PDA

View Full Version : Wixley on Performax 25-2

CPeter James
01-17-2006, 9:38 PM
I finally broke down am picked a Wixey DTO for my Performax 25-2. I installed using some 3" aluminum angle stock that I had left over from another project. It came out pretty good, but I am a little disappointed in that the DRO only reads out in .005" increments. I guess that I will learn to live with it.

Michael Ballent
01-17-2006, 10:23 PM
I am surprised the resolution is .005 Not that it's a lot, but it still could throw somethings off especially on a planer when you expect something to be say 3/4" and it's off by a little, so you need to add a little shim to the dado set. Have you sanded something and measured the result compared to what the DRO says? I would be interested in that.

Nice installation BTW :D Looks clean. I have been considering the install on my Makita, but I would like to have some more field reports.

John Miliunas
01-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Great install, CPeter! I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm really impressed with the functionality of the Wixey pieces! I too am planning on installing one on my Delta drum sander. Nice job!!!:) :cool:

J.R. Rutter
01-18-2006, 12:59 AM
I put one on my 20" planer today. Very similar setup to the General planer example on the Wixey site. Ditto the .005" resolution. I used to have a 2" range dial indicator on this planer and got used to the accuracy. Not that wood stays that thickness for long, but at least all the parts match up consistently for assemblies. But the digital gauge is much easier for helpers to read. I had a guy a while back who had a tough time reading the dial(!) I'm gonna put one on my big sander when I have the chance. Maybe the shaper as well, but the resolution may be more of an issue there.

Mike Wenzloff
01-18-2006, 1:10 AM
Maybe I am ignorant here--I do mostly use handtools and work barefoot in the summer <--just teasing on the last part. mostly--but I consider working to 1/128 of an inch, which is what I shoot for in fine cabinets, pretty much close enough.

That works out to be a little over 50% greater than the .005" of resolution of that DRO.

So please excuse the question, but what do you work on that the moisture from your hands can cause swelling of the edge of a board in excess of .005" and would cause a fit problem?

Just curious.

Thank you, Mike

Michael Ballent
01-18-2006, 3:06 AM
Well when I am planing wood on the planer I measure the boards and try to get them spot on 3/4" or as close as I can... The all the measurements just begin to fall into place... so I am severly lacking in the hand tool side of the world, it's not as easy for me to get that tenon right on, short of resorting to the tried and true method sand paper... so for me .005 just bugs because I am used to measuring to .001 I know its retentive, but that is just me... also it's probably because I know that it is possible to measure to .001.

I am sure that it was a cost to benefit analysis on Wixey's part to get the measurement resolution at .005...

Maybe I am ignorant here--I do mostly use handtools and work barefoot in the summer <--just teasing on the last part. mostly--but I consider working to 1/128 of an inch, which is what I shoot for in fine cabinets, pretty much close enough.

That works out to be a little over 50% greater than the .005" of resolution of that DRO.

So please excuse the question, but what do you work on that the moisture from your hands can cause swelling of the edge of a board in excess of .005" and would cause a fit problem?

Just curious.

Thank you, Mike

Perry Holbrook
01-18-2006, 6:22 AM
I like the idea of DRO's, got one on my DP. I use a digital caliper to check thickness out of my 22/44. If you measure after the first pass and then make another pass and then another, without moving the height wheel, you will see that you continue to reduce the thickness with each pass. As a matter of fact, I use this as an advantage when sizing a miter shim.

With the DRO, if you want an exact thickness, do you caliberate to the first pass, second, third ?

Perry

Jim Becker
01-18-2006, 10:57 AM
If you need a more refined resolution, there are other DROs available...but the cost is higher.

Ed Kowaski
01-18-2006, 2:40 PM
Hey J.R. That sure is a sweet install on that General on the wixey site! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Enjoy your DRO!

oops that was img not url

Barry Wixey
01-19-2006, 4:11 PM
Hey Guys:

This is an interesting discussion on the resolution. Believe it or not the cost might have even been less to make it .001" instead of .005"! We went to a lot of trouble to tweek it up to .005". The logic: lets say you try to set the readout at .749". First, cranking the head to try to move .001" increments is tough, then if you do get it to hit .749", when you lock the headlock it jumps .001" or so, finally when you run the board the cutter head lifts ( cause of snipe usually) and the dispaly jumps another .001" or so. Then to top it all off someone just might measure the board with a digital caliper and find the board is actually .752" thick! I think we might be hearing about that one.

Anyway, that was the logic but I am all ears. Should we just not think so hard and make the resolution .001"?

I would love to hear what you think.

Barry

Michael Ballent
01-19-2006, 4:36 PM
You know, after I discovered that the Wixey would go to .005 resolution I started to research around and discovered that the folks in the machining side of the world are using the Chinese digital calipers and attaching them to their machines... .001 to .0005 resolution on those... Of course they can machine the parts to attach to their mills. But it is intreguing thought...

Scott Coffelt
01-19-2006, 5:27 PM
So Barry, I had heard it was not a good idea to put these on drum sanders due to static, but with the above install it resurfaces my desire to do just that to my Ryobi WDS1600. What have you found from testing if any on the issues that can or may arrise or may not arise with drum sanders.

Jay T. Marlin
01-19-2006, 5:51 PM
I'm a bit confused as to why you'd want a DRO on a drum sander? Aren't these machines operated by feel anyway? It's different story on a 20hp widebelt, but on these 5hp or smaller drum sanders, set the drum too low and you'll tear off all the sandpaper. BTDT.

Jim Becker
01-19-2006, 6:03 PM
Anyway, that was the logic but I am all ears. Should we just not think so hard and make the resolution .001"?

For a planer or similar device, the .005 is likely just fine. But for a drum sander... .001 is gonna be better as folks often like to sneak up on a thickness for certain things like thin veneers or other delicate materials. At least in my mind...which is always somewhat suspect... ;) :p

Barry Wixey
01-19-2006, 6:37 PM
So Barry, I had heard it was not a good idea to put these on drum sanders due to static, but with the above install it resurfaces my desire to do just that to my Ryobi WDS1600. What have you found from testing if any on the issues that can or may arrise or may not arise with drum sanders.

Scott: A lot of people have put these on drum sanders and I have not heard of any issues yet ( and I do seem to hear of most issues it seems) My experience though tells me that a static discharge too near these types of readouts can cause them to turn off and reset to zero. I have not seen static cause permanent damage. For some reason ( which I can't explain) this particular design readout has not exhibited the static problems I experienced in the past.

Wait! maybe I know why.........back to the lab!!!

John Miliunas
01-19-2006, 6:51 PM
For a planer or similar device, the .005 is likely just fine. But for a drum sander... .001 is gonna be better as folks often like to sneak up on a thickness for certain things like thin veneers or other delicate materials. At least in my mind...which is always somewhat suspect... ;) :p

Hey Jim, I just noticed you very recently surpassed the 12K mark!!! Whew...That's a LOT of peckin'!!! :D Thanks for the tons of useful info you've passed along to many! :)

As for the precision of the DRO, here's my take on it: First of all, I see even .005 as being far more accurate than I'd be able to "see" via the linear scale of these machines or by eye. And speaking of "by eye", that's one of the main reasons I love them so much. My eyesight just ain't what it used to be and the DRO really helps. (Although I'd love to see a 10 or 15 sec. timed back-light on them! :) ) But, having said that, personally, my MAIN reason for the DRO's is repeatability. Particularly on planers, I don't believe I've ever seen a scale which has any correction for parallax and, if you view the scale from more than one absolute positive position, you're going to get different reads on it. A non-issue with a DRO. Same goes for the TS or even the drum sander. If I'm trying to "sneak up" on a thickness on the drum sander, which is going to be so very, very critical, I'll still use a caliper for the final measurement, regardless of what method I'm using at the front end. Actually, same thing goes on the planer. If indeed I'm going to be concerned with a .001 tolerance, I'll still be measuring with calipers at the output end of things. For me, however, if my entire project ends up within a .005 tolerance throughout, I'd be doing a jig on my TS! :) (And NO, that's never been witnessed to this point!:D ) I agree that with a closer tolerance at the front end, it stands to reason that the final product should be truer, as well. But, this is wood, after all! :) :cool:

Bob Winkler
01-19-2006, 6:54 PM
Barry, when are you gonna introduce that "accessory connector" so that I can add an external display to save me from bending over from my poor eyesight?

Jim Becker
01-19-2006, 7:38 PM
HFirst of all, I see even .005 as being far more accurate than I'd be able to "see" via the linear scale of these machines or by eye.... If I'm trying to "sneak up" on a thickness on the drum sander, which is going to be so very, very critical, I'll still use a caliper for the final measurement, regardless of what method I'm using at the front end.

True, but I know with my drum sander (Performax 22-44 Plus), the height control is really very granular due to the way it's designed. It would be nice to be able to see that granularity as you crank it if you put a DRO on it. But good point...checking with a physical measurement is still important, if only to insure that you compensate or any "deviation from the plan" in a later step... ;)

Barry Wixey
01-19-2006, 7:39 PM
Barry, when are you gonna introduce that "accessory connector" so that I can add an external display to save me from bending over from my poor eyesight?

Bob:

So little time.... So many product improvements...... I don't know when ,but someday the next planer readout will have many improvements including easy to read while standing upright.

Jim Becker
01-19-2006, 7:46 PM

I have a different brand of DRO on the planer portion of my J/P and fabricated a bracket for this exact reason. Even though I have to bend down to make the height adjustment, the angled readout makes it so much easier to work with. But my particular DRO is a two-piece system that easily lends itself to this...Barry's current design will take a little more work for him to do that as he states. But it is a worthy goal and something I suspect some folks will be willing to pay for.

Bob Winkler
01-20-2006, 8:20 AM
Bob:

So little time.... So many product improvements...... I don't know when ,but someday the next planer readout will have many improvements including easy to read while standing upright.

Ok, I understand. Guess I'll have to do it myself. Good thing in my "real job" I have a fully equipped electronics lab at my disposal, and am often looking for some fun projects to work on at lunchtime. (keeps me from eating ;))

Bob

Tyler Howell
01-20-2006, 8:39 AM
Ok, I understand. Guess I'll have to do it myself. Good thing in my "real job" I have a fully equipped electronics lab at my disposal, and am often looking for some fun projects to work on at lunchtime. (keeps me from eating ;))

Bob

Bob,
I'll be looking forward to your new USB mod with supporting software:cool: