PDA

View Full Version : Front Door redo

Matthew Hills
02-13-2022, 11:20 AM
New fiberglass door just painted with benjamin moore's grand entrance came out pretty rough. I'm not sure exacty what happened, but I'm guessing the painter tried to get the 2nd coat on the same day (weather was in 60's and not too humid and had same effect on exterior and interior).

Questions:
does that diagnosis sound right?
what is best approach to redoing? (try to sand off now? wait a week then sand to smooth and recoat? chemical stripper? )

Thanks,
Matt

John TenEyck
02-13-2022, 2:43 PM
How was it applied?

John

Matthew Hills
02-13-2022, 2:53 PM
How was it applied?

I think roll then tip is the most common, but I didn't see it in this case.
What effects are you thinking of?

And is it feasible to start the rework before fully curing and sanding?

Matt

Maurice Mcmurry
02-13-2022, 7:47 PM
That looks like roll, no tip. I do not use waterborne urethane.

John TenEyck
02-13-2022, 7:56 PM
I agree; it looks like it was simply rolled on. OK, it needs to be sanded back flat, or stripped and start anew. Spraying would give the best finish, but if that's not possible then a foam or fine nap roller should give a good surface. You may need to add some Extender (BM makes one for WB paints), and or thin it, to get it to flow out to a smooth finish.

Check the product data sheet about recoat times. With some products you can add a new coat within 24 or 48 hours OR you have to wait a week or ?. Know before you go.

John

Tom Bender
02-22-2022, 12:26 PM
When I refinished my front and back doors I took the extra steps to install temporary closures and work on the doors flat in my shop. Took a few days to do it right.