PDA

View Full Version : Help with turning

Don Farr
07-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Good morning everyone. I need some suggestions on books for the beginner turner. I normally can and enjoy figuring things out on my own. But I just can't seem to get the hang of this.

Happy Brithday Dr. Zack Jennings. Looks like we have the same B-day. and to all the others on this day.

Charles Bjorgen
07-19-2003, 7:39 PM
Don -- My first turning book was recommended by a fellow woodturner who became a very good woodturning friend. It is called "Woodturning: A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley. There is also a companion video to this book. I have since recommended this book to other new turners and all have praised it for helping them get started. As you progress in your turning skills, you'll probably want to take a look at some of the Richard Raffan books as well. But the Rowley book will get you started well. I made many of my initial turning tool purchases from recommendations in this book.

Good morning everyone. I need some suggestions on books for the beginner turner. I normally can and enjoy figuring things out on my own. But I just can't seem to get the hang of this.

David Peebles
07-20-2003, 12:46 AM
Hello Don,

First of all--- HAPPY BIRTHDAY----.

Second, This is not a book, but a site I found by Bruce Campbell a couple of weeks ago. It has some great info for beginning woodturners.

http://www.artisansworkbench.com/FoF/A-index_FoF.htm

Best wishes,
Dave

Don Farr
07-20-2003, 9:25 AM
Thanks guys, Good info. Just what I need.

Jim Becker
07-20-2003, 11:13 AM
Good morning everyone. I need some suggestions on books for the beginner turner.

Actually, rather than books, I recommend you consider the various videos available from the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org), Taunton and other sources. Seeing is much more powerful than reading when it comes to turning, although books are a wonderful source of ideas and technique considerations. Some books also have accompanying videos available that compliment each other.

Also, get involved with your local AAW chapter for some mentoring...same deal as the videos, but a bit more personalized. Turners, as a group, are very generous with their time in helping others in my experience.

Brad Hammond
07-20-2003, 3:22 PM
Actually, rather than books, I recommend you consider the various videos available from the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org), Taunton and other sources. Seeing is much more powerful than reading when it comes to turning, although books are a wonderful source of ideas and technique considerations. Some books also have accompanying videos available that compliment each other.

Also, get involved with your local AAW chapter for some mentoring...same deal as the videos, but a bit more personalized. Turners, as a group, are very generous with their time in helping others in my experience.

Don,
i second the A/V side of the discussion. i'd also suggest checking the A/V section of the library. my local library had 3-4 great videos for turning. they pretty much covered the whole process-green wood to turning ornaments and boxes.
they've even got a couple of bandsaw videos for which i'm waiting to be returned.

cya
brad