;)

- Vaughn

(Edited to say I guess I should read all the replies before I respond to a post on the first page, huh? Looks like I wasn't the only one with this thought.)