PDA

View Full Version : How do I find a Maker with a 3D printer?

John M Wilson
02-18-2022, 8:00 PM
Hi!

The dust chute on my old Delta miter saw finally gave up the ghost -- I have patched & epoxied & taped it for several years now (part is obsolete & no one has any New Old Stock) and it finally just dissolved beyond recognition.

In my fruitless search for a replacement part, I did find some files that a Maker had designed to 3-D print one for himself. But, I don't have a 3-D printer.

What do you think is the best way for me to contact someone who could crank out this part? I would gladly pay for materials, labor, handling, electricity, rent, depreciation, mental anguish, beverages to soothe mental anguish, and any other reasonable expenses associated with such an endeavor.

I have downloaded a STL file and a STEP file, (from https://hackaday.io/project/47172-replacement-dust-chute-for-miter-saw ) but don't know if that's all that is needed...

I'm not sure if this is an Etsy thing, or some of those other new-fangled ways that connect consumers with Makers, but I am willing to be educated by the ever-impressive collection of minds here at the creek.

Any advice is appreciated!

JW

Doug Garson
02-18-2022, 8:20 PM
I think a good place to start would be to post on a woodworking forum, hmmm seems like you already thought of that, good chance someone on the forum will have or know someone who has a 3d printer and will respond. Course there's a better chance somone will suggest this is an excuse to buy a 3d printer. :rolleyes:

Lisa Starr
02-18-2022, 9:14 PM
Doug, I don't know how big this part might be, but that may well complicate your search for someone to print for you.. I have a printer and would be happy to print for you, but mine has a fairly small print envelope. (8" Sq x 6" high or so)

Bill Dufour
02-18-2022, 9:43 PM
I would contact local high school or jr. college.
Bill D

Paul F Franklin
02-18-2022, 10:15 PM
If you're on Facebook, search for a local makers group (just search groups for Makers). If there is a local one, join it and post a request. I'm a member of a local WW group and folks post requests for various ww projects often, and usually get a reply or three.

Lee DeRaud
02-18-2022, 11:19 PM
Doug, I don't know how big this part might be, but that may well complicate your search for someone to print for you.. I have a printer and would be happy to print for you, but mine has a fairly small print envelope. (8" Sq x 6" high or so)If I grabbed the right file, it's about 1.5" x 2.5"x 5".
(I was going to make the same offer, but you're a lot closer. :) )

Jamie Buxton
02-19-2022, 12:15 AM
Mmm, closeness doesn't seem like it matters. The design file goes over the internet. Conversation goes over the phone, or even a video app. The printed part fits easily in a USPS flat rate box.

Dan Friedrichs
02-19-2022, 8:22 AM
There are tons of online services that will print stuff for you. Most have nifty instant quoting tools on their websites. No need to find a friend with a printer - capitalism to the rescue :)

Brian Tymchak
02-19-2022, 9:04 AM
Google is your friend. Try this search: 3d printing services franklin tennessee

Several businesses in your area popped up. Even UPS! I didn't know they offered 3d printing..

David L Morse
02-19-2022, 9:26 AM
Thanks for the opportunity to make dent in my pile of "cutoffs" (nearly empty spools).

PM me your shipping address.

John M Wilson
02-19-2022, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the opportunity to make dent in my pile of "cutoffs" (nearly empty spools).

Wow! Thanks for all the responses... I had no idea that 3-D printing was so available (guess I'm a little behind the times).

And special thanks to David L Morse, who had the thing printed up quicker than I thought possible!

Frederick Skelly
02-19-2022, 10:32 AM

PM me your shipping address.

What a nice thing to do! Things like this are another reason I enjoy SMC so much!