PDA

View Full Version : Looking for small sheet of 9mm mdf or plywood in Minneapolis area

Douglas Mosman
02-16-2022, 5:36 PM
I purchased a Wen drill press table and it has a 9mm thick insert piece (about 3 x 6 in.).
I'd like find a small sheet of 9mm ... something, that I could quickly chop up into several replacement inserts.
Does anyone know any sources in the Minneapolis MN area (I live in Maple Grove so preferably the NW side)

Paul Haus
02-16-2022, 6:40 PM
I would call either Industrial Lumber & plywood off Washington or Siwek off Marshall. I don't know if either have it but more likely there than any of the home supply places.
Good luck

Jamie Buxton
02-16-2022, 7:07 PM
Woodcraft sells 12”x12” pieces of 9mm Baltic birch plywood.

Andrew Seemann
02-16-2022, 11:34 PM
Hi Doug, how have you been? I've got some 3/8 plywood we could run through the drum sander to 9mm if you want. PM if interested. Also, I think I have some lapping compound you left when we did your plane.

Kane Bragg
02-16-2022, 11:57 PM
Another fellow Minneapolis’er here. Any tips on where to buy quality multiply plywood (Baltic Birch, etc.) for making cabinets in Minneapolis or surrounding area? Menards/HD seem a little thin on selection.

Andrew Seemann
02-17-2022, 12:22 AM
Industrial Lumber and Plywood will sell to you if you are a MN Woodworking Guild member, otherwise they are just wholesale (definitely worth the $30 membership cost, between that and the Rockler/Woodcraft discount). Min order is $100, but that is basically one or two good sheets of plywood these days.

Forrest Products in Maplewood is another possibility, and they can order in stuff as well, although it probably is more expensive. Menards can also do special order.

The MN WW Guild site has a listing of most everything locally available for lumber and woodworking on the "Discounts" page. The Youngblood Alternatives part of that page has a list of most lumber/plywood suppliers of note.

Kane Bragg
02-17-2022, 12:34 AM
Industrial Lumber and Plywood will sell to you if you are a MN Woodworking Guild member, otherwise they are just wholesale (definitely worth the $30 membership cost, between that and the Rockler/Woodcraft discount). Min order is $100, but that is basically one or two good sheets of plywood these days.

Forrest Products in Maplewood is another possibility, and they can order in stuff as well, although it probably is more expensive. Menards can also do special order.

The MN WW Guild site has a listing of most everything locally available for lumber and woodworking on the "Discounts" page. The Youngblood Alternatives part of that page has a list of most lumber/plywood suppliers of note.

Thank you so much for this. Very appreciated!

Bob Jones 5443
02-17-2022, 2:33 AM
Could you just run a solid wood board through a planer to get to 9 mm?

Douglas Mosman
02-17-2022, 1:39 PM
Now there's a thought! An excuse to buy a planer! :D:D

Buut, I might need just a wee bit bigger project to get that purchase approved :p:rolleyes:

Douglas Mosman
02-17-2022, 8:58 PM

I did not know this. Thank you Andrew. I was being a bit frustrated that all the good places were "wholesale only". I signed up today.