PDA

View Full Version : Disabled on Facebook

Kevin Jenness
02-16-2022, 10:44 AM
I have an aversion to Facebook for numerous reasons, but decided to set up an account in order to search for a specific machine on Facebook Marketplace. Shortly thereafter I was informed that my account was disabled for violating community standards. I hadn't actually posted anything other than setting up an alert for new listings for that machine so I am curious what might have triggered the suspension. Requesting a review requires a cellphone to receive a texted confirmation code, and that I do not have. Perhaps their algorithms have divined that I am not the right sort of person. Sad!

Malcolm Schweizer
02-16-2022, 11:24 AM
Maybe you were hacked unbeknownst to you.

Jim Becker
02-16-2022, 2:31 PM
I'm with Malcolm...you may have been perceived as a clone of someone else for whatever reason and they are coming down quickly on this situations because they have become a real problem. You may be able to receive a text message by other means, such as with a Google Voice number. Unfortunately, cell phones are the primary method for two-factor authentication at this point; hence the code to prove they are communicating with a real person.

Kevin Jenness
02-16-2022, 2:44 PM
I'm with Malcolm...you may have been perceived as a clone of someone else for whatever reason and they are coming down quickly on this situations because they have become a real problem. You may be able to receive a text message by other means, such as with a Google Voice number. Unfortunately, cell phones are the primary method for two-factor authentication at this point; hence the code to prove they are communicating with a real person.

Google voice number? It's too many for me. There didn't seem to be any alternative to texting. Fortunately I am not dependent on Faceberg or smellphones in general but many people seem to be and maybe I will have to eventually to be recognized as a "real person".

I tried to complete a Best Buy order at home a few days ago and couldn't get a confirmation code because my wife's cell phone doesn't have coverage on this side of the hill - had to go back in person to the store.

I remember seeing a 1965 scifi film Alphaville in which a couple of characters were left without funds in a cashless future because their credit had been revoked. Coming soon to a neighborhood near you.

Jim Becker
02-16-2022, 3:03 PM
Even a basic wireless phone supports texting, but yes, Google Voice is a way to text using your computer. A lot of small businesses use it or similar so that people can have a number for voice and text and have their personal number(s) hidden. One reason that entities use text for authentication is because it's near immediate delivery. Doing the same via email (which is sometimes supported) sometimes involves delivery delays of the time sensitive codes. Even SSA uses wireless numbers for authentication when one wants/needs to login to the SSA system. For awhile it was mandatory, but they did come up with an alternative two factor method for the folks who don't have cell phones. (My mother was one of them, but since I managed things for her, it wasn't an issue)

Kevin Jenness
02-16-2022, 3:10 PM
Thanks, Jim, that is helpful.

Kev Williams
02-16-2022, 4:18 PM
I buy stuff online almost daily, from Amazon to Zoro and everything in between, and I've never been turned down for a sale or login because I refused a text confirmation, my Gmail has always sufficed.

NO one has my cell number except the wife, our kids, a few friends and Tracfone. Not one single online entity that sells anything has my cell phone number and will never get it.

FWIW I've been dealing with SSA online since Y2k, and them emailing me a security code to log on has always worked...

Jim Becker
02-16-2022, 7:24 PM
FWIW I've been dealing with SSA online since Y2k, and them emailing me a security code to log on has always worked...

There was a period of time a few years ago when the access code was only available via text message. As I noted, they did change that when too many issues presented. I do not remember the specific time frame but it was when they started using the two-factor method and mistakenly thought that everyone had a wireless phone.

Mark Hennebury
02-16-2022, 7:43 PM
Apparently not all of the dinosaurs died.

Kevin Jenness
02-16-2022, 8:55 PM

I resemble that remark.

Bruce Wrenn
02-16-2022, 9:00 PM
NO one has my cell number except the wife, our kids, a few friends and Tracfone. Not one single online entity that sells anything has my cell phone number and will never get it.
.Don't worry, with Tracphone now being owned by Verizon, it's only a matter of time before they sell your number and info. Switched to Tracphone a couple months back. It's been nice while it lasts.

Bruce Wrenn
02-16-2022, 9:01 PM

There are at least two of us still alive.

Curt Harms
02-17-2022, 11:11 AM
I have an aversion to Facebook for numerous reasons, but decided to set up an account in order to search for a specific machine on Facebook Marketplace. Shortly thereafter I was informed that my account was disabled for violating community standards. I hadn't actually posted anything other than setting up an alert for new listings for that machine so I am curious what might have triggered the suspension. Requesting a review requires a cellphone to receive a texted confirmation code, and that I do not have. Perhaps their algorithms have divined that I am not the right sort of person. Sad!

One reason to have a 'burner' phone. They can be set up pretty cheap, I have unlimited talk & text for $18/month. SWMBO hates cell phones but has one, her service is per minute. $.10 each day she uses it and $.10 per minute or $0.10 per text. No data practically speaking. Airvoicewireless (dot) com. So $10 every 3 months.

Luke Dupont
02-17-2022, 8:05 PM
Google voice number? It's too many for me. There didn't seem to be any alternative to texting. Fortunately I am not dependent on Faceberg or smellphones in general but many people seem to be and maybe I will have to eventually to be recognized as a "real person".

I tried to complete a Best Buy order at home a few days ago and couldn't get a confirmation code because my wife's cell phone doesn't have coverage on this side of the hill - had to go back in person to the store.

I remember seeing a 1965 scifi film Alphaville in which a couple of characters were left without funds in a cashless future because their credit had been revoked. Coming soon to a neighborhood near you.

I am worried about this too, honestly. There are so many services and things that have required me to have a smartphone which shouldn't have, and which I would like completely independant of my phone and my number...

And don't get me started on accounts that want to tie themselves to my phone number or require my physical phone or phone number for 2 factor authentication. I change phones and phone numbers so freaking often and then lose access to these accounts, sometimes with no recourse for regaining access because some shortsighted developers didn't think that you might change both your device and your phone number...

I'd ideally love not to have a Smartphone, or have one that actually respects your privacy. But, that's sadly not the way that the world is going...
Maybe one day we'll actually get a functional, quality open source / Linux phone, but my hopes aren't very high.

Jim Becker
02-17-2022, 8:13 PM
Luke, in case you were not aware, Android comes from the Linux world. There are some additional privacy things coming for it, particularly around tracking, similar to what Apple is already enforcing. It's unlikely there will ever be any kind of "open source" OS for mobile devices at this point, unfortunately.

Jim Koepke
02-18-2022, 10:56 AM

Even if we still had cell phones there is no coverage in my area.

My wife even has problems with email sent verifications.

We're working on it.

jtk

Jim Koepke
02-18-2022, 11:00 AM
And don't get me started on accounts that want to tie themselves to my phone number or require my physical phone or phone number for 2 factor authentication. I change phones and phone numbers so freaking often and then lose access to these accounts, sometimes with no recourse for regaining access because some shortsighted developers didn't think that you might change both your device and your phone number...

You don't have to tell me about the numbskulls in charge.

We used to live in California with an email tied to our landline. There are still some accounts that have been impossible to replace my old eddress to one of my newer ones.

The trouble with modern technologies is some people still want things set in stone.

jtk

Curt Harms
02-18-2022, 1:46 PM
Luke, in case you were not aware, Android comes from the Linux world. There are some additional privacy things coming for it, particularly around tracking, similar to what Apple is already enforcing. It's unlikely there will ever be any kind of "open source" OS for mobile devices at this point, unfortunately.

There are 'open source' OSs for mobile devices. The problem for them is to gain a critical mass and having an app store. LineageOS is available for some phones, not all. It's a good option for phones that are no longer supported. LineageOS doesn't look trivial to install. PinePhone is another, seems appropriate for woodworking sorts. PinePhone makes their own phones. There's also Jolla which runs sailfish OS. So there are a few but they haven't gotten traction, especially on this side of the Atlantic.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2022, 4:41 PM
You don't have to tell me about the numbskulls in charge.

We used to live in California with an email tied to our landline. There are still some accounts that have been impossible to replace my old eddress to one of my newer ones.

The trouble with modern technologies is some people still want things set in stone.

jtk

We got notified in late August of last year that as of Dec. 2, 2021, our cable provider was not going to support or provide email service in the future. I had used the same email address since the internet and email came to the LC valley. In October I had a gmail email account and began spending time each evening updating our accounts at various websites/companies where I was able to change the email address attached to the account. My wife had wanted to change to satellite tv for several years as it was cheaper, but I always was able to hold her at bay by merely saying "fine, you change the email addresses at all these accounts" as I handed her the hardbound book with our account passwords. This always won my way. It seems that each company has a different method, if possible, to change email addresses. By the 3rd week in November, I had all the accounts (65) that would allow me to change the email address completed. The following Tuesday the Dish guy was here installing the satellite antenna and hooking us up. We maintained an account with the cable company for internet and let them provide a internet phone service to replace the landline we had been using for nearly 40 years.

The accounts that didn't provide a method for me to change to the new email address, I guess when/if we need to use them, we'll open a new account.

Jim Becker
02-18-2022, 9:35 PM
There are 'open source' OSs for mobile devices. The problem for them is to gain a critical mass and having an app store. LineageOS is available for some phones, not all. It's a good option for phones that are no longer supported. LineageOS doesn't look trivial to install. PinePhone is another, seems appropriate for woodworking sorts. PinePhone makes their own phones. There's also Jolla which runs sailfish OS. So there are a few but they haven't gotten traction, especially on this side of the Atlantic.
Let me rephrase...my intention with my statement was around mainstream use. It's nice to know there are some actual open source solutions out there, but the "average Joe/Jane" isn't going to be able to leverage them. Heck, Microsoft bailed (and favores Android for mobiles) and Blackberry moved their stuff onto Android, too. Those are/were heavy hitters who couldn't or chose not to compete with Android and iOS.

Ronald Blue
02-19-2022, 10:00 AM
We got notified in late August of last year that as of Dec. 2, 2021, our cable provider was not going to support or provide email service in the future. I had used the same email address since the internet and email came to the LC valley. In October I had a gmail email account and began spending time each evening updating our accounts at various websites/companies where I was able to change the email address attached to the account. My wife had wanted to change to satellite tv for several years as it was cheaper, but I always was able to hold her at bay by merely saying "fine, you change the email addresses at all these accounts" as I handed her the hardbound book with our account passwords. This always won my way. It seems that each company has a different method, if possible, to change email addresses. By the 3rd week in November, I had all the accounts (65) that would allow me to change the email address completed. The following Tuesday the Dish guy was here installing the satellite antenna and hooking us up. We maintained an account with the cable company for internet and let them provide a internet phone service to replace the landline we had been using for nearly 40 years.

The accounts that didn't provide a method for me to change to the new email address, I guess when/if we need to use them, we'll open a new account.

We have had Dish several times over the years. Their "introductory" rate is nice but when the 2 year period ends hang on. We went with streaming and have Google TV now and while it's about the same price it stays there. Also added some other services as well. It can be a vortex but the other thing about streaming is it's not weather affected. Heavy snow or rain fall knocks out satellite. Also if snow builds up on the dish. Ours was mounted on a post on the ground so it wasn't a big deal to clean off. On the roof it would be a whole different story. Good luck.

Jim Becker
02-19-2022, 10:56 AM
Ronald, there are a lot of folks out there where satellite service, now including StarLink, is their only option for Internet access that's faster than a slug. So for streaming, it's kinda the only option, weather notwithstanding. Kinda sad, but it is what it is...

But I'm a fan of the streaming method for enjoying video content, despite the fact that it's quickly moved toward almost the same model as "Cable" where if you want to have access to live TV from normal network providers, you have to have some form of a bundle. These are all running about $60-70 average at this point. (We use Hulu+LiveTV here)

Jon Grider
02-19-2022, 11:26 AM
I resemble that remark. Nice to know that there is another living human that does not use a cell phone. I understand the convenience but I also witness the apparent addiction that people have with them. Grandkids would rather text friends than have conversation while sharing a meal; grown kids seem to think it's OK to stop everything if the phone beckons; idiots stare at their phones while driving instead of the road and traffic; the list could go on. I have made it 67 years without a cell phone, and hope I can finish this earthly life without one. I do not consider it an insult to be called a dinosaur.

Kev Williams
02-19-2022, 12:24 PM
My fascination with the fascination with cell phones and all their high-tech stuff, is the irony:

At Xmas time, birthdays and various other family/friend get-togethers, while waiting for 'the action' everyone is glued to their phones like 85% of the time, and the other 15% they're taking selfies--

--but when the action happens and the time comes to open the presents and blow out the candles, why is it that I, with my trusty GoPro and DSLR, am the ONLY person taking pics and video?

Ronald Blue
02-19-2022, 3:03 PM
Ronald, there are a lot of folks out there where satellite service, now including StarLink, is their only option for Internet access that's faster than a slug. So for streaming, it's kinda the only option, weather notwithstanding. Kinda sad, but it is what it is...

But I'm a fan of the streaming method for enjoying video content, despite the fact that it's quickly moved toward almost the same model as "Cable" where if you want to have access to live TV from normal network providers, you have to have some form of a bundle. These are all running about $60-70 average at this point. (We use Hulu+LiveTV here)

That's true that for many less populated areas there isn't a decent internet option for streaming. It sounds like StarLink may be good. I know the previous options for satellite internet were not very satisfactory. How far we have came from the days of dial up is amazing.

Jim Becker
02-19-2022, 3:34 PM
Latency with StarLink "may" be better because of the low orbit for the sat constellation. But I haven't studied it given it's not something I will ever need.

Mark Brewer
02-19-2022, 4:17 PM
With absolutely no disrespect to anyone with/using Facebook
I have never had Facebook and never will…

Alex Zeller
02-19-2022, 10:30 PM
I just got Starlink to replace Verizon's 4G service I had been using. Speed wise it's about 3 times as fast downloading as 4G (so probably slower than 5G when it comes out) and the lag is about 35 ms. But it's unlimited data something Verizon will need to look into. Upload is about the same speed. It works just fine for streaming, which is why I switched. Dish network is getting too expensive and their equipment needs to be the latest version (which they refuse to update me to) or you'll have annoying issues. Hopefully Verizon switches to unlimited (not slow down when you reach a point) in the future. I had Hughesnet in the past and that was terrible. The lag felt like it was minutes, not milliseconds.

Jim Becker
02-20-2022, 10:52 AM
Alex, the speed difference between 4G and 5G wil depend upon the "where" and what 5G frequency band is in play. Low band 5G will not have much speed advantage over 4G simply because it's designed to cover larger distances which is what happens in more rural areas. High/wide band 5G, which is the fastest is only going to be a reality for folks in urban areas and some towns that can support the requirement for base stations every 1500-3000'. ("traditional" cell towers are miles apart) Mid-band is the compromise and what will provide the most bang to many users because it can support speeds up to about a gigabit (in ideal conditions) while still permitting base station spacing that's common for 4G in suburban and reasonably trafficked areas, such as along transportation corridors. So for fixed base, home Internet, 5G has promise for a lot of folks, but at least in the near term, isn't going to benefit the rural community away from the transportation corridors as much. I agree about the bandwidth CAPs that typical 4G hotspot/fixed base feature. It's very limiting. It will be interesting to see how Verizon and others deal with that for 5G home services...VZ has no caps on FiOS (fiber to the home) in areas served and the 5G home product is the logical extension for them to expand their footprint for high speed Internet access more broadly

Alex Zeller
02-20-2022, 4:43 PM
Verizon's 5G wasn't worth the money to upgrade to other than their Ultra 5G service (very short range). But now that they are turning on their C-Band 5G it should be a lot better. But when that comes to my neck of the woods is anyone's guess. Ultra 5G will never be an option around here. If Verizon decides to offer truly unlimited data I could switch back but with a monthly limit of 150gb streaming would be limited.

When I built my house I didn't bother with a phone line. The neighbors said the quality of phone calls wasn't very good. The phone company wanted their cable to be buried in 3" conduit so I didn't bother. I'm positive they wouldn't replace it with fiber optic for anyone on the 1/2 mile road I live at the end of so FIOS is unlikely to be an option in my lifetime. One neighbor has DSL but the service is terrible.

It should get better but to get Starlink you had to sign up and pay $99 and then wait. I think I only waited 3 months but I've heard of people who've waited over a year. It's not the best service but for those like me with very limited options it's probably the best option. If Amazon does come up with their low orbit sat internet service (I'm not sure if they will follow through) prices could drop and speeds should get better. As it is Starlink offers a faster service for a lot more money designed for businesses.

I suspect that in a decade or so main roads will have fiber optic and from the poles to the houses will be something like Verizon's Ultra 5G. It'll be for data and what ever version of TV that eventually becomes the standard. No more cable men connecting wires to houses and no more cable boxes. It'll work with any connected device, from cars to appliances. Every pole will have an antenna and even underground wires will have antennas poking up as needed.

Rick Potter
02-22-2022, 3:06 PM
Another Dino here. If I had to be honest, probably a Slothosaurus.

Perry Hilbert Jr
02-24-2022, 12:57 PM
Facebooks idiot programmers are off the deep end.
1) a member of a tractor group I belong to posted a question about his fuel injection system being blocked. The post was flagged with a False Information about covid notice.
2) a fellow in a muzzle loader group made a statement about a dangerous load in a cheap Belgian muzzle loader. I posted that such a load was dangerous and not to do it unless he wants a trip to the morgue. I was suspended for "bullying"
3) on another post, a fellow said he was advised to do X by his BIL, for his mail order business. I answered that he would be shooting himself in the foot by doing that and explained why. That got me another suspension for "Bullying."
4) On a site about country life and farm doings, I answered a recommended use of a "back ho", accidentally leaving out the letter "e" Yep, that was a violation of community standards. Got me a week off for being politically incorrect.

They are the dumbest idiots around. When you appeal their decision, type out the reason why something was not a violation, bullying etc, after clicking submit, you get a notice that they are swamped and may not have time to review your appeal. I did win one appeal, got the notice 10 days after the suspension was up.

Their programming does seem to come down harder on conservative speech. As a result, in Texas you can sue Facebook if you can prove your conservative speech was censored got you suspended and it doesn't violate their standards. More states need such laws.

Anuj Prateek
02-25-2022, 2:51 AM
I'd ideally love not to have a Smartphone, or have one that actually respects your privacy. But, that's sadly not the way that the world is going...
Maybe one day we'll actually get a functional, quality open source / Linux phone, but my hopes aren't very high.

Android is open source. If you have any of the popular smartphones you will be able to find ROM with privacy focus easily. Graphene OS is one such option.

If you want smartphone with privacy focused OS preinstalled then look at Blackphone, Farephone, Purism, etc. Several such phones are based on Android and are open source. And yes most will not have Google software preinstalled. I forgot but one is based on Debian.

Then there are software that you can install to increase privacy. Company that makes Blackphone has one such software.

Curt Harms
02-25-2022, 8:53 AM

Such a thing is available today but it depends on your phone. Research 3rd party phone firmware (ROMS), it should tell you what phones they work on. LineageOS seem like one of the more popular better supported ones. I doubt you could access Google's Play Store with an aftermarket ROM but I don't know. There are other Android app stores, F-droid is one. I doubt proprietary apps like banking would be available outside Google's Play Store though I don't know for sure, never tried it.