PDA

View Full Version : All Wooden Door Catch Ideas Wanted

Tom Bender
02-14-2022, 6:30 PM
I'm looking for an idea here, for a cabinet door catch that's all wood and not visible, or at least not very visible.

One I've seen involves putting your finger thru a hole and moving a bar inside the cabinet. That'll work but I'm open to others.

Joe A Faulkner
02-14-2022, 8:53 PM
Your request has me curious about the project in question. What type of door, inset, overlay? I've used what Rockler calls "snap closing" knife hinges that incorporate a simple spring to hold the door closed. The ones I've used are for overlay door applications.

Walter Plummer
02-14-2022, 10:44 PM
James Krenov used a wooden latch in some of his cabinets. There is a photo and description in his book "A Cabinetmaker's Notebook" on page 41. No dimensions, I am guessing it to be 1/2" wide x 1 1/2" deep with a screw in the center. A spring is mortised under the front. The front edge is beveled so the door will close under it and the spring holds tension down on the door. Sort of a wooden version of a ball catch. Hope my description makes sense, maybe you can get a copy at the library to see the photo.

Jim Koepke
02-14-2022, 11:00 PM
Is a knob on the front of the door too visible?

A knob with a through base can have a dowel on it that falls into a mortise on the frame and retracts into a mortise in the door by turning the knob.

jtk

Tom Bender
02-15-2022, 7:41 AM
This is a tool cabinet for an apartment woodworker, which may be me in the future. It will have seven drawers plus 3 shelves behind an inset door. While it will use conventional hinges and modern drawer slides I am trying for a more timeless vibe where it makes sense.

A wooden ball catch inspires some interesting options.

So do spring hinges, but a door that won't stay open isn't going to work.

A hidden deadbolt with a knob seems good. It could have two gravity detents. It will need to stay closed without rattling. Adding a spring or magnet might be ok, and a metal bolt may be ok also.