PDA

View Full Version : Multiple chip separators in DC system

John Fairbairn III
02-15-2022, 11:05 AM
Hi all,
Forgive me if I missed it but I didn't have any luck searching. I had an idea that I though MIGHT make sense - but as an old friend used to say about new ideas, "Maybe I should keep it to myself in case I don't get another one..."

I have a 1.5HP dust collector connected immediately to a 50-gallon drum I made into a dust separator connected to about 50ft of 4" pipe. Probably more than 50ft really, but it gives you an idea. The planer and jointer are 30-ft from the separator. Just the way my shop is set up, I am not changing it again... Oy.... So I thought, why not have two separators. One at the DC like I have already. And then a second one right at the planer. Why???????????? Well, because the new planer is a 20" and produces a LOT of chips - everything else just produces dust. And I can't help but think that a separator right there will help me avoid overloading the main separator. I hate changing out the bag on the DC - so when I mess up and overfill the separator, I hate myself. :mad:

Main question --- will the use of a 2nd separator cause a major loss of suction to the whole system? I would likely dedicate it to the planer and the blast gate would be on the DC side of the 2nd separator to it would be isolated (meaning that the 2nd separator only engages with the planer is in use). Also, I have chickens so they would be getting really nice shavings from this new separator instead of the mixture of dust and shavings right now :)

thanks for your time.

Alan Schwabacher
02-15-2022, 11:47 AM
Yes it will decrease suction, but as you note, only while using the planer. It sounds worth trying. While lower flow wouldn't get all the tiny particles that you want to avoid breathing, planer shavings are easier to collect.

Ron Selzer
02-15-2022, 12:05 PM
Sounds like worth a try
Report back after trying

Richard Coers
02-15-2022, 12:25 PM
You have more problems than the separators. 30' of 4" duct for a 20" planer is grossly undersized, as well as a 1.5hp dust collector. Depending of course what the true power of that dust collector really is. Hp is a horrible way to rate a dust collector, and at that size they usually are overrated. How many elbows and flex tubing? 1' or flex has the resistance of 10' of straight and each elbow is something like 5' if I remember correctly. You should have a minimum of 6" duct and at least double the collector size. If you run some 20" wide poplar in that planer, you'll quickly see what I mean.

John Fairbairn III
02-15-2022, 12:41 PM
You have more problems than the separators. 30' of 4" duct for a 20" planer is grossly undersized, as well as a 1.5hp dust collector. Depending of course what the true power of that dust collector really is. Hp is a horrible way to rate a dust collector, and at that size they usually are overrated. How many elbows and flex tubing? 1' or flex has the resistance of 10' of straight and each elbow is something like 5' if I remember correctly. You should have a minimum of 6" duct and at least double the collector size. If you run some 20" wide poplar in that planer, you'll quickly see what I mean.

I am sure you are right. As I recall, the DC is a 1100CFM with the canister filter. To be clear, I am a solo hobbyist that stumbled on a great deal for a 20" planer. I will not be running a lot of 20" material through it, and certainly not on major production runs. I ran a 17" glue up 10' long through it over the weekend - I loved the results but I am sure that the DC was working hard to clear the chips. It is interesting that Powermatic's own hood is a 5" port, instead of a 6...
I appreciate your input.

Richard Coers
02-15-2022, 1:54 PM
I've always kept the chip makers, jointer, planer, and shaper in close proximity to the collector and the longer runs for just the dust makers. For 10-15', 5" is fine. You really need the high velocity of the air to carry chips.

mreza Salav
02-15-2022, 2:45 PM
I used to have a 1.5HP DC as well (changed to a cyclone 10 years ago).
You have too long of a hose and too narrow (4" is small!) and you shouldn't use anything longer than 10' on that DC really. It drops the suction significantly.
Each separator reduces suction. I would avoid having one if possible, definitely would not add a second one.

John Fairbairn III
02-15-2022, 4:38 PM
I used to have a 1.5HP DC as well (changed to a cyclone 10 years ago).
You have too long of a hose and too narrow (4" is small!) and you shouldn't use anything longer than 10' on that DC really. It drops the suction significantly.
Each separator reduces suction. I would avoid having one if possible, definitely would not add a second one.

With respect, I am not looking to create a perfect system. I understand, for sure, that 4" pipe is not ideal. And there are various aspects of my system that true dust collection aficionados would balk at. But I was willing to sacrifice some efficiency to have my system laid out the way I wanted it in the space.
Someday I will follow you to the cyclone. Someday.

Kevin Jenness
02-15-2022, 5:38 PM
If it works well enough now, don't fix it. Another separator will decrease the performance on what appears to be an undersized system. If you have room for another separator in the center of the shop, why not just put the dust collector there?