PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Planer Question

Ed Gibbons
02-20-2022, 5:36 PM
On my Grizzly planer, I’m the middle of the top is a piece of plastic that impacts the depth of cut. Anyone
with this planer, have you removed the plastic?

Bill Dufour
02-20-2022, 5:49 PM
I think that is a safety feature so you do not take too deep a cut. it also prevents you from cutting into the table. On my parks planer with too deep a cut I have to manually lift the pressure bar to allow the wood to reach the cutterhead. That is easy to do since the pressure bar is the bottom of the intake shield. A more modern planer would be very hard to get to the pressure bar.
Bill D

Mike Kees
02-20-2022, 7:09 PM
Ed I do not think that piece "limits " the cut. I think it is a visual line up to demonstrate where the knives project to. Showing you the rough thickness the planer would cut to.

Kris Cook
02-20-2022, 7:48 PM
My Powermatic has the same feature. In the manual it is described as "depth limiter".

I wouldn't remove it for the reasons Bill stated.

Jared Sankovich
02-20-2022, 8:28 PM
It keeps you from trying to hog off a full width board at the max DOC. It physically limits how thick the board can be at that depth setting.

Andrew Hughes
02-20-2022, 9:07 PM
My powermatic planer has one that’s metal. Someday I’m going to remove it in hopes of destroying the bryd head.
I really don’t like the small amounts of wood that can be cutaway.
I mostly work with Rough wood so I need something that can hog wood. Something Made in America

Mikail Khan
02-20-2022, 9:25 PM
It is metal on my planer. If the board is narrow enough and you are taking a heavy cut use the space to the left or right of the depth limiter.

MK

Mike Kees
02-20-2022, 11:37 PM
My Powermatic has the same feature. In the manual it is described as "depth limiter".

I wouldn't remove it for the reasons Bill stated.
This makes sense. I used to have a Delta DC380 and knew it was there for a reason, just remembered it wrong. Thanks for posting this.