PDA

View Full Version : Shop stool recommendations

Mitch schiffer
02-13-2022, 6:41 PM
What is everyone using for shop stools? I used a computer chair for a long time but its pretty wore out at this point. I bought a couple southbend ones when they were on sale and I find them to be too high and not comfortable, so then I bought a couple powermatic ones and they are no more comfortable. Im looking for a comfortable, adjustable stool, that swivels without a back.

Jim Becker
02-13-2022, 7:53 PM
I have an el-cheapo unfinished (at least when it was acquired) wooden stool I bought many years ago. It has a lot of finish on it now as it's occasionally been used to support something small while spraying. LOL Mine is not adjustable, however, nor does it swivel.

Jack Frederick
02-13-2022, 11:26 PM
I, after a fall off my junky stool, bought a Vyper. Pricey, but excellent chair

Kris Cook
02-13-2022, 11:48 PM
I have a solid wood (I think oak) swivel bar chair with back I got at a second-hand store and put a cushion on it. I think I paid $25

Michael Schuch
02-13-2022, 11:55 PM
I have a pretty short metal high school science lab stool I picked up about 20 years ago and a tall cherry drafting school that I made in high school.

Mel Fulks
02-14-2022, 12:23 AM
The old office things are what I like. Have one with swivel padded seat and cast aluminum back , excellent rollers . One foot push on the
concrete and I’m at the other end of garage.

Alan Lightstone
02-14-2022, 8:05 AM
I have a Vyper. Pricey, and I don't use it as much as I probably should, but it's nice.

Lee Schierer
02-14-2022, 8:26 AM
I built this stool from "Wood" magazine a number of years ago.
I don't spend a lot of time sitting in my shop so it has seen more use as a shop helper than it has for sitting. The center portion of the seat can be height adjusted to help support pieces that are wider or longer than my saw table. I have a 4 foot sled that I use on the left side of my table that will fall off the table unless it is supported by the stool.

Mitch schiffer
02-14-2022, 8:30 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I will get a vyper. It has been expensive to buy 5 stools that I don't like so I'm willing to splurge a little.

Rob Luter
02-14-2022, 8:55 AM
I went with a stool from a music store designed for guitar players. See image below for something very similar. It's comfy and swivels. I took an inch off each leg to get the height perfect for my bench.

https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/f-webp__q-82__ha-6f668073d2c34de3__hmac-89cc3ee2aff35da28e09f351029a5f412f652e73/images/items/750/TRSOK-large.jpg.auto.webp

John K Jordan
02-14-2022, 9:58 AM
What is everyone using for shop stools?..,

I think we all have different seating needs depending on the size and layout of the shop (mine is 24x62 with 4 rooms), the tools and machines we use, and the things we do. More of my shop time is standing than sitting.

But since you asked everyone, I keep 7 stools, two folding chairs, and an office chair in my shop. Some are wooden stools with of different heights since activities at different places benefit from different heights. None have rotating seats since I can easily rotate an needed on the smooth, finished seat. The tall stools do double duty as support surfaces when processing woodturning blames on the bandsaw. One is a fairly high folding stool with a wooden seat and back support fot times when my back benefits. One is a low mechanic’s stool with padded seat, casters, and a tool tray underneath. when The folding chairs are nice when seated for extended times when carving, sanding by hand, reading, sketching, working at the microscopes, or for visitors who need back support. Sometimes all or most of the stools and chairs are in use for a demonstration or class (in non-pandemic times).

BTW, I built my shop with a small office and use and extremely comfortable Aeron office chair for computer work, reading, studying, or things like video editing and 3d printing. It’s over 20 years old and still my favorite chair.

Again, everyone’s need may be different.

JKJ

David M Peters
02-14-2022, 10:28 AM
I use this adjustable drafting chair, the range of motion lets it double as a chair or stool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039MIMRE

John K Jordan
02-14-2022, 10:13 PM
I built this stool from "Wood" magazine a number of years ago.
I don't spend a lot of time sitting in my shop so it has seen more use as a shop helper than it has for sitting. The center portion of the seat can be height adjusted to help support pieces that are wider or longer than my saw table. ...

What a clever idea! One reason I like wooden stools (sturdy hardwood with flat tops that don't swivel and NO casters!) is I also use them a lot for helping surfaces. I use them as small worktables, a digital scale stand carried to wood storage racks to track weight changes on drying turning blanks, to hold a coffee can with Anchorseal when cutting turning blanks on the bandsaw, to stack blanks freshly cut from logs, to set manuals and reference books, a nice side table to hold accessories I don't want to put on my work surface, even use the short one sometimes as a step stool. Two, one shorter than the other, make a nice seat and workbench for detail on miniatures or chip carving.

I bought all of mine at yard sales, usually about $5 each.

BTW, maybe a stool with casters would be OK if I kept the shop floor meticulously clean, but otherwise the least little bit of wood chips or somesuch makes them difficult to roll around.

JKJ

roger wiegand
02-15-2022, 8:36 AM
I use what I think of as a "lab stool", a tall, highly adjustable chair with a back on rollers. I find I need a different height for different operations and for different work surfaces in my shop so a stool that goes up and down to accommodate that is important to me. Being able to adjust all of the other usual office chair type parameters just makes it comfortable.

George Yetka
02-15-2022, 8:50 AM
I have an el-cheapo unfinished (at least when it was acquired) wooden stool I bought many years ago. It has a lot of finish on it now as it's occasionally been used to support something small while spraying. LOL Mine is not adjustable, however, nor does it swivel.

You have plenty of implements of destruction that could adjust the height shorter easily. Taller is a bit harder.

I dont have a seat best I have is a short ladder I can sit on

Ole Anderson
02-15-2022, 9:50 AM
I have a simple pneumatic version I believe was from Sears years ago. Adjustable from 17"-24". Soft. but no covering to tear. No rollers which I prefer for this application. Works well for me as I do a lot of work at my low assembly table.

Jim Becker
02-15-2022, 9:57 AM
You have plenty of implements of destruction that could adjust the height shorter easily. Taller is a bit harder.

I dont have a seat best I have is a short ladder I can sit on
I actually have a normal height chair in the shop, too...I use that when I put my main bench down to the lowest level...desk height sorta...and that's very comfortable for detail work. But you are correct, I could adjust the height of the stool, although it would only be practical in one direction. :)

Jack Frederick
02-15-2022, 11:21 AM
I have the high Vyper. The one thing about it is that it rolls very easily. So easily in fact that when I sit, I always make sure it is still there;) I’m thinking of ordering the fixed feet for it as I have found the chair is rarely 10’ from the bench I mostly use so the mobility is not as important.

Derek Meyer
02-15-2022, 6:51 PM
I bought the cheap Harbor Freight one. It works, but isn't very comfortable.

I looked at the Dewalt one, but for the price (~$150), I think I would rather buy a drafting chair with a back and adjustments. I have a couple in my office at work and they are good chairs. Plus, they are rated to 300 pounds, which is good because I am a big guy.

Maurice Mcmurry
02-15-2022, 7:25 PM
I like modern ones. I have never had a new one. They get more important every day.

Bill Dufour
02-16-2022, 12:32 AM
The horrible fright one just got recalled for breaking off at the post. I use an adult shower chair which is adjustable height. Cheap at garage sales and thrift stores.
Bill D.

Maurice Mcmurry
02-18-2022, 10:06 PM
Bill, That shower chair with those handles on the side looks like it would be easy to keep under ones rear end, and light enough to scoot around on. Sometimes when I need to push or pull on a tool wheels are not helpful.

Jack Frederick
02-19-2022, 2:14 PM
Your post has gotten me back into the Vyper site. I see they no longer offer the “fixed” feet for the chairs, but have locking casters. In their own description of the locking casters they say that their chairs “rolls TO easily”. That is true and while it is an excellent seat, it can really disappear on you.. I would strongly suggest you get a pair of them. I have just ordered a pair for my chair. Perhaps they include a set in the New product sale. I would try to get them on the original order

Mitch schiffer
02-20-2022, 3:45 AM
They must have a heck of a marketing budget. I went to there website last week and now every site im on seems to have vyper ads.

Kyle Stiefel
02-20-2022, 4:17 PM
I have 2, 1 old and 1 much newer that I got a great price on over holiday season. The new one gives me higher seating at bench etc if desired.

Roger Feeley
02-23-2022, 8:46 PM
I have too many stool and chairs

I have an old dental stool from my dad. It’s the same as the link below except I recovered mine in deer hide.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154609931324?hash=item23ff78543c:g:C40AAOSwrQlhP7s 7

I have two antique oak swivel chairs. I got one from the attic of a 1920’s era elementary school. I got the other from someone’s trash. An arm was broken but easy to fix.

I have a modern drafting stool from when my company was acquired and shut down.

I have two office swivel chairs.

I need to thin the herd.

Rick Potter
02-25-2022, 2:17 AM
I have a Colonial style turned leg wooden stool with a short back. Seat is about two inch's thick, and I cut the legs down about 4" to get it at the right height for my workbench. Picked it up somewhere for free(?). After 20 years or so, I treated it to a new lazy Susan swivel. I love the short back it has.

I also have a couple old office chairs that sit lower, my favorite being one from late 40's or so, that is all steel, and looks like it served in WWII. Only four legs on that one.