PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
02-21-2022, 8:45 AM
21 Feb 2022

Greetings,
It's been a busy week for the day job and for trying to get some things done in the shop. I come off of oncall duty tomorrow morning and I'll be free again. ;)
Made a cutting board to send a co-worker of mine and also made a few more cell phone stands. This week, I'm back to working on the queen bed for my son. So we'll see how this goes this week.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
02-21-2022, 8:58 AM
This past week featured some tree removal compliments of our neighbor down the street who is a contractor. He and his spouse bought the property next door to use to refab and sell to keep the neighborhood nice and since he had to get some rental equipment for tree removal, he offered to do what I needed done and also took care of some things for the elderly lady two doors up, too. My cost will be just the time that the crew used to take four trees plus a piece of the equipment rental...that will be far less than getting in a tree company for the work. Two dead Colorado spruce came down initially, but the decision was made to take the other spruce...still living, but not likely for long...and a smaller ornamental fruit tree of some kind that was leaning heavily into the area that my future shop building will go.

At the start...

And...that's where the shop will go when I can accomplish that deed...

Additionally, the company I awarded our whole house generator business to unexpectedly got very fast delivery on the unit and started the install work on Friday. Pad poured, transfer switch up with wires to the generator location pulled, four circuits moved to the main panel to eliminate the old "off peak" sub-panel that despite having a separate meter had no financial incentive, and a few other things got done. Today the forms come off and tomorrow the unit will get placed, neutrals/grounds separated in the original main panel and all the rest of the installation will be completed other than the gas work which is scheduled for the 4th.

Surveyor will be out in the next week or two to do the boundary survey I need to complete a zoning application for my, um..."residential accessory building"...AKA, new shop size and location. I wonder what that's going to cost me...LOL

Paul F Franklin
02-21-2022, 8:59 PM
Jim, sweet deal on working with your neighbor to get your tree work done!

I sealed the backsplash tile grout, put up light by the pantry, filled some nail holes, and made a custom transition between kitchen flooring and family room. I ended up painting the transition as I didn't like any of the gray stains I tried out. I'll let the paint cure for a week or so and then install the transition. Other than that, I'm calling the kitchen project done! Here's a couple of pics:

474398 474399 474400

I took the pics before Mary placed her teapot collection on top of the upper cabinets. I have a little of the backsplash tile left over and I think I'll turn it into a couple of big trivets to use between portable appliances like the Ninja air fryer/oven and the quartz countertop. quartz's weak point is high heat. Countertop guys said as long as the appliance has feet so air can circulate it would be ok, but some folks online report issues with things like toaster ovens. I have a piece of old plywood under the ninja for now, but as attractive as that is, I think the tile would look nicer. I'll just thinset it to a piece of 1/2 plywood and wrap it with a simple frame.

Temps here got close to 60 today so I took the opportunity to dig out the trailer and move it over near the front door. I'll be returning to ripping up old flooring in the hallways next and now can just dump it in the trailer. After some discussion, Mary and I decided to host Easter for my family, so I have a little motivation to get the hallways done before then.

Jim Becker
02-22-2022, 8:47 AM
That's a wonderful looking kitchen, Paul! Thank you for including the sap in the cabinets...it's "real" wood. (I count us fortunate that the old Kraftmaid cabinets in this house also have sap) Your project really came together and that looks like a very pleasant workspace for anyone who likes to cook, too.