PDA

View Full Version : Balboa Glass Install with crane

Mark Singer
01-18-2006, 1:33 AM
It is no wonder why hillside construction is expensive....nothing is standard....access is difficult... Architects don't spec normal size windows...they want big windows...12 ' x 12'! Today we set some glass...one 12' panel broke ...all else went well...

Mark Singer
01-18-2006, 1:35 AM
More pictures...

tod evans
01-18-2006, 5:27 AM
i`m glad it`s you doing that and not me! just taking a wild guess here, about 600# for the panels you show? argon filled and tempered, low-e coating? i`ve built 4x8 wood framed windows and sweated just delivering them to the lumberyard i can immagine your stress level dealing with those monsters! nice work mark.

John Miliunas
01-18-2006, 8:04 AM
Whew!!! Tell ya what, my heart would be in a big lump right smack dab in the middle of my throat until the last pane was set!!! :o Yup, quite the undertaking, but man, wouldya' just look at that view!!!! :D (No, I'm never gonna' quit yapping about that!!! :) ) BTW, just curious: Who gets to "eat" the cost of the broken 12x12 pane???:) :cool:

Mark Singer
01-18-2006, 9:06 AM
Whew!!! Tell ya what, my heart would be in a big lump right smack dab in the middle of my throat until the last pane was set!!! :o Yup, quite the undertaking, but man, wouldya' just look at that view!!!! :D (No, I'm never gonna' quit yapping about that!!! :) ) BTW, just curious: Who gets to "eat" the cost of the broken 12x12 pane???:) :cool:

I guess my buddies Harry and Gary of A better Glass are chewing it. And a $650 dollar crane minimium on top of the cost. Sad thing is they had it installed in the frame and wanted to move it just a touch....an edge caught on the frame and it exploded! The windows are just under $100,000 on the project...so I don't feel like kicking in any more.

John Miliunas
01-18-2006, 9:17 AM
I guess my buddies Harry and Gary of A better Glass are chewing it. And a $650 dollar crane minimium on top of the cost. Sad thing is they had it installed in the frame and wanted to move it just a touch....an edge caught on the frame and it exploded! The windows are just under $100,000 on the project...so I don't feel like kicking in any more.

Hmmmm...Maybe you should pass them the ketchup!!! :rolleyes: 100K$$$??? Man, now that's a lot of cabbage! :eek: Yeah, I guess the old real estate thing about "paying for the view" is definitely non-fictional! Good luck on the rest of the glass!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
01-18-2006, 9:48 AM
Wow quite an effort to install some glass!! This is quite the project!

It is all going to be worth it though for the view!

Jerry Clark
01-18-2006, 9:58 AM
WOW Mark, that project is really coming along-- Thanks for the arm-chair picture view of the program. It is really interesting as it progresses.:) We all dream about a house like that, but never really know the work and costs involved. :D

Jim Becker
01-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Mark, same glass as in your house?? Very nice stuff.

Travis Porter
01-18-2006, 11:48 AM
I had been wondering when you were going to post some more on this project. Impressive on the glass, but where are the cabinet pictures?