PDA

View Full Version : New Power Feeder for Router Table & Table Saw

David Buchhauser
02-13-2022, 12:14 AM
I have been using this neat little power feeder on my router table for over a year now and it really works great! It was designed and built by a fellow SMC member (Al Ladd) and is available in either kit form or finished and ready to use. The one I have been using I build from one of his kits - it's powered by a DC drill motor - and I like to use my Milwaukee 18V cordless drill to power mine.

I just discovered that Al has a new demo video on Youtube and I just thought that some of you might have some interest. I also seem to remember seeing a review in Fine Woodworking a while back. I had fun putting it together and it is a neat accessory for my router table to help me obtain nice smooth cuts.

David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGyMs_9estA

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGyMs_9estA)

Rod Sheridan
02-13-2022, 8:52 AM
473802Neat, thanks for posting.

I like using a feeder on the saw.

As you said, really smooth cuts….Regards, Rod

mreza Salav
02-13-2022, 1:47 PM
That's a cool design and seems to work.
I have used my power feeder on rouer table, shaper, jointer,bandsaw and it's really a work horse especially when dealing with many boards.

Carl Beckett
02-13-2022, 3:56 PM
I just picked up a used Delta 36-865 last week. It has been over due to get a feeder.

We will see how it goes, I would like to use it on not only the shaper but also the router table and the tablesaw. Possibly the bandsaw I guess (never thought of that)

Its a little one so I dont know how well it will work. At one time rockler was selling them for $99 clearance, although currently used ones seem to be in the $300 range. I plan to put a magnetic mount on it to be able to move it easily.

This is a nice home made one, several versions on youtube - this one looks well thought through.

Warren Lake
02-13-2022, 4:37 PM
cant see the home made thing.

You plan on mounting a power feed with a magnet? that will go south as soon as the feeder moves and ends up in the cutter head.

Alan Lightstone
02-14-2022, 8:02 AM
My question on power feeders, is how do you mount them? I have a power feeder that I purchased a few years ago, but once I installed the Ready2Rout system, there was no place to mount it. Plus it is very heavy, so that mount had to be very secure/beefy.

I can't figure out where I could mount it and use it on my SawStop ICS, or my Router table. I could probably make it work for the jointer, but I don't think its real use should be there.

I've been too busy to get around to selling it, which is what I've been telling myself I would do, but it would be really nice to have a power feeder on the router table especially.

Jared Sankovich
02-14-2022, 9:19 AM
My question on power feeders, is how do you mount them? I have a power feeder that I purchased a few years ago, but once I installed the Ready2Rout system, there was no place to mount it. Plus it is very heavy, so that mount had to be very secure/beefy.

I can't figure out where I could mount it and use it on my SawStop ICS, or my Router table. I could probably make it work for the jointer, but I don't think its real use should be there.

I've been too busy to get around to selling it, which is what I've been telling myself I would do, but it would be really nice to have a power feeder on the router table especially.

Feeders are normally mounted to the table/top. Ideally a machine comes drilled and tapped for the feeder already.

al ladd
02-14-2022, 9:27 AM
See response in Lumberyard section of forum.

Charles Coolidge
02-14-2022, 9:36 AM
Been thinking about a power feeder for safety. Looked up the 1hp Powermatic just now, wow $1,669??????

Patrick Varley
02-14-2022, 10:05 AM

There was an interesting video last year about someone using some Magswitch's, and they were apparently selling a kit. Not sure if it's still available. 1000lb of holding force seems like it should be enough.

https://youtu.be/VPGAwkq4VSc

Curt Harms
02-14-2022, 10:18 AM
I've thought about a feeder for a router table mostly but am put off by the weight. It seems like it'd take a pretty stout router table to support one. The 1/4 h.p. Grizzly weighs 79 lbs. A fair percentage of that weight seems to be cantilevered. The baby power feeder - 1/8 h.p. - weighs 27 lbs. which seems more doable but I've read that the baby feeders are not worth having, too light and too underpowered.

mreza Salav
02-14-2022, 11:32 AM

Shaper, router table, J/P, bandsaw,....
Have a 3/8" thick plate to which the feeder is bolted and use Bessey clamps to secure it to table and move from machine to machine.

David Buchhauser
02-15-2022, 1:23 AM
cant see the home made thing.

You plan on mounting a power feed with a magnet? that will go south as soon as the feeder moves and ends up in the cutter head.

No magnet! It firmly attaches to table back fence.
David

David Buchhauser
02-15-2022, 1:25 AM
See response in Lumberyard section of forum.

Al - please post the link to the post you are referring to.
Thanks,
David

David Buchhauser
02-15-2022, 1:26 AM
I've thought about a feeder for a router table mostly but am put off by the weight. It seems like it'd take a pretty stout router table to support one. The 1/4 h.p. Grizzly weighs 79 lbs. A fair percentage of that weight seems to be cantilevered. The baby power feeder - 1/8 h.p. - weighs 27 lbs. which seems more doable but I've read that the baby feeders are not worth having, too light and too underpowered.

Curt - this power feeder is pretty light in weight and has amazing power for feeding thru my router table. It is very simple to mount and adjust, and the price is right!
David

Terry Therneau
02-15-2022, 6:50 AM
I had a baby power feeder that I got used. The wheels had turned to gum and it was worthless; then I had them redone by western roller and it was a different machine. I found it very worthwhile on my Delta HD shaper. But when I changed to a Felder saw/shaper the arm simply was not long enough to reach over the shaper hood, from any sensible mounting spot. It was also a challenge to set up until I learned the trick: the wheels stick out below the shroud. Set the feeder so that the shroud is sitting on the wood to be used (one piece fore and another aft, so that it's level), then tighten all the adjustment clamps.

al ladd
02-15-2022, 8:01 AM
Al - please post the link to the post you are referring to.
Thanks,
David
Hi David, not sure if this will show to any but members here, as Lumberyard is visible to members only:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?296451-Some-details-on-the-Little-Proteus-power-feeder-from-recent-Power-Tool-thread

Fence mounting makes for a whole different ease of installation. Feed speeds down to 2-3 fpm and small physical size allow use for resawing on small band saws.

There is precedent for fence mounting feeders: the Rockwell Unifeeder and the King E-Z Safety Feed. But both of these used conventional high RPM motors with tortuous gear and chain speed reduction, so they were heavy and bulky.

David Buchhauser
02-15-2022, 3:14 PM
Hi David, not sure if this will show to any but members here, as Lumberyard is visible to members only:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?296451-Some-details-on-the-Little-Proteus-power-feeder-from-recent-Power-Tool-thread

Fence mounting makes for a whole different ease of installation. Feed speeds down to 2-3 fpm and small physical size allow use for resawing on small band saws.

There is precedent for fence mounting feeders: the Rockwell Unifeeder and the King E-Z Safety Feed. But both of these used conventional high RPM motors with tortuous gear and chain speed reduction, so they were heavy and bulky.

Al - I think you should do an entire video just showing and explaining the different techniques you use for mounting your power feeder to the various shop tools - table saw, router table, band saw, etc. Also maybe post some photos here so others can see how simple and easy it is to mount. I use mine basically for my router table and mount to back fence. Really quick and easy to install or remove. Also very easy to adjust.
David

Bert McMahan
02-15-2022, 4:32 PM
Wow, that's really cool. Thanks for sharing. I think I'll get the $20 kit. I don't have a CNC machine but I do have multiple 3D printers and I bet most of that would work just fine in plastic. I can even modify it a bit to use some old motors I have that aren't in a drill.

David Buchhauser
02-15-2022, 6:43 PM
Good deal Bert!! That is a great idea about the 3D printing for some of the parts. I will look forward to seeing what you come up with.
David

Curt Harms
02-16-2022, 11:12 AM
Curt - this power feeder is pretty light in weight and has amazing power for feeding thru my router table. It is very simple to mount and adjust, and the price is right!
David

Interesting David, thank you. For what I do I think a router table would be my only use. I may have to put one on my shopping list.

Keith Outten
02-16-2022, 12:12 PM
I wonder why someone has not offered a power feeder with a built-in electro magnet like the ones used in Mag Drills?

Rod Sheridan
02-16-2022, 12:54 PM
I wonder why someone has not offered a power feeder with a built-in electro magnet like the ones used in Mag Drills?

I presume because they would fall over or off the machine if there was a power failure.

The other issue is force, a mag base drill is putting the force downwards a couple of inches from the magnet, a stock feeder is putting the force down a couple of feet away.

Regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
02-16-2022, 12:56 PM
I’m too lazy to move my feeder, it’s mounted on the saw/shaper, I just swing it around off the back of the saw and move the jointer under it.

Regards, Rod.

Alan Lightstone
02-16-2022, 6:02 PM
I’m too lazy to move my feeder, it’s mounted on the saw/shaper, I just swing it around off the back of the saw and move the jointer under it.

Regards, Rod.

I wish I could just move the jointer under it. Or router table. All are stationary.

Even the 1/2HP CoMatic Junior Power Feeder I have is a still a beast, with the extension arms, mounting plate, etc... It weighs 73 lbs.

Kevin Jenness
02-16-2022, 6:35 PM
When I have to move my (full size ) feeder I pull the head off the stand and move them separately. We used to have a feeder on a tablesaw that when unbolted could crawl under power to a shelf flush with the right side of the saw table.

Mike Kees
02-18-2022, 10:22 PM
The first power feeder I bought was in a deal with a bunch of other stationary tools. Guy had built a wooden base with plywood and 2x4's with casters under it so he could use the feeder on his shaper and TS as well as jointer. He just made the feeder mobile ,said it worked great. I never tried it that way, just installed it on my shaper and never looked back.