PDA

View Full Version : Announcing - The Next IT Contest

John Hart
01-18-2006, 7:08 AM
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen (and everyone else);)

I'd like to take this time to announce our next Turner's Forum Contest...."The Next IT"

The contest begins on February 1st and will last until March 1st.

I'm making this Pre-Announcement to give everyone a chance to think, because thinking really comes into play on this one.

In this contest, you must dig deep in your imagination and come up with an Innovative Turning (IT). It must be Functional rather than Artful....Although Beauty is a difficult thing to avoid when it comes to woodworking.;) So style and beauty will of course, come into play.

Please DO NOT START NOW. This is very important and there are very specific rules to prevent anyone from getting a head start....But we want everyone to get a chance to get some design ideas in their heads. Those Rules will be laid out on January 31st.

So...What does Innovative and Functional mean? Well, Innovation is related to doing something new....Functional means that it must have a function....Maybe a useful function...Maybe not....That is up to your imagination.

Some Flatwork is allowed (but not too much)....Hardware is allowed...Gadgets are allowed...Electricity is allowed.

We learned a lot from the Itty Bitty Contest, so we hope that all will go smoother with The Next IT.

Our Judges?
Keith Outten
Mark Singer
Dennis Peacock
Jim Becker
John Miliunas

Prize for Best Of Show - a $250 Gift Certificate at Woodcraft (Anonymously Donated)
There are other prizes as well.

So give it some thought...And if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Good Luck....May The Force be with you.:)

Jim Dunn
01-18-2006, 7:54 AM
Oh boy boy boy.:D My wife is always asking me what "IT" is when I show her something from the lathe. Maybe I'll name a piece or two and win?:rolleyes:

Jim

Gary Max
01-18-2006, 8:23 AM
Well this is going to be a hoot----I just can't believe that we have to wait TWO whole weeks for the rules.
I am going to do this one

Keith Burns
01-18-2006, 8:27 AM
Is there any size restrictions ?

Andy Hoyt
01-18-2006, 8:37 AM
Guess it's time to stock up on some more Turning Wax.

Robert Mickley
01-18-2006, 8:45 AM
hmmmmm I all ready have an idea, now I just have to wait till the 31st to see if it falls in line with the rest of the rules. ;) guess I better spend the next 2 weeks getting other projects out of the way. Never mind that I leave on the 30th to go to VA to do some remodel work for my sister thats going to take at least 9 or 10 days. But thats not gonna stop me :D

Now I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas :D:D

John Hart
01-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Is there any size restrictions ?

I think your only restrictions will be based on your photographic prowess...and equipment. Should you need an Electron Microscope to photograph your work, SMC is not responsible for providing that equipment...On the other hand, should you decide to Turn an entire city, I'd be willing to chip in for a good wide angle lens for you! :)

Bob Noles
01-18-2006, 10:18 AM
No way am I going up against this crowd and those judges :D :D

Andy Hoyt
01-18-2006, 10:23 AM

I think the crowd will be tougher than the judges. At least I'm hoping so.

Jim Dunn
01-18-2006, 11:40 AM
When I get the ambrosia maple from John can I incorporate carpenters ants in the design? Or do I have to use my own insects.;)

Jim

Bill Stevener
01-18-2006, 11:43 AM
When I get the ambrosia maple from John can I incorporate carpenters ants in the design? Or do I have to use my own insects.;)

Jim

Only if they are UNION.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
01-18-2006, 12:04 PM

Jim

No...Send all your Ants to Andy Hoyt with a bottle of ketchup or to Bruce Shiverdecker (Nuke them first to get them crunchy)...

...Or better yet, bribe the judges.....Jim Becker likes them Barbequed!;)

Ernie Nyvall
01-18-2006, 9:53 PM
Cool... I'm a thankin alrudy.:confused: :eek: :o :confused:

Ernie

Dennis Peacock
01-18-2006, 10:43 PM

LOL!!!! Come on Bob!!!!!!! You CAN do THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) :D

John Hart
01-20-2006, 8:43 PM
I do want to clarify something as there are some questions regarding exactly "What" you are going to turn. The "what" is determined by you. This is a Free-For-All contest where you decide what you are going to create. The rules will not dictate in any way other than to say that it must be Innovative and must serve some purpose other than Art.

I hope this helps.:)

Steve Clardy
01-20-2006, 9:02 PM
Sounds great. Maybe I'll enter!!

Curt Fuller
01-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun. How do we sign up?

John Hart
01-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun. How do we sign up?

Signing up is easy Curt. The rules will describe how to post your project and that's all you'll need to do. Yup...I hope to see a lot of fun stuff. :)

John Hart
01-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Thought I'd bump this up incase someone didn't see it. One Week to Lift Off!!;) :D

Bill Stevener
01-24-2006, 11:05 PM
John, I was thinking the same thing, got up to page 8 and said, now what happened to that thread, (3 times). Got back to the main page and there it was. :eek:

Well, anyway I have been thinking, some what and have an idea. :D
Should incorporate about everything in your first post, now just waiting on the rules.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
01-26-2006, 7:46 AM
I started working on an Example Project and I hope to post it with the rules....That is...If I don't screw it up!!:eek: You can be sure that the rules will not interfere with what you have in mind if your idea fits with what I've posted above. The world is yours. :)

John Hart
01-30-2006, 8:39 PM
Speaking of stuff happening tomorrow....Here is yet another reminder that The Next IT Contest will be launched tomorrow evening. I finished my project to display as an explanation of how the contest will work....But if anyone has any questions now, I'll be happy to answer them!

Keith Outten finished the Itty Bitty Contest Plaques and got them sent off to me and I got Carole Valentine's finished yesterday and boxed up headed for Virginia. I thought y'all might like a peek so I took some pics.

Mirrors are very difficult to photograph!!

Andy Hoyt
01-30-2006, 8:46 PM
Both are most assuredly and affirmedly wicked cool!

Thanks John.

And one more Atta Girl for Carole!

Jim Ketron
01-30-2006, 9:39 PM
Nice Job Keith and John!

John Miliunas
01-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Totally cool prizes!!! Great job Keith and John! You guys certainly know how to take care of your own!!! :) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
01-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Keith and John? Those are PERFECT and very beautiful. Thanks for both of your efforts and time given for a wonderful contest.

Mark Singer
01-30-2006, 11:42 PM
I have been practicing...ripping and planning on my lathe...even made a couple dovetails.....what a great tool! it just spins and you just make stuff...wow ! I won't re-invent the wheel, but what if we just started turning elliptical. triangular or tetrahedral prisms , just thinking out loud....if they made me a judge thats what I would be looking for....don't laugh...I say a women driving on a flat...not round and it was spinning very nicely....didn't smell to good though:rolleyes:

Karl Laustrup
01-31-2006, 5:28 AM
Frick, is that a true hour glass? ;)

What a nice combination of spinny and flat work.

Keith, the plaque is fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

And Carole, congratulations again. Well deserved.

Karl