PDA

View Full Version : Another Happy Relative.

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Here is a shot of my latest work done for another Aunt. (It can be both good and bad having large families........they are keeping me busy with boxes!) Small box request to hold odds and ends........whatever that means? :rolleyes: My Mom and Dad both come from families of 10 children, so this may snowball into something almost like work. :D
Oh well, it is fun and the look on their face when they see their little box is worth all the effort. This box is pretty self explanatory.....Walnut, Box Joinery, Yellowheart and Walnut Top. Antique Oil Finish, still waiting to be cured enough to wax. Thanks again for taking a look, it is an honor to be able to share my work with everyone at the Creek! ;)

Halsey MCCombs
07-19-2003, 2:20 PM
Nice job.Question are the legs one part or two parts with a 45. Thanks Halsey

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-19-2003, 2:36 PM
Thanks for the compliment Halsey. The Legs are 2 pieces with a 45. They are glued together and pin nailed to the box carcass on the bottom.

Doug Jones
07-19-2003, 4:37 PM
Another great box Kevin. I never know what design change will be next. It always amazes me each time you post your boxes. Do another one and keep them coming, Good work

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-19-2003, 5:47 PM
Thanks Doug. Usually, the design just pops into my head, and I go with it. Sometimes, I use design elements that I have seen before, or I incorporate an element I like with something different I dream up. This box was just a design that I had in my head for a while, and wanted to see how it looked when complete. I have a Purpleheart and Cherry box underway, and so far I like how it looks. I will post a picture if it when I get it done. Just need to figure out how I want the top and base to look, and finish it up. I appreciate the compliments, thanks for taking a look! :)

Lynn Sonier
07-19-2003, 6:40 PM
Kevin, I'm glad to see someone else who is gung ho about the antique oil and wax finish. I was taught this procedure a couple of years back and hardly ever use anything else. I apply oil and wax with 000 synthetic steel wool and it gives it a really smooth finish. Lately, I have been running the steel wool in between the oil and the wax and it makes it smoother still.
Nice looking box - might borrow your feet trick. You don't have it patented, do you???

Doug Jones
07-19-2003, 7:41 PM
I have a Purpleheart and Cherry box underway, and so far I like how it looks.

Kevin,
How do you buy your wood? Do you get it by bulk or by a strip or two at a time? You seem to have quite an extensive collection of exotic hardwoods.

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-19-2003, 7:43 PM
Thanks Lynn, I appreciate the compliment! Please feel free to borrow whatever ideas you see on my work...............nothing is patented. :D
I really like the Oil and Wax thing myself. It offers protection, but you can still "feel" the wood, which is very important to me, especially on my Boxes, which are made to be handled and closely inspected by their admirerers. (Is that a word?) :rolleyes: I also use the synthetic Steel Wool to buff the oil before waxing, and I apply the wax with the synthetic pad as well. I use the White 3M pads, and they do make the finish smooooooooooth! For my money, nothing brings out the beauty of wood like an Oil Finish. It sure popped the Yellowheart............the pictures don't do it justice, it is absolutely beautiful with the Oil and Wax............very deep, figured, beautiful wood. For anyone who hasn't worked with Yellowheart, you just don't know what you are missing. It is one of my favorites among the "Exotics".

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-19-2003, 7:56 PM
Doug, I buy the Exotic Woods I use from several places. Some I have purchased on Ebay...........I have a couple of sources that sell direct and on Ebay that I use exclusively. I usually buy small amounts, because I mostly use exotic wood for small projects. There are a few sellers on Ebay who do not jack up the shipping and packing fees to make an additional profit on what they sell, and these are the ones I deal with. I also have a few local connections where I am able to get small pieces of Exotic when I need them. I am kind of intrigued by Exotic Wood, and I have probably 15 or so species on hand at any given time. I just like to use colorful, different wood that you don't see everyday for boxes, mostly. I eventually would like to work with every Exotic that is available, just to satisfy my curiousity with wood. I still love Cherry, Maple, and Walnut, but the variety that the Exotics offer keeps me amazed. Some of it is quite challenging to work with, and some of it is nearly impossible, but I have always loved a challenge. Lacewood is my next "Victim", and if it is anything like the Leopardwood I have, it should be beautiful. While I am concerned with cost, it is probably the least determining factor when I am looking for a specific Exotic...........if I like it, I buy it...........within reason, of course. SWMBO still keeps an eye on me! :D

Joe Tonich
07-19-2003, 8:31 PM
Hey Kevin, Wanna ADOPT me???? (I can be the son you never wanted!!! :p ) Lucky Relatives! You do come up with some NICE boxes.

Joe

Bill Esposito
07-19-2003, 10:28 PM
Kevin,

Looks great! You have more artist in you that I do that's for sure.

John Miliunas
07-19-2003, 11:42 PM
Enough already! All's I can say is, it's a dern good thang my wife doesn't cruise out to this forum, else all I'd be hearing is, "Why can't *you* make one of them boxes like Kevin always does?!" Sheeesh...A guy gets a bunch of neat tools in his shop and right away it's, "Can you build (insert project here) for me?"

Hey seriously, Kevin, beautiful job, as usual! Oh, and please, keep posting your work. It's inspirational! :cool:

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-20-2003, 8:20 AM
I have built several small boxes for SWMBO, and she loves them! (How else do you think I get to buy tools and expensive lumber?) You gotta take care of Momma first! Building Decorative Boxes does wonders for your Woodworking Skills. Because boxes like these are small, people tend to pick them up and inspect them closely, inside and out. The fit and finish have to be right, or it will stick out like a sore thumb. Small boxes will teach you patience and attention to detail, which will carry over into other larger projects. It is also a good way to practice joinery techniques, experiment with different edge profiles, and keep your attention on safety............working with small parts safely is paramount. When my Dad and Uncle got me started in Woodworking, they had me building small things first..........which drove me nuts, I wanted to build BIG things, but now I know why they did it. It was to teach me safety, attention to detail, and how to be creative and think "Outside the Box", pardon the pun! Truth be told, I would rather build small pieces now that the larger stuff...........it allows you to be so much more creative. Thanks for the compliments, I will have a few more to show shortly. :)