PDA

View Full Version : Using epoxy on the inside cutout of a wooden countertop / undermount sink

andrew whicker
02-15-2022, 5:38 PM
Hi,

I asked this question a long time ago and it's getting close to the time when I have to make a move. Looking for how to apply epoxy to the inside of an undermount sink cutout. I don't use epoxy very often. Can I simply brush it onto the edge?

Thanks and cheers,

Jamie Buxton
02-15-2022, 6:31 PM
There are epoxies which you can brush. West Systems 105 ( plus hardener) is one, but there are other brands.

I’d also seal the underside of the counter near the sink and faucet holes.

Thicker films are more water resistant than thin ones. That is, several coats would be good.

Frank Pratt
02-15-2022, 7:26 PM
I've done this on 3 wooden counters with undermount sinks. West Systems (can't remember which hardener) is quite thin, not watery, but plenty runny, works very well for this. Take several minutes to warm up the wood around the cut out then keep brushing on the epoxy for as long as it will absorb. The end grain will take many minutes of brushing before it's saturated. A few inches surrounding the cutout underneath should also be given a good coat. All 3 tops remain free of cracks, stains or pealing after 4-6 years and I have no reason to believe they won't last many more years without maintenance. I wouldn't hesitate to do another that way.

The only special care they get is to ensure that spills don't sit for hours on end before cleaning up.

andrew whicker
02-15-2022, 7:38 PM
Thanks much.

What did you sand the end grain to? I am using Sapele.

Frank Pratt
02-16-2022, 9:42 AM
Thanks much.

What did you sand the end grain to? I am using Sapele.

Probably 150 or maybe 180. You definitely don't want to go too fine.

David Zaret
02-16-2022, 9:54 AM
i've done this multiple times, with 8/4 sapele for undermount sinks on countertops. sand the opening (i think i sanded to 180), use a brush and slow-set west systems (or fast set, if you're up for it) and soak the inside and underside grain thoroughly. keep applying the epoxy as the wood end grain soaks it in. let it cure, and do it again if you wish (i only did one coat). sand it back again, and then use your topcoat. Waterlox sealer is unbelievably beautiful and durable on sapele. happy to show pics of my sapele counters if that helps.

andrew whicker
02-16-2022, 12:36 PM
i've done this multiple times, with 8/4 sapele for undermount sinks on countertops. sand the opening (i think i sanded to 180), use a brush and slow-set west systems (or fast set, if you're up for it) and soak the inside and underside grain thoroughly. keep applying the epoxy as the wood end grain soaks it in. let it cure, and do it again if you wish (i only did one coat). sand it back again, and then use your topcoat. Waterlox sealer is unbelievably beautiful and durable on sapele. happy to show pics of my sapele counters if that helps.

Yeah, please do!

Thanks everyone for the advice.