PDA

View Full Version : New planer/jointer combo arrived

Bryan Hunt
02-12-2022, 10:05 PM
I just upgraded my 8" jointer and 15" planer to a Felder AD941 16" planer/jointer combo. This thing is a beast. I'm fortunate to have a nice neighbor with a forklift. I ran some Hickory through it the other day and there was no snipe. And I mean zero snipe. I busted out the Starrett straight edge and the board was flat to within 0.004" (that is the thinnest feeler gauge I have). If anyone is in central Texas and are looking for a used jointer or planer, you can find my post in the classifieds.

Kendall Scheier
02-12-2022, 10:36 PM
I just upgraded my 8" jointer and 15" planer to a Felder AD941 16" planer/jointer combo. This thing is a beast. I'm fortunate to have a nice neighbor with a forklift. I ran some Hickory through it the other day and there was no snipe. And I mean zero snipe. I busted out the Starrett straight edge and the board was flat to within 0.004" (that is the thinnest feeler gauge I have). If anyone is in central Texas and are looking for a used jointer or planer, you can find my post in the classifieds.

that looks great, I’m glad you didn’t have to deal with the headache of shipping damage like we have heard other share… I have a similar machine in my future, congratulations on your cool toy!

Mark e Kessler
02-12-2022, 10:55 PM
I just upgraded my 8" jointer and 15" planer to a Felder AD941 16" planer/jointer combo. This thing is a beast. I'm fortunate to have a nice neighbor with a forklift. I ran some Hickory through it the other day and there was no snipe. And I mean zero snipe. I busted out the Starrett straight edge and the board was flat to within 0.004"

Beautiful, I love mine perfect results every time. The 0.004, from the planer I assume? What was the width of the piece ran?

Kurt Wyberanec
02-12-2022, 11:09 PM
Very nice good luck with it! I have a hammer a341 and love it... the 941 seems like basically the same machine on steroids so I'm sure it's great.

Mark e Kessler
02-12-2022, 11:17 PM
Very nice good luck with it! I have a hammer a341 and love it... the 941 seems like basically the same machine on steroids so I'm sure it's great.

The a341 not even remotely close to the ad941

Kurt Wyberanec
02-12-2022, 11:28 PM

How so mark? I know there are more cutters on the head and I think it has the power table and the folding guard and I imagine beefier steel....

Rod Sheridan
02-13-2022, 8:57 AM
How so mark? I know there are more cutters on the head and I think it has the power table and the folding guard and I imagine beefier steel....

The 941 is much larger and is 4 post planer rather than the Center post design in the Hammer and Felder 741 planers.

In general however all Felder and Hammer machines have zero snipe when properly calibrated and you can’t tell the difference between workpieces produced on the machines within size restraints.
Regards, Rod

Jim Becker
02-13-2022, 9:14 AM
Congratulations on your new J/P, Bryan! That's a really fine machine and I'm glad it's already meeting or exceeding expectations. Good tools are a pleasure...

Mark e Kessler
02-13-2022, 9:22 AM

Just want to clarify I am not saying the a341 isn’t a capable machine just that it is a different class, I know there are plenty of folks that are happy with it.

Christopher Stahl
02-13-2022, 12:32 PM
Bryan, I'm in Leander too. When do I get to come over and check out those toys? :-) I'm purchasing a slider but haven't decided on which one yet.

Kurt Wyberanec
02-13-2022, 1:54 PM
The 941 is much larger and is 4 post planer rather than the Center post design in the Hammer and Felder 741 planers.

In general however all Felder and Hammer machines have zero snipe when properly calibrated and you can’t tell the difference between workpieces produced on the machines within size restraints.
Regards, Rod

Didn't know about the post difference good to know and I could see it being a factor especially if doing a lot of heavy lumber...I haven't seen the results off the 741 but I'm pretty sure it has more cutters which in turn I would think might leave a slightly cleaner surface... the surface off my a341 is very good but you can still see machine marks if you look closely...I have seen some planers though usually not indexable heads that can leave a perfect finish that look like they came off a hand smoother.... that said tear out has definitely been reduced from my old straight knives and I would think even better for the 741....

How much of a price increase is there from the hammer?

Erik Loza
02-13-2022, 2:06 PM
Bryan, your shops is amazing! I've been doing double-duty since we're short-handed in the Dallas office but need to grab a beer with you once things settle down. :)

Erik

Andrew Hughes
02-13-2022, 2:10 PM
+1 on the tidy clean shop.
Looks cleaner then some of the hospitals I work at.
Good Luck with new machine

Mike Wilkins
02-13-2022, 11:15 PM
Nice toy you have there. It must be the big brother to my A3-41.
Your shop looks cleaner than some hospital rooms. Looks like a fun place to play.

Bryan Hunt
02-14-2022, 7:12 PM
Christopher, You are welcome to stop by and see my shop. I also have a slider you can check out.

Bryan Hunt
02-14-2022, 7:14 PM
I have Shiner Bock in the fridge. You are welcome to stop by.