PDA

View Full Version : Used Tool Prices

Rich Riddle
02-18-2022, 7:58 PM
Several sellers on Craigslist are asking 100% of the new price for tools if not a bit more. A man selling some Festool items stated his discount was, "not collecting sales tax." He likely didn't know he didn't have the authority to collect it. Why would anyone purchase used tools when you can simply buy new with a warranty....it's beyond me.

Christopher Herzog
02-18-2022, 8:26 PM
New are not in stock and lead time came be 2023. Supply and demand.

Doug Garson
02-18-2022, 8:38 PM
How about to save money or to avoid months long waits for availability? I have a modest shop full of tools, most used from Craigslist some new. Never had a tool repaired under warranty or fail in a way that would have been covered by warranty if I'd bought the tool new. Agree that just saving the sales tax (12%) in my case wouldn't motivate me to buy used , having to wait months for a new one might make me look used.
I wonder, other than defects right out of the box (which can be avoided when buying used by testing or just inspecting it), how many on the forum have had tools repaired under warranty?

Rich Riddle
02-18-2022, 9:24 PM
New are not in stock and lead time came be 2023. Supply and demand.
Actually, for Festool in this area, we have three dealers with inventory. That's what proved surprising about the sellers wanting full new retail price.

Rod Sheridan
02-18-2022, 9:43 PM
I had my Festool MIDI replaced by Festool because the MIDI didn’t have a Canadian electrical approval.

They shipped me a CT26, a box of bags and a handle and I could keep the hose from the MIDI.

They also picked up the MIDI for scrapping……Rod

P.S. not really a defect, just an illegal sake.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2022, 9:50 PM
Rich, I quit looking for used tools locally as selling prices at very nearly the new tool retail price was the standard method of operation.

Mike Kees
02-18-2022, 10:15 PM
I have noticed slightly higher prices on some stuff locally, but mostly just a lack of tools for sale in general.

Dave Sabo
02-19-2022, 12:16 AM
Several sellers on Craigslist are asking 100% of the new price for tools if not a bit more. A man selling some Festool items stated his discount was, "not collecting sales tax." He likely didn't know he didn't have the authority to collect it. Why would anyone purchase used tools when you can simply buy new with a warranty....it's beyond me.

I’m sure you’re aware that “asking price “ and “selling price” are two different things right ?

If the asking price is met, the market has decided that is the price - regardless of what you think or feel about it.

Paul Haus
02-19-2022, 2:48 AM
Tools and lumber, both seem to have developed a life of their own. Kind of like auctions I've been to, seen things go for more than new price for a seriously worn or damaged tool.

Greg Parrish
02-19-2022, 6:52 AM
Try looking at used sawmills. I’ve watched several sale within a 500 mile radius for double or more the new price. But, they are all back ordered and require a wait for new. Woodmizer is 53 weeks out on many models.

Andrew More
02-19-2022, 8:52 AM
Clearly something is out of whack. With the current snarls in the supply line, uncertainty about future prices, and uneven distribution it's hard to say what. Could be the guys selling for "retail" are actually offering a decent price, once things come back in stock with price increases. Could be things will normalize back to normal, or even lower if we get a big enough recession.

What I do know is that I bought a G0490X for ~$1500 in 2019, and it's now about $2100.

With the current tensions between the US and China, and it seems unlike that the price is going to go back down again.

We have similar issues with lumber, at least in the US, since a lot of the low prices had been driven by Canada clear cutting to deal with a bug infestation killing the trees. That seems to slowed or stopped, and prices have been rising as a result.

There is a lot of talk about being "out of everything": steel, aluminum, copper, oil, etc. Hard to say if this is true or not, since the supplies are driven by some very complex systems. Generally speaking the fix for high prices, is high prices as more supply comes on line, but it's usually not quick to happen, and prices are often quicker to move up than down.

John TenEyck
02-19-2022, 10:08 AM
Most everything costs more today than a year ago, whether tools, new or used, or food or gasoline. I suspect many of those price increases will stick even after the supply chain sorts itself out, just like prices stayed higher after Europe went to the Euro. Shocks to the norm are opportunities for companies to raise prices, partially to offset increased costs, but to increase profit, too. So you either buy or you don't, simple as that.

On the flip side, if you have tools and machines you no longer use now is a really good time to put them up for sale. I've sold a couple of machines this year. Both the customer and I were really happy with the deal.

John

John TenEyck
02-19-2022, 10:32 AM
That guy is out of line. In California you are supposed to collect sales tax on every sale, commercial or not, and send it on to the state. Just like you are supposed to report every penny of self employment income for taxes.
Remember when they could not find a Attorney general who had paid social security taxes for their nanny? After several failures hey went with Jannet Reno who had no children.
Bill D

In NYS the buyer is responsible for paying the sales tax in a private transaction.

John

Erik Loza
02-19-2022, 11:00 AM
A increasingly common conversation since the pandemic started:

"Lead time is HOW long??? Thanks but I'll try to find something used. *click*"

6-9 months later: "Hi again. I guess I'll put my order in now... (*audible sigh*)"

Erik

Charles Coolidge
02-19-2022, 11:38 AM
Some are asking near retail price in my area, their stuff sits not sold week after week. Increase in retail prices are more of a concern to me, the 3D printer I purchased less than 1 year ago has gone up $2,500 in price :eek:

lou Brava
02-19-2022, 11:47 AM

Agree 100%, I've been slowly building up my garage shop & have scoured CL for the last year 1 1/2 in Oregon & CA & have not bought 1 used tool due to exactly what you said. I've even seen multiple used tools on CL that are listed for more than you can buy them new for ????

Keegan Shields
02-19-2022, 12:25 PM
For my area, if you can be patient, there are plenty of deals to be had (although in central Texas we have 4 large metro areas and everyone in between) There are CL ads that have sat for months or maybe years due to being overpriced. The true deals are posted and only last hours or perhaps a few days.

I’ve had good luck with misspelled ads so search for “tablesaw” and “table saw”. Also, search for terms separately “Grizzly” and “bandsaw” not “Grizzly bandsaw”. Try searching for “woodworking” occasionally, go through the pictures and see what you can see. Many people don’t list all the items accurately or may not know what they have. Also look for tools in the background of pictures and ask if items are for sale. That’s how I found a good deal on a 15” PM planer. Guy didn’t have it listed yet.

Or if it’s a major tool purchase, expand your search radius. Just some ideas. The ads also seem to come in waves, not sure if it’s end-of-the-month bills or a surge of new tool deliveries.

Rich Riddle
02-19-2022, 1:44 PM
Sort of irony when looking through Craigslist.....two junk multimeters with no batteries or leads and the guy wants $35 because the came from a trade school. He's not sure they work. Look at the ruler that apparently is there to show the size, but it has other implications as well.

Richard Coers
02-19-2022, 2:30 PM
The price listed anywhere has always been based on what you can get for it. Even back when 6 dozen eggs got you a bag of sugar. It ebbs and flows, always. Remember when people paid 15% interest on home mortgages? It's not news, not a mystery, it's how our system works. Wait until gas goes over $5 a gallon. Our son just traded in a Mercedes diesel cargo van for $2,000 less than he paid for it. He was thrilled until he saw the dealers ad listing the van for $13,000 more than he paid for it. It sold.

Joe Jensen
02-19-2022, 2:44 PM
Actually, for Festool in this area, we have three dealers with inventory. That's what proved surprising about the sellers wanting full new retail price.

I guess it depends on condition and savings. New $1000 tool here adds another $100 in tax. Like new with no tax, maybe. Supply and demand in the local market will determine the price. I personally think the interwebs wisdom on what someone should pay for used machines is crazy optimistic. Maybe if your hobby is driving around and lowballing sellers then I suppose. That's not me.

Michael Schuch
02-19-2022, 6:07 PM
A couple of tips:
1) Put the minimum price in the Craigslist search to $2. Anyone that lists something as 0$ or 1$ is too embarrassed (for good reason) to list the actual price in the price section of the add.
2) There is a little garbage can "delete" icon on each add. If you have no interest in the item then stop looking at it. The over priced junk items hide the true deals. I have over 300 tool items in my "hidden" list right now. Some pains in the rear will delete their add and relist the exact same add using add listing software instead of renewing their add and the "hidden" doesn't work. Oh well.
3) People will ask ridiculous prices for their junk and it will either be listed for months or years and they will get tired of listing it or someone will buy it. I don't give it a second thought.

fred woltersdorf
02-20-2022, 7:44 AM
Sort of irony when looking through Craigslist.....two junk multimeters with no batteries or leads and the guy wants $35 because the came from a trade school. He's not sure they work. Look at the ruler that apparently is there to show the size, but it has other implications as well.

Those look like the free ones I got from HF.

Chris Schoenthal
02-20-2022, 10:46 AM
The supply and demand thing is a key issue. I've been looking for a jointer for quite a while and the only ones listed in my area are seriously old and rusty Craftsman 6" listed for over $200.
Looking at cabinet saws yields the same results. To me a 1960's Rockwell saw (rusty and in pieces) isn't worth $12-1500 and a Craftsman contractor saw isn't worth $250.
I just keep a saved search (sending results to my email), hoping to run into someone that isn't so clueless or greedy.

Patrick Varley
02-20-2022, 12:48 PM
The AirWorks auction used to be in my neck of the woods before I moved, and always enjoyed going. Still keep an eye on it every year. Just looking at the prices from this past weekend, still seems that there were potentially "deals" vs. retail price but definitely a bump from the past few years.

https://airworksauction.proxibid.com/Airworks-Consignment-Auction-LTD/Industrial-Woodworking-Equipment/event-catalog/215067

Jared Sankovich
02-21-2022, 11:22 AM
Everything is up, but from what I'm seeing used commercial/ industrial machinery is not close to used hobby level pricing. This excludes auctions houses that everyone knows (irs) those prices are all over the place.

Well that or my threshold for "good prices" have trended up as well.

Thomas Wilson
02-21-2022, 12:23 PM
The supply and demand thing is a key issue. I've been looking for a jointer for quite a while and the only ones listed in my area are seriously old and rusty Craftsman 6" listed for over $200.
Looking at cabinet saws yields the same results. To me a 1960's Rockwell saw (rusty and in pieces) isn't worth $12-1500 and a Craftsman contractor saw isn't worth $250.
I just keep a saved search (sending results to my email), hoping to run into someone that isn't so clueless or greedy.
A few years ago I listed my Craftsman jointer on Craig’s s List for $75. The tables had been ground flat, knife setting gauge was included, all the spare blades were sharpened. Guy showed up to look at it. I dropped the price to $50 just because the guy’s last name was Chippendale. Maybe I should have held on to it.

Alex Zeller
02-21-2022, 2:56 PM
The problem is that with the internet people can find used equipment at much further distances than they ever could. That pushes prices up all on it's own. I bought my jointer used from a guy who was about a 4 hour drive away because of facebook marketplace. At the time I thought the price was a little high (about 60% of new) but it was in great shape and came with the Powermatic mobile base. That was during the pandemic in summer 2020. Now the price has gone up enough so I paid closer to 40% of todays prices.

John Goodin
02-21-2022, 10:13 PM
I wish I could find good used equipment locally. In Austin most the items on Craigslist are cordless tools likely stolen from a borg, welders and occasionally a poor quality band saw that has sat in someone's barn for a decade. Even if the prices were good I would not be interested.

From what I gather some areas of the country have a good supply of used equipment and others, like mine, have a good supply of junk.

Chris Schoenthal
02-21-2022, 10:22 PM
Some examples of items people are trying to sell in the DFW area on Craigslist & Marketplace.

1. A Jet contractor table saw. Sure it has a router in the side table and comes with an Incra fence, but they are asking $3000 for it.

2. 6' jointer for only $200

3. 8" jointer - old & big iron, but not for $1500

4. an indistinct belt/disc sander that can be yours for $350.

It almost makes you wonder if people are just greedy, trying to take advantage of a situation, or completely clueless.
Didn't PT Barnum have a saying about this?

Richard Coers
02-23-2022, 10:47 AM
I thought you would appreciate this Marketplace ad Rich. $150 for 10 used files and rasps.

Phillip Mitchell
02-23-2022, 11:30 AM
Used hobby grade pricing is the Wild West right now and has only been getting worse for the last several months. I’m glad I’m not actively in the market for tools to put together a whole shop and already have most of what I need.

Along these lines I saw this ad a while back on FB marketplace and had to screen shot it. Sent it to my brother who has mentioned casual interest in finding a cheaper dozer for his property. We got a few laughs, and I felt like this was a pretty good indicator of the situation we’re in with used equipment pricing.

Erik Loza
02-23-2022, 11:48 AM
Here's some irony: Practically every shop I go into has some piece or pieces of equipment that, if I had cash in had, could easily drive off with. One owner offered me a Centauro 900mm bandsaw. "Please, just take it away". I had no interest but you get the point. There are still plenty of used industrial machines to be had but you will never find these on FB marketplace or whatever. For example, I can think of an Altendorf F-45 Elmo that could probably be had for a good deal but I suspect the owner probably thinks the internet lets the illuminati track you or something, so you would never see it for sale online. You actually need to walk into these shops and have face-to-face conversations with the owner. Just like that TV show where the guys drive around rural towns, looking for vintage cars. There's a used machine dealer I know who does exactly this: Plans scouting trips to various areas. He's quite successful but it's very boots-on-the-ground.

Erik

Andrew More
02-23-2022, 3:22 PM
2. 6' jointer for only $200

3. 8" jointer - old & big iron, but not for $1500

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. 6" jointers are ~$1300 from Grizzly, with shipping, and that one appears to have just some surface rust. $200 sounds about right for around here, though I'd want to thoroughly inspect it. Same with the 8" jointer, you can get something similar from Grizzly, for ~$1800 shipped, but that's when they come back in stock. Having ordered from them in the past, when things weren't all messed up that can take months, and ALL of the 8" jointers appear to be on back order. The 6" seem to have only one model of three available.

Finally that old Delta might still be a better machine that what's available from Grizzly. (Oh, and I _never_ see 8" jointers show up on the local craigslist or FB)

Patrick Varley
02-23-2022, 4:47 PM
Spoke too soon. Anyone near Milwaukee? 3/4 HP Multi-head Powermatic Drill press for $150. I wish I needed one!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1291844364663035/

John Lanciani
02-23-2022, 5:55 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to judge. 6" jointers are ~$1300 from Grizzly, with shipping, and that one appears to have just some surface rust. $200 sounds about right for around here, though I'd want to thoroughly inspect it. Same with the 8" jointer, you can get something similar from Grizzly, for ~$1800 shipped, but that's when they come back in stock. Having ordered from them in the past, when things weren't all messed up that can take months, and ALL of the 8" jointers appear to be on back order. The 6" seem to have only one model of three available.

Finally that old Delta might still be a better machine that what's available from Grizzly. (Oh, and I _never_ see 8" jointers show up on the local craigslist or FB)

If that Delta Crescent jointer is as complete and original as it looks I'd give $1200 for it in a heartbeat. The cast iron base alone weighs as much as most new 6" jointers.

George Wall
02-24-2022, 9:23 PM
And there are plenty of DMMs for sale in the usual places.

Michael Schuch
02-25-2022, 2:41 AM
Spoke too soon. Anyone near Milwaukee? 3/4 HP Multi-head Powermatic Drill press for $150. I wish I needed one!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1291844364663035/

At $150 for a Powermatic reeves drive variable speed drill press with the multi head attachment with it "need" has nothing to do with it! Buy it and sell the multihead adapter on ebay for $200. I would have been on that drill press before you had a chance to finish your post! ...wait, that is how I ended up with my Delta reeves drive variable speed 19" drill press for $200. I just swapped the old 13" Harbor Freight drill press to one of my daughters teenage friends for a day helping me clean the shop and kept the Delta.